First time grower, big lighting dilemma.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 420canadiancannabis, Mar 18, 2018.

1. So as I stated in my title I will be a first time grower. I have a 2x3x5 ft tent...
    Now onto my lights- I have been searching around and doing my research and for me it comes down to two lights:
    A) 260W QB LED Kit 3000k ($450 Canadian)
    Or
    B) an Vivosun 600w HPS- This is an entry level light I know. ($240 Canadian)

I know I would need to pot down both and the heat that the HPS May pose a problem as well as the ballast (may interfere with wifi/radio)

The tent would be placed in a unfinished basement where it is about
    10-15 degrees Celsius in the Winter and about 15-20 during the Summer

Anyway, I have been racking my brain back and fourth and wanted to get others opinion. Remembering this is my first grow and still need to spend $ on the other hundred/million of other supplies lol
    Let me know, your help is much appreciated!

2. a 600w is not an entry level light. Lots of power. the ballast should not pose a problem unless its magnetic as far as i know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks!

4. your welcome bud, I'm currently running 4 600w lights. Although those LED quantum boards are catching on big time. To my knowledge they cant compete with a lot of HPS bulbs. But the heat will be less and more power efficient. But if you want to match the ammnt of lumens hps put out per sqm a quantum board can't match it. This is just from what I've researched(they are also a lot more expensive) I'm by no means an expert on the LED scene. but I have no problem getting over half a gram per w of HPS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 2F38BFE3-342F-4A4A-B93E-B9293F40637C.jpeg I run 5 x 660 watt dimmable ballasts in 3m x 1.5m tent no heat issues

6. How’s the electric bill each month? I checked a couple of hydroponic stores in my area and the guys who work there had the same reaction to my LED question lol one guy said that the temperature difference is totally manageable if I have a fan/filter set up. I decided to go with the HPS on my way home but then I get home and start to read forums and then start to lean towards LED as I read you have to buy new bulbs every grow and wipe down the hood occasionally. Not that I don’t mind upkeep but it seemed LED’s seemed more user friendly and as being a beginner I would like to focus on plant and less on other things but perhaps I’m overthinking stuff. Lol
    Your set up look awesome! Btw

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1D1D8184-FD76-4A2B-BFA7-8684A7DE4EE0.jpeg The bill isn’t massive but it goes up I bought leds at first I still have them I have 5x 1000 watt but the actual draw is 110watt I use two of them 24/0 in my veg room they are crap

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lol I guess the problem I have- trying to decide- is a good problem to have. I know the light/tent I start with is not the one I will have on my fifth grow but I am trying to think ahead. I bought the smaller tent because it will force me to grow less plants at the same time and later when I upgrade to a bigger tent it will be a perfect size for a veg tent or for seedlings/clones. That’s why I was thinking the HPS would be better because if I upgrade to a 4x4 tent later, a 600w would be better than a 200w LED. Hmmmm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Update: I purchased a digital thermometer and recorded the temps throughout the week. It was at around 75 without it being in a tent, a plant and a HPS. I decided the HPS would be too much heat in a 3x4 so I’m going LED. I purchased a 320w Quantum Board and hear that it only raises heat about five or so degrees. That would be fine for the tent and me. Thanks guys for your feedback and I’ll keep you updated when it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  10. How it going with that led board I have to get one soon and still deciding.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. FWIW, I'm running the HLG 620 @ 40%, had to close one vent because it was too cold, I've not had it at the full 620 yet, I don't see heat being a problem.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2