First Time Grow. White Widow Journal.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by SarlCagan*Stuff, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Hi All.

Long time lurker here. I've been wanting to grow for years now, but I never had an opportunity to set something up that could produce some quality herb. I bought a house late last year, and there is a perfect room in the basement for a nice setup. I figured I'd make a little journal.
    I've spent the past few months gathering supplies for this project. It's no monstrous setup, but it was still a good $600 worth of startup costs by the time all was said and done. I received 20 feminized White Widow seeds and attempted to germinate three of them. One of them opened up in less than 36 hours, but the other two went four days without showing any signs of life.

As far as the setup goes, this is what I'm working in. I have a washroom in my basement with full plumping, slop sink, and an exhaust fan already built into the house (not sure if I'll be using that). The tent is 48"X24"X60". I was hoping to grow two plants, but the other seeds I tried to germinate don't seem to want to. Also, I'm not really proud of the fact that I am using things like milk crates and cardboard boxes to adjust my plant height, but I've already dumped so much money into this setup up, I couldn't justify spending more on stuff that would take the place of things I already have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the right side of the tent. I couldn't find much info about these bulbs, but they sounded like they fit the bill/ I think they should work just fine for strengthening sprouts before transplanting them into larger pots. Also pictured here is my 4" intake fan and the 4ft, 5600k fluorescent lights (x4) with hood.
    [​IMG]

This is the left side of the tent. Pictured here is my 6" exhaust fan and cooling fan (don't need that yet).

[​IMG]

June 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

June 20. 2015
    [​IMG]

June 23. 2015

So I got 6 of these guys in the mail today. They are 6500K. I am only using two so far. I'll use the other one as the plant grows
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

June 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

I feel like it is not growing as quickly as it should. I've seen several journal where plants are significantly larger in size at the one week mark.I switched up the lights a bit.
    [​IMG]

June 29, 2015

I feel like the plant is still stretching despite it practically being on the lights. I think the plant might actually be too close to them. It actually sits closer than pictured below. I moved it for the pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts on how she's doing?

2. Going to be watching this one. Do you plan to use the cfl for the whole grow or do you plan to switch to hps to flower?

3. #3 SarlCagan*Stuff, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to use mostly CFL. I might get two more of those LED bulbs, pictured above, and use them in conjunction with a handful of 2700Ks once the flowering stage rolls around.

4. How does my proximity to the lights look?

5. I may have just answered my own question. Not looking too good today.

[​IMG]

6. #6 GSTM, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
    i don't see anything about what kind of soil or medium you are using.....that's such an important part of having healthy plants....looks like you may be over-watering them too....those little sprouts can go a long time without water...they barely use any.....you should fill up a cup with your dry medium and get a feel for how heavy the cup is while its dry.....then compare that to how heavy the cup with the plant is.....don't water again until that cup feels pretty light.
    They also don't need much light....looks like you may have bleached/dried them out.....you can get CFL's pretty close but I'd.back off on that light set-up until you have a few fan leaves started. In fact I'd get that plant under that fluorescent bar fixture, about 5"-6" from it.....and put the 3 CFLs aside until they get bigger.
    Good luck to you man.....its always nice to see new people give growing a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 GSTM, Jul 1, 2015
    oh, and one more thing, you don't need that intake fan....unplug it and save some electricity. As long as you have a good exhaust fan running, (put the exhaust fan on the very top of your tent, like a chimney, sucking the air out) ...just run that and use a passive intake....passive as in just open a vent or 2 n the bottom of your tent....the exhaust fan will suck fresh air in through the vents....so there is no need to push the air into your tent with a fan.
    Peace dude!

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 SarlCagan*Stuff, Jul 1, 2015
    Thanks for the input. That was really helpful. Good tip about the dry control pot. I've never actually 'watered' this plant. I've only misted the soil with a squirt bottle. I get my finger about an inch and a half down and the soil is dry usually once a day.

As for removing the intake fan, it seems to be working really well as a cooling fan. It's pointing directly at my seedling and blows through all three cfl bulbs.

Here is the soil I am using for the seedling. When I transplant it into the 3 gallon pot, that medium will be a vermiculite / perlite mixture.
    [​IMG]

I moved the lights off of the plant as well. They are about five inches away now. These lights are freaking blinding. When I leave, I see ghosts for a good two or three minutes. Here's a little more information on the cfls;
    - 2800 Lumens
    - 40 Watt (150w equivalent)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. is there anything I can do to get their color back on track, or should I just let nature do its thing?

10. I might be being overly positive here, but the seedling looks like it is improving. The first level of leaves are still a little bleached, but the ones above them look like they've gotten some green back (the tips were yellowing pretty good). They've also flattened out a bit rather than continued curling upwards. The pic on the right was taken this morning.

[​IMG]

11. subbed. Cant wait to watch another grow!

12. 7/2/2015

This is what she looks like as of ten minutes ago.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 GSTM, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
    that already looks better to me......don't worry about those yellow !eaves as long as the new ones are coming in green, you'll be good to go. As far not not once really watering the plant.....I would.....water it really good then don't touch it with any water or mist for a least a week and check the soil then.....just my 2 cents.....

14. New growth looks good. How long do you plan to veg before flowering?

15. Subbed

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

16. All your pictures are broken links.

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 DLeeHarley, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    Ditto to BWD82 Is there a reason I can't open your pics?

Dennis in Idaho

"You'll always remember the Ride! The destination is great, don't get me wrong, but you'll ALWAYS Remember the Ride!"

18. I have no pics. I'm referring to the OP of this thread that his pics are broken so nobody can see them on Tapatalk forum app, grasscity forum app, mobile browser forum and desktop mobile browser forum.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Are my pictures not showing up for you guys? I can still see them fine on both mobile and desktop.

Anyway, it's been about 12 days since I've posted anything. The plant was looking pretty lousy so I went for broke. I trimmed the bottom two leaves that looked like crap and decided to transplant it. I think the plant may have been root bound. I know cannabis has a lot of roots, but damn. I got it in a three gallon pot now and it seems to be doing alright. I'm on 1/8 strength nutrients for now. I know a lot of people recommend starting with 1/4 strength, but I didn't know if removing those two leaves and changing pots in the same day stressed it out. She's still super small compared to other grows I've seen at this stage of the game, but we'll see what happens. There is no more yellowing and new leaves are showing up every day. I'm hoping she starts growing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking this plant was a lost cause, I decided to germinate two more seeds. Both sprouted some nice tap roots. One that I didn't take a picture of yet has just barely broken the surface, but it's climbing. The one in the image below concerns me. The stem is growing like crazy, but the seed's shell doesn't seem to want to open the rest of the way :/

[​IMG]

20. #20 Frankenclyde, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
    The only pics i can see are the ones in your last post the rest are showing up as broken imageshack links
    The setup looks nice man.