First time grower, tons of questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kaworu517, May 22, 2008.

1. I think I may be overcomplicating things...

I want to start growing my own marijuana soon, and all I really have left to do is get the equipment and tools. I've been making a list of things to get by looking through various guides. I've tried to limit the list to just the basic needs, but I think may be confusing what exactly is and isn't a basic need.

Lights(MH, HPS, Fluro, ballast, reflector), soil, containers, thermometer/hygrometer, fan, foil/white paint, pH/EC tests, and various fertilizers. All necessary, right? Well, going by "Good" from "Best" at HTGSupply, all of that would range anywhere from $300 to $800. I could afford $300(maybe a bit more), but would it be worth it? Are all of these things really necessary? Have I gone about this horribly wrong and should start back at square one?

I plan on getting a nightstand to grow in. Because of the small space I'll have, do I have to worry about ventilation? I know I'll need a fan, but to ventilate, could I just open the door every now and then? How much odor will a few plants put off? Could I leave a window open? I'm asking this because alot of guides I've read are about how to grow on a large scale, or at least, larger than what I think I'll need to grow. I don't want a "Closet Operation" and I don't want to build a humongous, custom built grow box/tent. I want to grow enough for myself and a friend. That's it.

I also plan on using the LST method because of the limited verticle space I'll have. I've already asked some questions at that thread, so I'll link it here.

Now about lights. Do I have to use Fluro, then HPS, then MH? Alot of guides will say to use a Fluro for the seedlings, then the HPS, then MH. Others say that HPS is an all rounder and in the next sentece tell me that I have to switch to MH for the flowering stage. I've also seen guides that say I can use a Fluro for the entire time. Too many guides contradict themselves, or perhaps I'm just not understanding.

What about the wattage? If one or plants are enough for me, do I have use 400 watt bulbs? I already know I won't have alot of space, so I use a lower watt bulb, can I put it closer? I know 400W is the good medium for lights, but would it be overkill for me?

Is a ph/EC meter necessary? Can I use the test strips, or those not accurate enough when compared a ditigal probe?

pH adjusters, nutrients, and ferts...they don't cost much, but which ones do I really need?

That just about covers all of the main questions I had. I'm sure there are some I've forgotten and I'll have more as time goes on, but I would greatly appreciate it if I could get some help with my current problems. I did this in the other thread, but I do apologize if this thread is adding to the redundancy of this forum. The thing about me is that I'm a nerd. I like to know as much as possible and feel as comfortable as possible before I start something. That involves researching for hours/days on end and asking tons of questions on forums. I know that this will be a trial and error process, but I want to try and limit the amount of errors as much as I can.

I know there's no precise way to answer all of my questions, but the the information throughout all the guides I've seen varies too much. They all share the same basic formula, so I understand that, but it's the details that get me lost.

Thank you to anyone who helps.