first time grower...asking for advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dee&jr, Jan 20, 2018.

1. i have two seeslings sprouted on jan 8 have had them under a sylvannia spot gro light 60w and have just been feeding them tap water no fertilizers they are getting bigger and im affraid they arent getting the full amout of light and nutrients they need any growing tips what water to use? fertlizer if any? any advice will be appreciated thanks in advance.! (pics in thread) 20180111_105216.jpg 20180120_013354.jpg 20180111_105216.jpg 20180120_013354.jpg 20180111_105216.jpg 20180120_013354.jpg

2. your soil looked waterlogged ,and your light is not strong enough thats why its growing lanky ,,move to light closer ,but really your going to need a much bigger light when it flowers ,,,,get a few CFLs ,,,,mac,,

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. 6 inches before the first node, that's not good at all! Really you need to stop watering them until they completely dry out! Then, next time you water them give them only 1 tablespoon of water at the base of their stem every 3rd day, and no more than that. And like mactheman said, get that light closer to them. Also get some support on them as they will definitely need support until their stems can hold up the fan leaves they will develop on their own.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mac u are spot on. All stretched out looking for the sun or maybe another light source

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thank you guys i appreciate it i will be buying bigger brighter lights and slowing down on the watering,

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 RedHairSens, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Everything macman told u is spot on perfect.One other thing i see you can do is fill those pots all the way to the top with more soil/medium and that will cover up another inch or 2 of those seedlings and prevent them from falling over/ stiffen up the stem and give them a stronger root mass.Also pretty sure those pots ur using has like one tiny drain hole in them, cut 4-6 drain holes in the bottom of the pots, its obvious looking at the soil u got poor drainage that can create a whole new set of problem

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2

7. thank you and will do! is there a soil that you would recammend?

8. Mix fox FFOF and happy frog or alot of guys like nectar. Throw in 20% perlite

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. What papa puff said is a great mix.If u cant get FFOF or one of the popular mixes that alot of growers have access to.Then Go to home depot or lowes and get a bag of any organic potting mix (outdoor), a bag of coco coir, and bag of perlite.$18 to $25 bucks for it all and will last several grows.Suggest a 3 or 5 gal container min. Mix 60 % potting soil, 20% coco coir and 20% perlite.If you have any small gravel like used in a fish aquarium put u a inch deep in pot to start then fill up with the 60,20,20 mix above.I also take nursery pots or five gal buckets and make my own air pots by drilling a series of holes in it for more oxygen intake for the roots.Hope this helps good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. i appreciate you guys all for taking the time to help me out i learn something new every day sinice i started the grow and im intrested in learning how to help my seedlings progress and flourish with my daily research and informative advice im holding faith to strong beautiful harvesy

• Like Like x 2
  11. I swear by Mykos also

• Like Like x 2
  12. I just made a mix of equal parts peat and fox farm with about 30percent perlite and it's been working great. I ran out of soil so I worked with what I had on hand. As long as it drains well and your water is Ph'd you will be fine.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. #13 dee&jr, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    update on my babies!. im thinking its possibly time for a new home?

Attached Files:

14. Have the roots filled out the pot? Plant overall looks 10x better than the first set of pictures! Great job!

15. thanks trizzy for the reply i do not see them poking out but i can see them trying to peak if that makes sense..., also my stems if you notice have turned a little purple/brownish color do you have an idea what might be the cause?

16. What kind of soil are you using and how many times do you think you have watered?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. i had alien soil,..but we water them every 2 days or when the soil looks dry enough. but i dont have anymore of the same soil, so i just went and bought two 5 gall pots and a bag of indoor potting mix of miricale gro to get them by untill i can get some FFOF any advice using this soil? i know its not the best choice but being off season its the only one can can get my hands on untill i get enough loot

18. I would not recommend using miracle grow soil no matter what. FFOF is definitely a better choice and it what I use. If there's any way you could wait it out, I would. What size pot is it in right now?

19. i know its not the best in choice, what other soil would you recommend, and im thinking i have them in about a 3-4 inch starter pot

20. I have only experienced with fox farm soil but I've just heard really bad things about miracle grow soil.