First time grower, long time smoker

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Doc-J, Aug 1, 2011.

1. What would you recommend besides topsoil, I'm going to transplant them in a few weeks(or whenever they are ready) to a 3 gal pots, I've got to make a new batch of soil anyways since I only made enough for 3 gals? Any advice would be appreciated.

Well I've learned my lesson with top soil...lol

2. Because when I bought it, I didn't know any better. That was before I found the forums here, and I hadn't really started doing any reading. I planted the basil in it because I had top soil, empty pots, and basil seeds. For whatever it is worth, now that the top soil has been amended with a ton of perlite, my basil is growing great. I wont be using it again though as I said. I actually took three large bags of it I had left and used them to fill in an outside landscaping area.

3. I would go with some type of premium potting soil. Most people here seem to recommend fox farms or happy frog, but those aren't available to me at the moment. I am limited on travel ability until my car gets fixed, and haven't been able to check home depot or lowes to see what they have. All Walmart carries here is the cheap earthgrow stuff, and a bunch of prenuted miracle grow crap. Sure I can order online, but the shipping will kill you on large amounts of soil.

4. Go to foxfarms website it will tell u where u can find their product, home depot soils are gonna gave fubgus gnats. Top soil is the dirt on top of Good soil and holds no nutrients. You can also buy any potting soil and mix in nutrients. Ive mixxed in blood meal bone meal and dolomite limestone along with perlite and a little peat moss to make a nutrient packed soil base to work with...sadly this does cost money but its worth it in the long run. U can find forums on here for making your own soil i just dobt have ablink for it off the top of my head.

5. #25 Doc-J, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    Looks like there is only one store around me that carries fox farm, a hydroshop. Not sure if I want the security risk of going to a local hydro store. The cops around here have been known for staking out Walmart and following people who made suspicious purchases so they can pull them over. Lord only knows how close they are watching the only hydro store in town.

Either way, mine seem to have done ok so far even with the cheap ass soil and perlite. As long as the drainage and retention are good, and nutrients arent out of whack cannabis will grow in just about anything.

6. Just trying to help

7. Day 21: Installed 6" 424 cfm fan from htg venting into the attic to repalce regular bath vent fan. I was able to turn my thermostat back up 4 degreess to where I normally keep it, and average temps at down to 77 with max of 81 over the past two days. Decided to remove one plant that was well underdevloped compared to he others. I know there is a chance I could have gotten something off of it, but decided not to expend any more time or resources on it.

Day 22:

Just over the three week mark in to veg. Temps are finally down, I think I got a bit of heat stress on a few leaves, could be minor nute burn as well though. New growth is looking good though so I think that storm has passed with very minimal damage.

Attached Files:

8. They look a little over-watered, you can sorta tell by the leaves drooping and starting to curl under. (Just my amateur opinion). My girls are on day 25, but the leaves dont droop nearly as much as yours. How often do you water? I water about once every 4-5 days right now, or until the pot feels light.

9. I water every three or four days

10. Looking good. I started out with a closet grow now look where i am.( check out my grow)

I will never run out of weed and i dont have to deal with shady dealer. NO MORE 40 dollars eighths!

11. #31 Doc-J, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    Well, here we are, Ive lost track of my day count. I am two days short of seven weeks. I had some issues two weeks ago, which I though was nute burn from mg perlite. Turns out I was having nute defficiency issues. The thread with that information, and some photos is here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/893683-transplanting-root-damage-nutes.html

For those not interested in going to another thread, the basic repercussions were I ended up transplanting. Some root damage occured during transplant, which stunted growth temporarily in 4 of the plants. One of them didnt recover and was pulled. Upon pulling that plant, it still had no new root growth so I dont think it would have caught up before the rest were ready to flower.

Corrected nute issues by feeding 1/4 strength, foliar feeding throughout the week, and feeding half strength the following watering.

The others had lower leaves severely damaged, and I trimmed those leaves off basically lollipopping the plants. New leafs are starting to come in on the lower portions of the stem where the dead leaves were removed, and new growth is coming on quickly now.

Plants are right at 6 and 7" tall now, hopefully another week or two can get these up to about a foot tall, and ready to flip.

Attached Files:

12. are you pinching off all the lower growth? thats your plants should be 2 feet tall if its been 7 weeks

13. No the lower growth was clipped because the leaves had died off from extreme damage. Seems I was following the general consensus that these plants didnt really need nutes in the first month. Evidently that didnt apply in my case, because at 4 weeks in I was getting drastic signs of what I thought was nute burn from a light feeding, but turned out to be a deficiency. Thinking that the mg perlite was I had used was causing burn issues, I transplanted into 5 gallon containers. Some root damage occurred during transplant which stunted them for a good week or two. Most just newby mistakes that have been rectified now.

I can say, I've learned alot. My soil is crap if it doesnt have enough nutes for a few weeks. Luckily I found a place about an hour away that carries FF soil for the next grow. Im just trying to get out of this one with at least one viable plant, and a lot of acquired knowledge.

14. Looking good, joker! What you are seeing at the lower nodes are incipient branches. Individual leaves won't re-grow there, but the branches may develop when you flip to 12/12 or if you top the plants. I think lollipoping is when you trim all the side branches and let only the main cola grow. The theory behind it is that the main cola gets bigger and you end up with only one giant cola to trim instead of multiple smaller buds. Not positive on that, though.

Eventually you may need to stake these 'cause they're kinda tall, but it's not hard to do. sometimes you have to stake them no matter what you do.

15. Lookin good bro. Cant wait to see some buds

16. #36 Doc-J, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks guys. Hopefully Im over the hurdles and the flip isnt too far away. I counted wrong in my last post, they are 6 weeks and one day old today. Judging from the growth rate, I will be at my desired 1ft mark to flip them within the next seven to ten days.

I cant wait to see some buds either. I havent had a good sack in over a month because of no connections, and now I am having to stay clean until I hear back from a job. If I get enough off of these things Im gonna roll a damn foot long joint when this shit is over :D

17. Well I flipped the switch today, its on to sexing and hopefully budding from here.

18. #38 Doc-J, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    Figured I would post a few of my closet. Seems there are quite a few people here growing in close to the same size area. Now believe me, mine isnt professional by any means, but I tried to make it decent enough to get by this grow. I am either going with a tent or large cabinet for future endeavors. The filter and fans connections are clamped with 6" clamps, then taped over to make sure there aren't any air leaks. Anyone trying a similar grow, know that heat will be a bitch to deal with.

Attached Files:

19. My closet is similar to yours. Yeah the heat is the biggest pain for me so far, it get up to 90F sometimes, I keep my door cracked during the day when I can, lets it some of the cooler ambient air.

20. Yea, there was almost nothing I could do about the heat either until adding the big exhaust fan, and tying the intakes into my home a/c duct. The advantages I have are that I own the home, and the person before me left it in mid remodel anyway. There were literally no floors in parts of the house. Where my intakes are was a busted out piece of drywall anyway, so it really didnt hurt anything to add the intakes. Now the hole in the roof, I will have to patch that before I sell the place, but drywall work isnt too hard once you learn it.

I am going to use the same exhaust hole for my tent setup, but make a much cleaner more effective intake.