First time grow, transplant question.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by turbulentjuice, May 14, 2017.

1. Hi all,

My seedlings are coming up on 2 weeks old, looking healthy, almost ready for their first transplant. I've done a fair amount of research, and most people recommend sizing up containers in increments. The consensus seems to be to avoid planting directly in the final container, because soil below the plant may become waterlogged, making it harder for the roots to get oxygen, therefore slowing growth.

My final containers will be 7-10 gallon smart pots, which (from what I've read) dry out fairly quickly and need to be watered often, leading me to think that overwatering will be less of a problem. I also have 1 gallon plastic planters on hand.

Since smart pots tend to dry out easily, should I just transplant my seedlings directly to these, and skip the 1 gallon containers? The benefit would be that I wouldn't have to do any transplants later, the negative being that I may get slower growth if the soil becomes too wet/waterlogged. These containers will be placed outdoors once transplanted.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks :love-mj2:

2. Just go to final pot and dont water the whole pot till the plant gets bigger. I went from half a solo cup to 5 gal 1494901933166.jpg 1494901970284.jpg 1494901987159.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1