First-time grower here question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Gmcfan18, Sep 13, 2016.

1. This is my first go-around everything seems to be going pretty good I'm growing a blueberry kush my question was as far as pruning how long should I wait or is it even necessary my plant is about 22 days in some of the fan leaves seem fairly large any feedback would be helpful. I've included a photo for reference

Attached Files:

2. No need to pull leaves yet. Do you know if she is a female? An if she is are going to clone? The best time to pull the lower leaves to increase yield is about a week before you induce flowering you should also top her she is ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. The seed bank I got them from labeled them a feminized Autoflower. As far as topping I've been reading up on that sorry to sound like such a newbie but that would basically just entail trimming the very top middle down correct

Sent from my SM-N920G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. I read that also. But had mixed responses. Now as far as the leaves that are yellowiing towards the bottom should I go ahead and trim those off? Sorry for all the questions

Sent from my SM-N920G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. This particular strain is a very very very seemingly slow grower. I just culled out all I had of it over the last couple of months after trying the strain. It's the most finicky strain of plant I've ever grown in my life and took so long to get it large enough to veg that it just wasn't worth it in the end for me. I honestly don't know what to tell you as far as how to deal with this plant, but get ready for a long ride if yours does like all mine did. The node spacing was SO tight on the plant that it took me 6 months to veg one to a size large enough to flower. I constantly had issues with the plant and absolutely NOTHING I tried worked. I came to the conclusion that it must've just been too hot in our setup for this strain of plant. I got on the web and read up about it and indicas in general, and found that they are more suited for the cool northern climates and don't do their best with heavy heat. I started the ones I had in early spring and just started them in flower at about the peak of summer heat and we live in the SE US, so heat and humidity is the name of the game from about April until September around here. But I constantly had issues with this plant and never could figure out anything to make it better and I just got tired of messing with it considering it was taking up valuable space that I could be flowering plants that grow like crazy and produce tons of big fat buds. Now I will say that the buds I did finally harvest off these plants were some of the finest I've ever grown. The buzz was totally lackluster compared to the other strains we grow though, and even though it was better than most of the stuff you can get off the street around here, it fell short of my expectations. Since the node spacing is so tight, you can hang your light a little high to force some stretch in the plant to get it to spread out a little. Otherwise, it's just so full and tight down inside the plant that not much light can penetrate below the canopy. I would top it and then pull the light away from it for a few days, maybe 12 inches or so, and make it grow up a bit. Then top it real good and bring your light back down closer to it. I'm going to be honest here, that light you've got your plant growing under isn't going to help you any as far as promoting faster growth either. Everything about this plant, rate of growth and overall general health as well as quality and size of yield in the end, totally depend on the strength and quality of light it gets throughout it's life. You desperately need to have it under stronger light or you're going to be sitting there awhile getting much out of that plant. Lighting is THE most important piece of equipment you own as far as a grow setup goes and each individual plant needs adequate wattage and space to produce it's max. Many new growers get the idea that the more nutes they pour in, the better their plant is going to grow. That is just not true. Pouring a bunch of chemicals in your plant is just going to fry it. Nutes are simply plant food and if you want to use them to your advantage, you need to take the time to research the plant and it's nutritional needs during all phases of it's life. It needs more of some nutrients during flower than it does during veg and to use them in the best possible way, it's imperative that you understand the plant and what it needs along with when it needs to be given. Light is the element that produces a large plant and fat dense buds. Weak light just grows you a nice lanky and thin plant with under-developed buds and not many of them. So while your plant is in the veg cycle...and it can be vegged until you get ready to flower it so there's no major hurry, you need to be preparing for your flower cycle and amping up the lighting you plan to use as much as possible. If you're doing a soil grow and you use a good grade formulated grow soil, the soil will take care of the plant as far as feeding goes, for the majority of the time. Until a plant uses up the nutrients that are in the soil in the container it is growing in, it's not hungry and doesn't need anything. When the balance starts to get off is when the plant has been in the same soil for an extended period of time and depletes it of food. At this point you have two choices...repot the plant into fresh soil and a new container OR you can be responsible for the feeding of this plant for the rest of it's life. Your understanding of the plant and it's nutritional needs are a must if you go with the second option or you'll end up burning your plants. I repot my plants constantly during their entire lives. When they get root bound and I have to water every day or every other day, it's much easier to toss them into a container a bit larger and give them some fresh soil. This will resupply their food source and give them room to expand their roots and keeps me from having to water them constantly. I've repotted them with as little as a week to go in flower before and as long as you're working with a good hardy strain, a healthy plant and you prep everything so it's just a matter of loosening the root ball (always do it when plant has dried out and is ready to be watered) from the bottom and sides of the pot and popping it out of one container and into another. Done right, the plant will never show signs that it's been touched.

It takes a while to put this all together...or it does for most of us. There are just so many parts to the whole thing that it's impossible to make sense of it right off the bat unless you've had the chance to see it in action before or have someone knowledgeable to guide you through. So...use the forum as your source of information. The "beginner growers" thread is near the bottom of the "forums" page here. Go into that thread and start by reading through the "sticky's" posted at the top. They might not all apply directly to you and your type grow setup, but read the ones that do because these contain tried and true information on the things the new grower deals with and gives clear instruction on keeping your plant alive and healthy. You have to know and understand a few basics with growing these indoor and if you don't know them and practice them in the tending of your plant, you're going to have issues. You need a good understanding of things like watering..when and how and what with, grow media (soils, types, quality, type of mix you need or (God forbid you're planning to start with hydro...NOT A GOOD IDEA FOR A NEWBIE...the aspects of the hydro process. Really spend some time reading up on lighting...different options for veg and flower, best producers, LEDs, etc. There is a ton of reading out there just on lighting, so spend some time understanding the importance of it and get a better idea of what you actually need to flower the number of plants you wish to grow.

There is also a master search bar at the top of the forums page that will pull all threads related to a particular key word or topic you might need an explanation for. Pretty much everything you could think of has already been done before and is logged here multiple times. Most of the time, you can easily find an answer to most things on your own just by reading posts others have already made. When that doesn't work, you can always throw up a pic and ask the group. Just remember to make sure the advice you're getting is from someone who actually does know what they're doing. Most everybody wants to help, but sometimes their skill level might not be to a point where they can...but they'll be happy to tell you what to do anyway. LOL You just really need to proof your source before you run and do anything to your plant.

I hope your experience with this plant was better than mine. We grow mostly Sativa hybrid strains that I can take a clone and in 10 weeks have a small tree ready to go in for flower. The Blueberry just didn't work that way and it screwed up my process so I had to get it out. I hope it works out well for you though, just always do whatever you can to keep it happy...if you can figure out what that is. LOL TWW

6. You shouldn't top and auto or transplant it causes too much stress. You could LST her.
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1