First Time Grower Need Help With Light Proofing

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by the420owl, Jul 15, 2014.

1. I am a first time grower and currently in set-up stage of my grow room. I'm using a 2x6x10 closet. I took of the doors off and am using a sheet of panda film with a zipper as my door. I'm concerned about making it fully light tight as well as making the intake/exhaust holes light tight. I'm planning on using an 6" air cooled lighting system attached to a carbon filter. So I'll have the 6" exhaust. Do I need two 6" passive intake holes? And how do I get that all light tight? Any suggestions, advice, and pics is greatly appreciated! Help a brotha out!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Hey since your going to be using panda film light tight should be easy...you need at least a 3_4 mil film and staple your corners (hinges) to the main wall so u can open like door ...tape hiside hinges with reflect ive tape. get a 2x4 or 1x2 for the foot of the door so the panda film has something to velcro lock on ...use velxro and zipper to finish her up....just one passive intake until you know if its going to be enogh to cool the room .if still too hot with setup make hole as desired. ...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 Atmo, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Yes, 2x 6" intakes. I think generally having twice the area of your exhaust hole is good for passive intakes. You can light proof them various ways. A lot of people, if they have the room, either use 2 90 degree bends in PVC tubing and spray paint the insides flat black. Or you could use 6" flexible ducting and make a few bends in it. There are other options, on my last box I put a box over the passive intake with a separating wall in it. So the light has to travel into the box, up the box, then down the box into the passive intakes - this worked great for me but isn't so elegant.
    There are also darkroom vents, but those tend to have poor air-flow and you will need a lot of them.

What I plan on doing is creating my own. Basically taking a bunch of M shaped metal strips sitting on top of each other with spacers glued to the ends (if that makes sense) So it will essentially be a large stack of M's. There is a DIY thread on another forum about it - the first post is not 100% light proof, which is why I am going the M or N shaped option (for between veg and flower chambers) - read through all the posts, though, it's an awesome and informative thread on this subject!