First Time grower with questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Pitt, Apr 17, 2003.

1. I have one plant about 1 1/2 weeks old... still a seedling...
    Using two 24" flourescant plant growing lights.... and have a 175W HPS to set up as soon as plant gets a bit bigger...

My questions is is this too much for just one plant?

Thanxxx

2. u should just use the hps and the floro's now:) keep the hps on the same amount of light the floro's are on each day.and thats not to much light just make sure the hps is not to close dont want the plant to burn
    but ya the more light the better

3. As Charlie said pout both on.... Keep your hps about 18 inches or so from the top of your plants, you want the temp abover your planst to stay around 80 or so... This distance should keep it around that.... I would place your fluros to the sides of plants so you have surrounded light...

4. Thanks for the advice... Its most appreciated...

I got a few more questions If ya dont mind...

1. I have the lights on 24 hrs right now.... When should I switch to 22/2.... or 18/6.....???

2. When should I start with the fertilizer?

Thanxx again,...

Pitt

5. firstly, put the HPS approx 8" from the tops of the plants, as long as the temp is o.k......block up a normal thermometer to the height of the highest plant and keep the temp between 70-80.......when the light is this close the temp will raise, hence why you should have a fan blowing across the tops of the plants.....this distance will help make the plants more bushy.......i keep my lights on 24/0 for veg and then straight to 12/12 when they hit approx 12-18"......however if you want a bigger yield and have room, and also time then grow bigger........just bear in mind that the plant will double or triple in size when fully flowered.........as for the ferts, only after approx 20 days....or before if you like but 1/4 strength....hope this helps......Peace out.....Sid

6. Sid, thanks for the follow up advice... again I appreciate your tips... your most wiseful advice helps...

.... I think I may have a problem... I added the Hps... it sits approx... 8 - 10" from the top of the plant....I got a digital thermometer/humidity device that reads 82 degrees and 43 % humidity and I have two 24" plant flours. lights on the side...
    The stem probably grew 3" since yesterday, but its skinny and about to tip over... like its got no support... This is day 11... and I still only have the 2 initial leaves (although i think there called cotylodon) plus 2 more... really skinny though... not bushy AT ALL!!...

could I have possibly shocked the plant somehow?

should I can this plant since its only 11 days old, and start a new one??

Thanxxx...

Pitt

======================================
    Wiser is the man that knows, what he does not know!
    - Socrates

7. never give up on plant as long as it's still alive......here's what to do......bury the plant in as much soil as possible......over the cotyledons......and raise the light till it ready under 80......if the plant is still weak then support it using a small stick.....don't tie it on too tight as the stalk will get bigger quite quickly......and put the fan on it at a slow to moderate setting......this will strengthen the stalk.....make sure it doesn't run out of water, but not too much and take it from there......good luck.....Peace out.....Sid

8. Right ON.. Sid...

I will try this... and keep you posted on any changes...

what would happen in the case the cotylodon crimpled over or even fell off??... would that kill a plant??...

Would a root in the dirt or even the stalk be able to continue growing??

Just want to know as much as I can, in case of any surprises.

Pitt...!

Wiser is the man that knows, what he does not know!
    - Socrates

9. sorry not 18... i meant around 8.... thanks SiD.....

10. hey pitt the cotylodon will fall off anyway and so will the one singal leaf to.this wont kill the plant its normal for this to happen the cotylodon is just there to help get the plant thru the seedling stage after the cotylodon and the 2 singal leaves fall off no more should fall of till ur in 12/12 the reason they fall of is kuz there not getting enough light and the plant is putting everything into makeing budds but this ok with indoor the lower leaves mostly always go yellow or fall off so dont worrie as long as the yellowing dosen't move up all ur leaves u should be fine
    hope that helps some

charlie067

11. OK...

this is the situation....
    the cotylodon and the first weird looking leaf look dead there basically just hanging there... the stem/stalk still looks pretty sturdy though....

what should i do? is this plant dead... can the stem/stalk still grow/produce another set of leaves...? seems that the root has taken a pretty nice hold in the dirt...

any Mary Jane doctors have any advice for this sick dying plant?

Pitt....

12. sorry not 18... i meant around 8.... thanks SiD.....

your welcome mate.......as for the plant in hand......all you can do is wait and see.....but if the leaves are bad then it may be too late, if they canot be used for photosynthesis, then the plant will not grow......just have to wait and see.......Peace out.......Sid

13. ..............................
    I think it's safe to declare the time of death....
    April 18th, 1:32pm.....

She lived a good 12 1/2 days....
    and is remembered by her beloved grower Pitt...

I wanna thank everyone for their support,
    and I will be trying again, I am comitted to growing a strong beautiful plant, this quest is not over.......

any recommendation on obtaining good quality seeds, that will be able to be shipped to CaLi????

Late

Pitt