First time grower: advice on ballast

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by abk1016, Apr 13, 2012.

1. That one seems pretty good. Only for up to about 3-4 plants though

And I'm sure it has instructions

2. You will yeild more high quality bud off of two plants as you would 4 or 5 under that light. The less light that a plant has to compete for can give you much better results per plant. More plants doesnt neccissarly mean more bud. Remember that.

3. Ummm...he's asking about ballasts and lights, didn't ask anything about number of plants or yield...

There is nothing you need to "set up" for a ballast, when it comes with a kit you just plug it in. The ballast has a cord that plugs into the electric outlet and another that goes to the lamp. You want to keep the ballast outside of your grow space because it can add heat.

You don't want the bulb that comes with the kit you found. That is a metal halide bulb, which is great for vegging but not good for flowering. If you get a kit that has only one bulb make it a HPS, which is great for flowering and acceptable for vegging. Even better is one of each type of bulb for each phase of the plant's life cycle and a ballast that can run either.

That's a typical price for an entry-level 250w or 400w HID kit. Keep in mind that a 400w will cover 4-6 sq ft well.

Other considerations: the kit you are looking at has a magnetic ballast, which is old technology. Not as efficient, runs hotter, and makes a buzz/hum sound, compared to a digital ballast.

You also may want to consider an air-cooled hood, which can make a huge difference in trying to maintain proper temps. Getting a kit with an air-cooled hood, digital ballast, and two bulbs will run you more like $275+ but it's worth it.

4. I was refering to the previous advice about 4-5 plants under a 400w light. But I really appreciate the correction lol