FIRST TIME GROW - White Widow!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by AphexOriginal, Dec 13, 2012.

1. looking good mate. i can see a little algae growth on the perlite, be careful you dont over water them. aiming for a good wet/dry cycle will help give the roots much needed oxygen. without these dry cycles growth will slow down. they do look nice n healthy though. what light do you have them under now? is it the cfl still or the new mh?

2. Thanks man, I think the algae is mostly me just spraying the top soil, but im going to dry them out more often so those roots and stretch!

I still have them under the cfl, I need a different fixture to use the mh ones so ill through those in later..

The only thing that's bothering me is that a few leaves the sides are curled up and the leaves look all crinkled :mad:
    I don't know if its because of water situations or because of the light and heat or what.

Ill be sure to check your grow out though for sure!

3. if youre just spraying the soil with a sprayer, thats your issue. thats only used when germinating, sprouting and foliar feeding (if you must)

4. #64 AphexOriginal, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
    What's that causing? The leaves to wrinkle up? Or the algae problem?
    Im watering through every 2 days or so...
    The only thing i use the sprayer with is to actually spray the plant, and the stem a bit.

5. Do you spray the plants with the light on or off?

6. the lights on when i spray them.

7. probably just that. dont spray them. its too humid in your grow room. theres a difference between good and bad fungus/bacteria. that algea is a invasive fungus and isnt good

8. Alright ill just stop spraying them haha.
    What would be the cause with the leaves to be all cock eyed and everything?

9. droopy? over watering, them bending cock eyed is just them leaning towards the light. what company white widow did you get again?

10. Yea its just the edges of some of the bottom fan leaves are curled up.
    And I'm not exactly sure haha kinda forgot, ill try and look them up though for you

11. hard to guess without a photo, if it worse on the bottom leaves its unlikely heat stress, possibly the roots suffocating a little, maybe too humid. sounds like its metabolism is a bit low

12. Ya don't do it with the lights on! If you think you need to mist take them out of the light and do it right before the light goes off. If you do it with the light on they will burn and curl up. But don't mist at all. Its not needed with you're setup. Google what happens to mj if you mist with lights on.

13. I never mist mine, never have, why do you do it?

14. Probably due to misconceptions on watering.

15. I don't mist, but it helps with bugs, humidty, younger plants to take up more while roots develope, and if your experiencing any kind of lock out. Unless you're having any of these issues I'm not sure why you'd run the risk of misting. It is all about light location when it comes to burning and cfls are more common to burn then hids. You also need air flow or you can get some mildew or mold. That said I've never misted and never would. Some people do and I'm sure it works for them, but why risk burnin em? And if you must mist do it out of the light and in a different place then move em back later.

16. Wow I feel Hella stupid for doing that.....
    Ill provide a picture later on today of the bent fan leaves and ill stop misting them!

17. Don't sweat it to much. Some people DO it and it turns out fine. Id just stick to just watering regularly and see if the problem fixes itself.

18. Alright so I just watered them all the way through, my bigger 2 were super dry!
    The other 2 wernt as dry tthough. But that's normal, bigger plants, more water!
    Ill be posting pics sometime soon, need some time! Haha

19. UPDATE #3!​

Alright, so about 16 days into the grow...

So the 1st picture is one of the fan leaves that is all sorts of fucked, but i figure im going to be trimming that later on so it doesnt matter, the same with the brown spot... I believe thats due to the magnification from the water drops on the leaves and whatnot. (Pictures were taken 2 days ago)

Anyway.

THESE FUCKERS ARE GETTING HUGE! :yay:

I'm going to transplant them into 5 gallon bags withen the next couple days with pure Fox Farm Happy Frog. I'm also going to be picking up a new Metal Halide light, with a ballist....

As for the wattage of the MH, thats one of my questions... Should I pick up a 175w? or What kind of wattage would be necessary for just 4 plants? and also is there a specific type of ballist i should pick up? And what is the right hight that the light should be from the canopy?

Im also going to be picking up so General Hydro neuts, Simple, and cheap!
    1 tsp of the neuts per gallon of water just like everyother brand...

But now that they're going to be in bags, will it just be like my OFFICIAL Red Solo Cups (With holes in them) where the water will just drain out of the bottom? Thats the universal sign to stop watering is when it starts dripping, so I was just curious about that.

Also, Im not sure on how much water theyre going to need, so if someone could give me a rough estimate like 1 gallon of water per feed or how ever much it might need would also be HELPFULLLLLL!:D

Attached Files:

20. the size of the lamp would depend on the size on the plants and how much your ventilation system can handle. if you were to grow your plants until they fill your area then a 600w or 400w would do really well. if you want to keep the wattage low but still planning to fill your area perhaps 2x 150w lamps would work well. or if your not planning to grow your plants quite that big you could cover an area of 2'x2' with a 250w lamp

am I correct in saying your grow area is still 2.5' x 4' ?