First time grower and my first post!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rhapsodyrcks, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hey people great site! I am new to growing and a poor college kid now (just got out of the Marine Corps) so trying to do this the most economical way I can.

I bought some strains online received them allowed them to germinate. Bought 3 White Widow seeds and they threw in 1 Dinafem Blue Hash. They all germinated yay. Planted them in jiffy cups after they sprouted and got about 2 inches high I planted them in bigger pots.

At first I was using a cheap incadesant agro light and they were growing wierd bending and stuff. This weekend I got 4 23w CFLs 6500k Daylight bulbs. I bought those clip on lamps as well. I have 1 CFL over each plant now about 2-3 inchs away. Then I have a small fan blowing on them.

I am very limited on space as I live in a one bedroom so I lined a 40 gallon storage container with mylar and have the set up in my closet.

My questions are how long should I have the lights on. I read 18-20 hours then 4 hours of darkness? Can I keep them on 24/7? If not how come.

Should I put a top over the container or is it fine?

Since they were stretching for the light since I had a shitty light source I covered up the stem with some more dirt..is that good? Will they straighten up rather then curve?

I will upload pics soon, right now there on there 2nd set of leaves and 3rd coming in.

My only concern was the bending of the stalks rather then st8 up. I think they will straighten up now that I have the light situation fixed?

Another question is I'm using the finger deep method on the watering. Thing is what about the soil down below. My plants cant have big roots yet and I dont want that to be water logged. Should I let it go a few days and do the lift method on it bring dry? When the pot is dry should I saturate it like I would my plants outside?

Thanks people, and great site sooo much information. I will upload pics soon!

2. First: Welcome to GC, and thank you for your service (I did 12 years as a Fight'n CB).

It will be difficult to grow in a small container. Sure you can do it like a science project, but it will never be able to support even a modest smoking habit. The grow room/container must be light proof and ventilated, so at some point the lid will have to go on and stay on.

My advice is to buy your weed until you can build a proper little grow space to do your hobby right. PC grows and micro grows are fine to fill your curiosity about growing marijuana, but will do little to fill your pipe. They are just as illegal and will get you as much time as a correct size personal grow space.

Not all is wasted. That container can hold moms and clones indefinitely. They make great staging areas for vegging small plants and keeping mothers. Very little light and only slight ventilation is required.

A broom closet or any closet works great for growing indoors. I have friends who rent that grow in the bedroom closet. Some thought and a little imagination can get you into a pot growing machine. Folks see my yield and think I have a grow room, but when seen in person it is very un-impressive half a broom closet.

It's up to you, but this hobby is about time. The more time you spend fooling around, the longer it will take to get it done right.

Best if luck, R.

3. never heard of a poor marine..

welcome to GC, from what i've read you've done a little homework.

you can leave your lights on 24/7 with no problem, though I will say your going to need alot more lights. 100w for the first plant, 50 for each additional.

:smoke:

4. I'm out of the marine corp recently and a culinary student hence poor. Lol. I will def get more lights... 4 23watt cfls are not enough?