First time grower seeking advice/help!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by phaeded, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hello all I am new here and a newbie to the cannabis growing world which is probably why I find myself here in this newbie forum asking for help!

Basically I have a bunch of babies I have started for the up coming outdoor season. I have them inside in my closet which I leave the door open to for most of the day so that it doesnt get too hot. By open I mean a few inches enough for fresh air to get in and out. I started with a bunch of bag seeds which yes I know isnt always great to start with but I am a newb and figured I would try and just learn a few things this year before really spending money on seeds or clones next year. Anyways I am just going to make a list as to what I do and have and then post a picture or 2.

Setup.
    5 cfls (daytime light - veg stage lights) all about 4 or 5 inches above the tops of my babies.

-The grow space is small but the temps and humidity are usually good and I have good air circulation. temps are from 72-82, humidity around 33-45.

-Plastic cups filled with FAFARD FARMS custom mix. The custom has nothing to tell me what is in it but the guy at the nursery told me its an organic mix with no ferts added, not sure if I believe him or not.(this could be part of my problem)

-Water usually a very small amount once a day when I notice the top of the soil looks a dry. I havent tested the water yet (yes, this could also be an issue) but its good tap drinking water that is fed from a local spring I believe. (I live out in the woods)

Problem.
    -I am notice some of the leaves are starting to curl under and the tips of some are just starting to turn slightly yellow. From what I understand this may be cause form over watering but I dont think I am over watering too much but what do I know, I am a newbie!! Thats why I am here asking you guys what you think.

Since writing this I have noticed some of the plants doing a little bit better but some others with slightly more yellow and brown on the tips and some more curling from different plants. I decided to go from a 24hr cycle to a 20/4 cycle as these plants will be going outside in the future and wanted to have them ready for that light change rather than going straight from 24hrs on..

I have also switched the water I am using to a store bought distilled water as I dont know if I had some type of problem with my water. My tap water is from a local spring I am imaging but goes through a lot and I am guessing a few filters before it ends up coming out of my tap. I hear this can cause problems with your plants sometimes. I also have been adding a verrrry small touch of apple cider vinegar to my water as my soil pH was reading a little above 7.. but barely. I am using a reditest or whatever it is ph/light/moister/fertility tester. I do plan on grabbing a digital tester this weekend so I REALLY know whats going on!

Thanks guys, any suggestion would be great and much appreciated. Cheers all and I look forward to hanging out with yall through the internet now! haha

I am stuck right now, is it my water, my soil, under watering/over watering!?! I am lost and thats why I am here! Maybes its all of those haha.

A friend of mine at the local nursery says they swear by this Fafard Farms Custom Mix shit. They use it for all of their plants and seedlings there and say its great stuff! My friend is actually my dads friend and knows what I am doing with this soil, he is a very knowledgeable man and says he isnt steering me wrong with this Fafard Farms stuff!

Thanks guys sorry for the long first post and now to some pictures!

Since these pictures have been taken(Yesterday) I have added more water as one suggestion received was that they are far too dry. They look nice and damp now(the soil does).

Setup
    [​IMG]

Curling leave/yellowing/browning
    [​IMG]

Yellowing tip
    [​IMG]

Yellow/Brown Tips
    [​IMG]

What I am considering to be healthy( I AM A NOOOB!!)
    [​IMG]

2. also I lowered the lights back down a hair, especially the front 2.

also tomorrow I plan on hitting up lowes and grabbing about 5 or 6 more lights to put in there.

3. The images are broken for me, can you try again?

More going on than should probably be commented on without pics/more info, but I'd wager the mix is fine, if not a little hot for germinating. Are your cups draining completely? If you're watering everyday, you're likely overwatering. Def get a digital pH pen and hold off on those additional lights if they are household bulbs...get something bigger.

Check this out: http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/73015-grandpas-grow-guide.html from the stickies above. ^

Good luck!

4. Pictures may be broken because I am taking them off of shhh (rollitup.org) I didnt sayyy that ahhh!! Anyways dont yell at me I obviously came here because I really wasnt getting help there and heard this is the place to be anyways!

Let me give these pics another try!!

Attached Files:

5. for some reason I cant get the photo of what I am calling a healthy plant to upload!!!! AHH!!! And yes it may not be healthy but I would say it is, what do I know though, I am a NOOOB!!

why will this not upload on any site I try what the hell! I have 2 sites I can upload photos to, this one and a ski website. Neither one will upload 2 different photos I am trying.. I uploaded the 4 images above then tried another right after and it wont work! Tried restarting browser and internet and still nothing! Owell!

From what I can tell it honestly looks very healthy for a youngen, very nice green color second set of leaves starting nicely, everything looks great.... but the ones above!! What is wrong!?!

Also my drain holes are in the bottom sides of the cup, do I need them in the very bottom of the cup instead of the sides?

I had one cup that didnt sprout well so I just filled it heavily with water and it came pouring pretty good out of my side cuts... just wondering if holes on the bottom would be better?

Thanks guys! I will try the photo again at some point!