First time grow - Northern Lights Autos - How am I doing?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by McStrats, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Hi everyone...newbie here!

I planted 6 Northern Lights Auto seeds in mid February. It is now April 4. My grow closet is 6' x 2' x 6' and I have a pair of Platinum P300 LED's, plus a 4" centrifugal fan, ducting, and a passive air intake. I used Fox Farms Ocean Forest and their trio of nutes. Everything is going well except for the fact that things have gotten very crowded in the 10 days or so. Two of my plants are 48" the others are getting big also. Buds are starting to grow and the leaves seem healthy. Just wondering ifI should ditch a plant or two to make room? do some pruning? or leave well enough alone?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. How far are you into flower? Usually by week 5 they stop stretching. Since they're autos you shouldn't prune them, any stress tends to stunt autos and lessen your harvest. I'd just see what happened and learn for next time. You can try so LST to get the bud sites more light.

3. I'm about 2 weeks into flower and they are still growing.

4. That's right in the beginning of stretch. They usually double or triple in size during the flower stretch. With indicas I veg to 1/2 total height that I want. With Sativas I veg to 1/3 total height. How much vertical space are you working with?

5. The closet has a 9' ceiling.

6. You should be fine then.

7. They look excellent, especially for a first grow.

8. Thanks! Next time I'll probably go with 3 or 4 plants in that space. Its very crowded with 6 of them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I had the same problem on my first grow with photo period northern lights. Had trouble squeezing 5 plants into a 4x4 square but i still pulled out about 13 ounces from them despite an equipment malfunction that forced me to harvest a week or two early.

10. What is LST?

11. Low Stress Training is where you use plant ties or something similar to train your branches to be in the position that you would like. Usually used to get more light to potential bud sites.

You can use it during veg or flower but you need to be careful not to bend the branches too much or they'll snap especially in flower.

I'd show you a pic but image upload isn't working right now. You can google it and see. The spiral LST is hard and not useful once the plants are as big as yours but basic LST will work at any stage.

12. I'm having some of the same issues. But yours are on a Higher scale. My tent is only 36x20x62 it's in my closet that is 5x2x8 I'm gonna need a spot to grow my seedling. I have Cfl's because that's what I start it with. My 2 autos are real bushy. I should've Lst so they get more light! There under a Marshydro 600 278 draw. I just don't want to fall behind I need to start seedlings because I only have about a month and a half left maybe more. The one on the left sprouted 1/31 and the right girl spouted 2/5. I know there autos but they can take up a lot of room. Here's mine.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Are these Northern Lights also? They look good!

14. Yes there a Hybrid Northern lights and Afghan Sunk. Aurora is the strain. Thanks @McStrats Nice Ladies how old are they?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Thanks. I planted them around mid February.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mid February okayGood Luck with your Grow

17. #17 Robbie714, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Yours are way bigger! Northern lights autos are Nice. How much were ur lights if you don't mind me asking? I like your set up! I have the closet place, cause it's 46 inches but there's another 2 feet inside. I don't think I could fit a 24 inch tent in there cause it's about 24 1/2. When it's put together it's usually bigger then 24 inches deep. Good Luck

18. The lights were about $400-ea on Amazon with tax and shipping. Instead of getting a tent I decided to line the closet with mylar and run a 4" duct up into the attic where I have a 4" Centrifugal fan. I cut a hole in the door for a passive air vent. I also bought a carbon filter but haven't hooked it up yet as NL is very low odor.

19. Seven weeks since seed and my girls are still stretching. Two of them are 56" and the rest aren't far behind. Things are very crowded but lots of buds seem to be growing. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. There autos? There tall some of the tallest I've seen so far. Mine are 20 inches and 18" I like your ventilation hook up. My plants Stink if I turn cf off for 2 minutes it will start to smell. Look good!
    Good Luck

• Like Like x 1