First time grower. Closet grow - 1 plant. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Nevergrownbefore, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Hey what's up guys. I live in Colorado, I am over 21 years of age and with the legalization of marijuana through amendment 64, I decided that I would grow my first ever legal marijuana plant since I've been a pot head for a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My set up consists of [(6x23w 6500k cfl bulbs) + ( 6x23w 3500k cfl bulbs) + (1x19w 2700k led bulb)] = 295w and around ~20'000 lumens. Fox farm salamander soil and Fox farm grow big(veg)/bloom(flower)nutrients. Currently running 24/7 light cycle. I will be switching to (12x23w 2700k cfl bulbs) and 12/12 light cycle for flower. I've also got a giant box fan in the background.

I bought a clone from Tgs dispensary and its currently on its 2nd week of being at home. The only problems I've had so far are a couple of eagle claw leaves on the very bottom of the plant along with a little bit of brown/yellow necrotic leaves on the bottom; I cut off the necrotic leaves 10 days ago and no new ones have appeared. I suspect the eagle claws and possibly the necrotic leaves to be due to over-fertalization and since laying off the fertalizer I haven't noticed any new leaves clawing up. I've also been using neem oil to prevent any pests outbreak because I've read horror stories of clones from dispensaries carrying pests. I had early indication of pests at the beginning of the grow but it could have just been some nutrient burn because it hasn't gotten worse the last two weeks. I'll continue to use the neem oil until flower for precaution and am also thinking about buying mighty wash to use twice before flower as to ensure there is no issue throughout the flowering phase. The last thing I would want to deal with would be a pest problem.

Here is my set up:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Here is the plant:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. What's your temps bro?

• Like Like x 1
  3. My household thermostat is running at 73 degrees and the closet is the same temperature along with the breeze of the fan. Up close towards the lights I'd say the temp is probably high 70's but not too much hotter then that. Humidity in Colorado is very low.

4. Strain is Bubba lush x Captain Krypt Og, heavy indica.

5. Try mineral water when watering it like smart water it should bring it right back up don't worry bout those claw leaves the bottom of bubba plants usually wilt a lil just watch for white spots on leave tips

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cool, yeah I've been watching real closely to jump on any sign of pests because I've read too many times over about how clones from dispensaries having pests. I've used and am going to continue to use neem oil throughout veg and I will probably buy mighty wash to use just to stay safe. Have you had experience with clones from a store or have you had pests before?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nothing for nothing bud but you'll only get out of your plant what you put into it. I think you have a solid start but I wouldn't flower that plant under cfls. I'd buy a bigger light that's meant for growing and plan to continue growing when your done because you will want to. Go ahead and make preparations to have a vegatative site and a flowering site so you can continue. Once you harvest your plant and then realize you have to get clones and start all over again from the beginning you'll be depressed. Make plans to be able to start growing another clone where that one is now. Then buy an led (not as pricey as you think) and then start a flower "room" and you'll thank me.
    :) plus cfls are just underpowered all around.
    She looks good right now though pal

Perpetual closet grow

• Like Like x 1
  8. You've got an Indica strain there which means it's a very slow grower and will e short and bush like. The main thing is the watering of the plant. Use straight tap water (pH it if you want) because there are valuable micronutrients in tap water that the plants need that are in tap water and are not in filtered waters. The indicas don't like heavy heat so it's important that you keep your temps down around your plant. Do you have good strong air movement around your plants down on their level? Need that to disperse heat in the grow space...which I doubt is a problem with you using CFLs. Don't waste your time trying to flower that plant with CFLs. You'll not get anything out of it in the way of weight because the CFLs just aren't strong enough to flower with. To make a plant produce, you need enough wattage of light in the correct spectrum and CFLs just do not have it. You can pick up a HPS lamp/bulb/ballast fairly cheaply, but you definitely need better lighting when it comes to flower. But good luck with your plant. TWW

• Like Like x 3
  9. You guys really think that 295w actual watts for cfl wouldn't be enough to even flower one plant? I've got the ability to add another 100w for flower and might do so, for a total of 387w, 16x23w cfl in a 2x2 area. You don't think that would be enough to atleast get atleast like an Ounce? I'm not really too worried about having a huge yield. I live in Colorado and weed is everywhere and cheap. This is more of just a fun project rather then aiming objectively for a profitable yield.

10. I'll probably invest in better lighting in the future but at the moment money is tight and I couldn't afford a light fixture anywhere over $100 right now, so I am up just hoping to be able to complete one full plant cycle with cfl bulbs.

11. Thanks for taking your time to leave your responses guys, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oh you can definitely flower it. Problem being its going to look like your doing good and after it dried it's going to break your heart. You'll think you hit an ounce then after dry it's going to be like 8-10 grams. The lighting would definitely be worth the investment. The 100 you spend in lights you'll recoup in your first grow with the extra weight. But by all means your plant will grow under cfls it's just not going to do what we as cultivators want or expect in terms of productivity. But it will definitely give you buds.

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/perpetual-closet-grow.1434897/

• Like Like x 2
  13. I have definetly decided to get an hps during my next grow but that I am going to just finish off this grow with cfl's for what it's worth. I'll have (12 x 23w cfl) + (2 x 19w led grow lights) = 314w total. I have the ability to keep my lights as close to and surrounded around my plant in order to optimize light. All bulbs will be 2-4 inches away and could be brought even closer during flower. I'll keep this updated to show you guys how it turns out. I rearranged my set up allowing my plant to be surrounded better I'll show you the rearranged set up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Also I forgot to mention I do have pre-flowers even though I'm keeping my plant in a 24/0 light cycle, I assume this means she is mature but I want to veg her a little longer till she's a couple inches taller would that be alright?

15. image.jpg
    image.jpg Here are pics of what appear to be pre flower

• Like Like x 1
  16. And yes the longer you veg the more you'll get. Veg that baby for another 6 weeks :) or better yet........ CFL that baby in veg until you can afford an hps and then flower it. Might take you a couple months to afford it but the longer you veg it the more you'll get. If you gave that a 3-4 month veg time and then flowered it under a 600w hps or a good led then you'll probably end up with around 10-12 ounces from it. Vs 1 ounce under CFL. But either way you can continue to veg or flower whenever you want. Longer veg= more flowers.
    Hope this helps! Also great news your going to continue to grow after :) now we get to say welcome to the community because you'll be sticking around :)

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/perpetual-closet-grow.1434897/

• Like Like x 1