First Time Grow Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Lycanthropy, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Hey everyone. So it goes like this. I've been interested in growing for a number of years now, and finally I decided to jump into it. I had previous knowledge on germination, so I began the process there as I read every piece of literature on the internet on how to grow properly. Luckily, money isn't a gigantic problem, so I could spend a bit on this "project."

Here's the rundown of my vegging closet growroom:

Light: 250w Metal Hallide
    No. of plants: 6
    Ventilation: Two fans set to vent air efficiently.
    Setup: All plants are in a potting mixture specifically designed to evenly distribute water to the roots. All six plants are in 3 gallon containers. I've put up some mylar over the walls as well.

The plants themselves were all planted within a three week timespan, although, at this point they are all just as bushy as one another. The first one is the oldest, followed by the second one, which was planted one week after the first. The other four were planted two weeks after the first plant.

At this time, the first plant is 11 weeks into vegging. The math isn't too hard to do, I hope. =P

Here's where I need the City's help! I am thinking about starting to flower them within a week or so. I have a few questions on methods that I've heard and whatnot.

1. Considering that the plants are from bagseed, a 50/50 male/female ratio would be about the best that I could expect, is it not? In that case, would a 250w HPS fixture be sufficient lighting for three plants?

2. How much of a stretch can I expect to get during flowering if the plants are all about 12"-14" in height already? My objective was to keep the plants at a low profile and yet nice and bushy. So far, so good, it looks like!

3. Does anyone have any recommendations for nutrient solutions for flowering? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry for making the post so long, heh. Anyways, if anyone made it down to this, thanks for reading it! If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

~Lycanthropy

2. Sounds like you know what you're doing.

I hope you meant 11 days into vegging. At 11 weeks, the plants would be huge.

I too expect a 50/50 male/female. Its the best guess. If there turn out to be more females, then great! If not, you are not so disappointed. Yeah, 250W should be alright. I am using a 400W MH at the moment for vegging 6 plants. I plan on using it to veg and flower (with 400W HPS) 5 turning out to be females.

If they are 12" to 14" already, start flowering them. They are going to grow a lot during flowering. They might even triple in height. If you start flowering at 12", you are probably looking at a 24" to 28" final height.

Good luck!

3. No, I do mean that my first plant is 11 weeks into veg, the second is at 10 weeks, and the other four are 9 weeks into veg. They are all equal in size, though.. It's weird. I know that there are two strains in there, the first plant being one of them. It seems to be a much smaller strain to begin with, seeing as there are a large number of smaller-sized leaves. The other strain seems to have more of a sativa look to it; longer leaves being my first clue. Anyways, I'm rambling.

They were all topped at the fourth node, though I don't know when they were. I could find out if need be, but they seem to be doing very well.

I have them all on a Miracle-Gro nutrient solution with an NPK ratio of 12-8-4, once a week.

~Lycanthropy

Edit: Sp.

4. hmm at 11 weeks, what size pots are you in to be at 12-14 in? i would suspect they should be much taller than that unless you got some typo indica hybrid. could you get any pictures? anyways to answer your question. yes you could successfully flower those plants with the light youre using. you could expect though the flower stretch to double your plants in size.

5. I'm working on borrowing a friend's digi for a couple days, but he's being a prick. He'll probably cave in within a few days, hopefully.

~Lycanthropy

6. The light is fine for how many you have.
    Did you plant the seeds in 3gal. pots?because 11 weeks is a bit to long,and he who said 11 days,thats to soon.
    Start your flowering now!!!

7. No, I germinated the seeds via the paper towel method, then started them all in party cups, gradually moving up to a 1/2 gal. container, and then into the three gallon.

I will most likely be putting them into flower this weekend, if I have the 250w HPS by then. I'm using the 250w MH solely for veg.

Also, a note on the plants. Only one of the plants, #1, is 11 weeks of age, and it seems to be a smaller strain than the others anyway. Plant #2 is 10 weeks old, and then plants #3-6 are 9 weeks. Difference in age or not, they all have seemed to grow to the same size at this point, with the exception of one that seems to be the runt of the litter.

~Lycanthropy