First Time Grower Needs Help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by dew2, Jan 26, 2010.

1. I've never grown before but have been smoking for a while. I have a few questions before I decide to grow or not. BTW I live in New England so I don't have a giant span of time where it's warm enough and I only planned on doing 1 to 3 plants total, and will be using bag seeds. These questions may sound stupid but please help me out.

1. I know male plants are bad, but do you HAVE to get rid of them or can u still smoke them?

2. If I were to be gone for a week or 2, would it be fine without me (provided they got enough rain)?

3. Is the soil truly that important, or can I basically plant it and water it when needed but basically let it grow?

4. Can I figure on 8-9 weeks from planting to harvesting, or can it vary greatly?

2. 1. I know male plants are bad, but do you HAVE to get rid of them or can u still smoke them?
    Male plants are bad and should be removed from your growing area. I don't save them or try to smoke them. You could smoke them but you won't get high.

2. If I were to be gone for a week or 2, would it be fine without me (provided they got enough rain)?
    You plants should be fine.

3. Is the soil truly that important, or can I basically plant it and water it when needed but basically let it grow?
    Yes, to both questions. For max performance soil should provide a moist, airy and nutritious medium. If the natural soil supports plant growth, then your plants should live too, but they may not thrive.

4. Can I figure on 8-9 weeks from planting to harvesting, or can it vary greatly?
    You can figure on 8-9 weeks from the onset of flowering to harvest. Figure more like 16-20 weeks from planting to harvest.

3. I would advise you to spend some time reading the outdoor forums to gain as much knowledge as possible on outdoor growing. I would also suggest buying some rooted clones of a good strain for your area. I don't know what things are like in your area but around here if you are in the know there are many people selling clones in the spring. Usual price about $10 each or $100 per dozen.

4. I agree, i would rate your knowledge as weak to very weak on the subject of growing herb, males aren't smokeable they dont even grow anything that resembles buds on them, You definitely want to change the soil no matter where you live, PERLITE PERLITE PERLITE, and dont forget over watering kills more plants than not getting enough water so early in your plants life just be careful.