First Time Grower: Purple Kush Fem

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tala0410, Jan 29, 2018.

1. #1 tala0410, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    This is my first ever grow. Super amateur, but everybody starts somewhere. :smoke:

I’m growing 5 Feminized Purple Kush from Crop King Seeds.
    I germinated with their method and planted taproot in soil. They all spouted within a day.
    They are 1 week old today and two out of 5 plants were stretching due to the light being so far away. I realized the issue and moved the light about 18 inches above the seedlings.

Also, yes I know I have some small wood chips in my soil. I wasn’t aware that the soil had wood chips until after I planted them, because I mixed a local with another organic soil as well as perlite. but they’re in solo cups so I’ll avoid that type of local soil when I go to transplant.

***i have one seedling that went straight into one cotyledon and has done nothing else in the week.... the stalk looks healthy and thick as far as I can tell, but still nothing. It’s only been a week and I’m not giving up on it yet.*** pic attached of it.

1000w LED Bestva
    48x24x60 Yaheetech Grow Tent.

**temp is staying about 76-83 degrees, 18/6 for lights**
    Let me know how they look, give me some tips and constructive criticism.

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to the journey! What light are you using and what's the size of your grow space?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Oops! I meant to add that!!

1000w Bestva LED and my tent is a Yaheetech 48x24x60!

• Like Like x 1
  4. [​IMG]

A little bit of stretching going on, but not to the point they're falling over because they're so top-heavy. Do you have a fan blowing air on them to strengthen their stems? Also, do you know the PAR value of your grow light at the distance its at above the plants, and how high is the light set above them? I have a 269 actual watt LED (600w HPS replacement supposedly) that's about 24" above my test plant, and at half power, so my week-old seedling has a PAR value of roughly ~260 which is a touch higher than recommended for this stage of 200 umol per m2/s, but she hasn't shown any signs of light burn or stretching and has been responding well - now working on her second set of true serrated leaves.

20180128_174505.jpg 600watt_PAR.jpg

5. We had the light about 3ft away, but once we realized the issue, we moved it down and it sits 18” over the plants. Is that right? You may have to dumb it down for me

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Add more dirt to cup but don’t fill to high it’ll help support stem, throw a fan on em to build strength for stem but not on high low lvl.

7. 18"-24" is a good recommended distance between your LEDs and your plant. Each plant is different and some can tolerate more intense lighting than others so you have to tweak it; closer if you see stretching but farther if you start to see light burn. At a distance of a foot and a half you should be a lot better off than 3 feet, especially since your light is only 185 true watts, might even be able to let the plants grow up to within 12 inches of the light and then keep slowly raising it so your LEDs stay a foot above the tops as they grow.

8. #9 tala0410, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Purple Kush are a week and a half old today!

Had some stretching but fixed the issue and the plants seem to be loving the change.

Noticed a little white on the very tips of my one of my plants first true leaves. It hasn’t gotten worse. Not sure what it could be though considering my other plants are fine.

Also have one that’s done literally nothing beyond sprouting into one cotyledon. Gonna keep trying tho

My temp is average about 82 degrees. Too hot??

Also what humidity is good to keep during seedling?

Attached Files:

9. 75 to 80 I would say lil color on leaf could be anything maybe seed stuck who knows just watch fan leaves. Transplant when roots out the bottom and leaves touch edge of cup. Plant won’t get huge because it’s spending more energy on roots. What nutrience are you using?

10. As of right now the only nutes I’m giving them is Fox Farm Big Bloom Twice a week. I didn’t want to overload them since they’re so young.

11. Yeah smart man. I’m an indica guy as well are you gunna grow em out natural, top em, lst, or throw em n a scrog

12. #13 ecowarrior2, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    I grow with 1000w LED Bestva
    what I would like to know is how far do you have your lights away from your plants when in flowering
    the reason I ask this is that I only got 15 oz off 6 plants and I had 3 x 1000 watt leds and an addition viparspectra 300w.
    i had my lights set at 18 inches above my plants until now.

w