First time grower with questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by folied, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Today, I was talking to my father about weed. He is ok with me using and he was worried about the gateway drug effect. I told him that its not cannabis its self that is a gateway drug, but the environment that cannabis is in leads itself to access to other harder drugs. He is ok with me usage because I don't smoke cigarretes or drink, and I don't fight with my parents and I keep my grades up. He said that I could grow 1 plant for my own personal usage, as he'd rather not have me go to dealers.

He said it needs to be stealthy so my mom doesn't find out about it. I live in the basement and it will be in a closet. I have read about grow boxes , but I know nothing about them. In order to grow 1 plant at around 1 oz yield, how big would the grow box have to be, what kind of lights would I have to use, what kind of nutrients and all. I am reading as much as I can as I am so excited to make the jump into growing and I honestly think my dad is going to get into it as well, as he usually takes up interest in the things I do for some reason.

What would I need? how much money would I be looking to spend? I currently only have 70$ but I could easily make another 200-250+ to spend on this grow box.

2. what size is your closet and how much can you use???

3. I'm not sure on the exact closet size but its a pretty damn big closet. I could probably use a good half of the closet. I'm only allowed to grow 1 plant though, wouldn't want to grow more and have this privilege taken away.

4. good to know.. cause that's a loop hole in itself... 1 plant could be 5ft tall. and you could get a qp from it.

5. why don't you think about school for now!!! plenty of time for this latter. 2 THINGS;1 smack your father!!! 2 someone tell your mom!!! HOW OLD ARE YOU ANYWAY? 13-14?:devious:

6. Actually, I'm a fresh 18 year old. Don't shit on my thread thank you.

Anyway, my dad decided that we don't need to use the closet and we can use the wooden shed, it gets electric and everything. I'm thinking a 250 watt hps to grow maybe a 4 foot tall plant?

7. rule of thumb is 100watts for first plant and 50w for any additional ones.

250w would be generous....

8. I'm growing in a 3.5x3.5x7ft closet w/ a 400w mh for flowering and 400w hps for flowering just one plant. I'll let you know how it goes.

9. First of all, is your mom a snoop? If you grow in a shed remember the weather. hot outside=hot temps and freezing cold outside= frozen plants. I use a 250w in a DIY tent. They're great if you keep the plants short(LST or Scrog) but don't have great penetration after about 2 feet. For 1 plant I suggest scrog. You can have a long veg period to fill a fairly large screen and still get the penetration for your buds and lots of buds. I think it's the best way to maximize a 250w.

10. #10 hippierider, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    don't like a Thread...Don't post in it

11. holy shit man.. if you don't have anything good to add to the thread leave..

12. #12 JesterCS, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009

Lol where do you live. This state. 1 plant is 100 dollar fine >< no jail time.

13. Yeah his mom wouldn't really get put in jail. Regardless of whether it's possible under whatever jusidiction's laws, it's be extremely unlikely that such a charge would ever be filed, let alone make it through a pre-trial process. The kid's only growing one plant.

14. The sucky part is... 1 plant is counted as 100g here.. and if you live within 1500 feet of a school its double fine ><

15. If possible I would try to explain to your dad that only female plants produce smokable bud and ask if he would mind if you veg 4 or 5 plants to make sure you get a female.

I am in the same situation you are in somewhat, as my dad is perfectly fine with me smoking, but I haven't a clue about my mom. How did the conversation about you growing come up with your father? I'd like to talk to my dad about it but I feel as though I need to ease into it.

16. Ive found the best way is give them the reasoning side =p

Spend less money
    Less likely to get caught out in public buying it
    and dont tell anyone =p except us of course

17. Yeah but how do you ease into it? It seems weird to just say "hey dad, would you mind if I grew marijuana?"

also sorry for hijacking your thread mate

18. The way my dad found out was is he is nosey, but not much into conflict.. so at first he told me to get rid of it.

I told him i couldnt cuz it was worth alot, and Id save money. He said no more after the first one.. course im on the second one.

Best bet is to find articles on the medicinal qualities, how harmless it is, etc. Not much more I can say without knowing your dad =D

19. have a friend doing 90 days for his 16 year old. his son planted it in the back yard and someone seen it! the father didn't even know what it was!that didn't matter! o yea by the way he lost his job! not trying to come down on any adults [take responsibility for their own actions in their own space] but it sucks when someone don't care about the people around them!

20. sucks to be him