First time grower - Need some guidance on lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by J_b0nes, Oct 27, 2018.

1. These are the bulbs i currently have
    Feit Electric BR30/GROW/LEDG2 LED Grow Light Bulb, BR30, 9-Watts x 4

I have a Ballast for two T8 Lamp's, these are the bulbs i had in mind
    T8 Tube LED Grow Light 36 Watt. Full Spectrum - T5/T8 Led Lights - LED Grow Lights

I was going to place my lights in this fashion
    0 0
    ------------
    ------------
    0 0

the space is a 4.5 ft x 2ft x 6ft,
    room sq ft is 4.5x2=9
    the BR30 is "65w" x 4 = 260w
    the T5 LED is "72w" x 2 = 144w
    260+144 = 404w
    404w/9 = 44.8w per square ft

Lumen would be
    3,000 per t8
    800 per Br30
    9,200 Lumen / 9 = 1022 Lumen per square ft.

Am i going in the right direction with what im doing, I read that you want something like 2,500 lumen pr sq ft
    How accurate is that, are these lights worth using? etc

Guidance is appreciated ty!

Attached Files:

2. i will be blunt. throw all those into the trash. keep the t8 but do NOT buy the bulb you have pictured it JUNK. buy these bulbs they are very good in my opinion better then the new t5. MainsFit T8 LED | Philips Lighting i personally swear by using these bulbs they keep very happy plants and they veg fast and you can flower with them and the quality you get from these bulbs is amazing. you could go out buy many t8 sockets for about 10 bucks each run a lot of these bulbs to do a large area you would be very happy. i edit this if you were to go out drop a few hundred on these to do a room lets say a 10/10 you could have a very successful grow room.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I agree. T5 or t8 are great to veg under. I gave mine to a broke friend and now wish I had mine. So for flower outside is #1 in my book or get a new samsung qb or hortilux bulbs in ur 315cmh like I do

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  4. Don't know what your budget is, but if you can afford them, check out Quantum Boards. Horticulture Lighting Group is a good place to start.

• Like Like x 2
  5. this is incorrect,
    BR30's = 9w each
    9w x 4 =36w
    72w x 2 = 144w
    180w / 9 sq ft = 20 watts per square foot, not even enough to veg under,
    180w of floro/small led would flower 2.5 sq ft, about a 1' x 2.5' area.

to flower the whole 4.5' x 2' area would take....
    500-700 watts of HID or Floro or low what LED (BR30's)
    450-550 watts of Blurple or chinese LED
    300-350 watts of QB or COB

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Why do you take the Raw W of the BR30 LED but not the Raw wattage of the t8 LED?
    I feel you made the mistake :p

its either 9w and 36w (True)
    or 65w and 72w (marketed)

the br30 LED bulbs are 3300k full spectrum

7. I'm not really into just hanging a light over top of my plants and calling it a day, building a custom lighting cabinet that feeds lights from 360 degree's just trying to find the best combination to build

8. Thank you!

9. Quantum boards are not hang and walk away
    DIY[​IMG]
    Aim them angle them
    Two little wires to power supply
    And it will light up your world[​IMG]
    Example the latest board heatsink combo
    200w, reds, deep reds, and 64 top of the line state of the art Samsung diodes $99
    4-120’s on Amazon ( when in stock) $122
    Power supply $31
    You can’t find lights of this quality, for the price!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 3
  10. The closet i have is 4.5x4.5 ft, im just building a cabinet in the closet.
    Would it be wiser to use the whole area of the closet then and go with a traditonal set up like posted above?
    I'm just thinking with a larger room i will start to lose lumos density and would need more lighting

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’m in a 4x4 and 32”x32”x50” tents qb’s all around, and they run cool
    Perfect for closet/cabinet
    WWW.HORTICULTURALLIGHTINGGROUP

@ I love growing weed

12. #12 J_b0nes, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Great, thank you! I'm glad i decided to come here before i started my build haha.

Are these lights in the same region as the ones you linked?
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.fluorescent-32w-t8-48-daylight-6500k---10-pack.1000456396.html

t8 6500K 32w Fluorescents though

Or are these the better option
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....ight-5000k---case-of-10-bulbs.1000842546.html

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nothing you find at Home Depot will properly flower cannabis. You can build some veg lights out of T5’s or cfls.

Quantum boards are the best lights available currently. Hunter gave you some good info and links above

[​IMG][​IMG]

I’m also giving away a king plus led if you want to stop over and participate

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/new-growers-only-win-this-light.1523246/

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. NO . I’m telling you these lights are it!!
    Check out any Qb thread
    Fluorescent bulbs are fine
    Question. Do you want to go big for a few dollars more. If you have budget restraints, ok
    35k for flower 65k for veg

@ I love growing weed

15. its worse then i thought.!! LOL

i swapped from 400w HPS to Qb's and my plants LOVE them.!!
    floro and small LED's r usable, but QB's will rock some great bud.!!!!!!
    WIN_20180404_19_04_05_Pro.jpg WIN_20180404_19_05_57_Pro.jpg WIN_20180831_16_00_51_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. please do not knock those t8 led i suggested until you try . i have flowered with them and i was surprised what i got from them. yield was less but the quality was higher then hps . the sugar was falling off the plants onto the floor yeah that much . these t8 led will not have as much yield as a qb board a qb board will have about 20 to 30% more for a beginner with zero lights on a super budget there winners

• Like Like x 2