First Time Grower and Grow Closet set-up... ANY Feedback/Suggestions Appreciated!!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DrGreenMA, Feb 26, 2009.

1. #1 DrGreenMA, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    So I converted my basement shower stall into a grow closet. After doing a good amount of design and grow research, this is what I put together with minimal resources.

The pictures I've included are what my 4 plants look like after about 8 weeks. For the most part the plants seem to be growing along fine. They are about 14-15 inches from soil level.

Lights. I had some lack of light issues in the beginning so the plants are probably behind the grow curve for their vegetation duration. I know have 3, 100-watt CFL's, a 75-watt Flourescent, and a 100-watt Incandescent on them. There's a lot of fresh growth and they have definitely sprouted since the added light.

Soil. Now I know I'm going to get some crap for this, as I'm using Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix. Unfortunately my soil options were limited so I went with what I could find. Additionally, I'm using the soil as-is (Obviously in hind-sight I would have chosen a better soil and mixer addititves, but I didn't know.) Anyway, they're still going.

Transplant. A few days ago I re-transplanted them for a second time and it appears the plants' leaves are drooping because of this. I hit them with a good amount of water at the same time, so they might be reacting to a spell of over watering as well. They do seem to be coming back though and otherwise the plants do seem very healthy.

Here's the kicker. To this point, I have NOT been able to check the PH level of the soil or the water as i have no testing stuff. I set a bucket of tap water out a day before watering and I've been adding some 10-15-10 nutrients to every other watering. So far, (and knock on wood) the plants show no sign of burning or distress. I do get some yellowing on the bottom leaves, but that appears to be common.

Recent plant issues. I did notice over the last few days, one of the plants (picture #4 attached) IS showing nute burn of some sort. I'm not overly concerned as I believe the plant is just reacting to the addition of nutrient rich soil and water overload from the translant. Thoughts?

FINAL summation. I was planning on going to the flowering stage in the next few days once I see the plants fully back to normal. After seeing the pics and what I've explained, I'd truly appreciate ANY feedback or suggestions anyone has heading into the back stretch!!!

THANKS,
    Dr G

Attached Files:

2. #2 dopereppin, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    Your setup isn't looking too shabby. Here's a list of suggestions for you:

1. Switch out all non-CFL bulbs when possible a 4-pack of 23w CFL's runs around $8.

2. You already transplanted twice but i'd say transplant to a new pot with a new soil medium. You can search online to see if FFOF is sold in your area or create your own mix which is fairly easy.

3. If you can't swap your soil for other reasons, flush out the nutes in the MG with warm water.

4. As for PH levels i'd use distilled water for now since you have some restrictions.

5. I'd wait a little longer than a few days before starting the flowering process, work on lighting first.

6. Your soil looks very very very dry.

7. More lights can never hurt!

Just my personal suggestions, best of luck!

3. your lighting isnt as important as the fact that your plants are wilting probably because of lack of water

4. Thanks for the feedback.

I actually thought they might recovering from overwatering. Like I said, the soil is staight MG Organic and it dries up quick on the surface... about an inch down, it's fairly moist. I transplanted a few days ago and gave them a double dose of water, so I figured that might have been the problem.

Thoughts??