First Time Grow - Need Help! (Not sure what to research)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gmedina277, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Hi Guys,

Forgive my ignorance, there are probably threads out there that go over what's happening to my plant...but I'm not sure where to start and what to believe. From what it appears, I would think that there is a nitrogen deficiency or some type of boron deficiency happening here. I've attached a picture that will hopefully help someone tell me whats really going on with my plant. The background info:

Indoor Grow - White Widow AutoFlower Fem
    Using 3 140w CFL for Red Spectrum
    Using 2 120w CFL for Blue Spectrum
    I have the lights 12 inches away
    I've had a fan blowing on it since potted
    Miracle Grow Soil - Helps Protect against Over/Under Watering
    Cabinet Temperature around 60F to 65F
    Picture taken yesterday, plant is only a month old.
    I usually water it once every 5 to 7 days (Used to water once every 3 days until I saw the first 2 leaves start drooping...so i lengthened time in between)
    Watered 2 days ago with Miracle Grow Nutes at half doseage amount.

Any more information that is needed? I tried to cover everything i've seen in other threads on here / other sites.

Few questions I would like answered:
    What is happening with the first set of leaves? Why is one yellowing? Why are the first set of leaves drooping?
    What is happening with the new growth? Why is it yellowing on the inside?

More importantly, how would I fix the above...or prevent from happening in a future grow?

Below should give you an idea on what my setup looks like. This picture was taken 1 week ago.

Copy of 20170122_103117.jpg

2. Soil too hot and pH is off. Temp is also low but that's not the reason those poor leaves are like that.

3. Thanks for the response yazdan. If the soil is too hot, should i move the light further away or fix by watering a little each day?

I am using regular tap water and i typically let it sit for 24 hours before using...but its possible I've watered without waiting that long once or twice...could that be whats causing the ph inbalance?

4. Thanks for the response yazdan. If the soil is too hot, should i move the light further away or fix by watering a little each day?

I am using regular tap water and i typically let it sit for 24 hours before using...but its possible I've watered without waiting that long once or twice...could that be whats causing the ph inbalance?

5. You're welcome buddy.
    You can either flush it(which is not my favorite action though) or transplant it into a lighter mix.
    When did it happened? how it was looking before the feeding?

6. Yeah i've been reading about the flushing stuff and would rather avoid this since i'm rather inexperienced right now. What soil would you recommend as a lighter mix, something like the coco stuff i've been reading about?

It looked like it was growing well. all the same natural green look...the only thing i'd say was wrong with the plant was the yellowing you still see and the drooped leaf...it hasn't really grown since i've started watering every 5 to 7 days.

7. Likely over watered...if you've given the plant any water at all since you put it in this pot. Likely nute burn due to MG soil being loaded to the gills with nutes and you don't have enough perlite in your soil mix to provide the optimum drainage for the plant. I also would drill more drain holes in the bottom of the container. These plants hate having moisture around their roots so you have to have a mix with superior drainage and a container that will freely drain away excess water. MG soil is not a good soil (IMO) to use for this. You would do better to go to a plant nursery and buy a bag of the basic potting mix they use and add perlite to it to about a 60/40 soil/perlite mix. TIP: The better grade of soil you use to grow in, the less nutrients you need to give your plant. I don't know the length of weeks those autoflowers go because I don't grow that type, but you do not lose money investing in good formulated grow soil. It pays for itself in that it will feed your plants for you for weeks, is for sure the proper mix to keep the roots on your plant happy and saves you having to deal with feeding the plant. But MG always burns a new seedling. You desperately need better lighting to ever get anything more than a few grams out of this plant after it's dried and cured. Growing anything is about the light it gets, and we can't come close to replicating the sun...the ultimate light source. But to get a MJ plant to really grow and flower big, it's got to have enough wattage in the proper spectrum. We use 1000 watt HPS lamps for flower and run a couple of plants under each lamp on a 10 week flower cycle (the benefit of not using auto varieties) and our per plant yield is usually between 3.5 and 4 oz after harvest and cure. So the wattage of quality of light you use to grow with has everything to do with what that plant will produce. Read up on how to tend a MJ plant during veg to give yourself some kind of base to work from. Should've done this before you got a plant but nobody ever does. LOL Good luck. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  8. Any organic soil that's marked as "seedling" or "starter mix" would do the trick.
    Coco is good(both as a growing medium or the fluff agent for your soil mix) but if you're not experienced and not having required stuff(pH/PPM/EC meter, coco-specific nutrients, etc.) you may run into trouble if you go for a 100% coco growth.

9. Ah this is the best, thanks for such a well written response. So, so far what i'm taking from this is that I need a bigger pot...and better soil...i'll see if i can run to home depot and pick up some new non-MG soil with some perlite. As for the lights, is what i have not a decent lighting setup for one plant? I was reading a few beginner guides to growing a MJ plant and figured the 3 +140 watt (red) and 2 + 130 watt (blue) would be good enough since I also painted the inside of the cabinet all white.

10. Thanks for the extra advice! I'll look into transplanting this little guy into a bigger pot with some organic starter mix. Should I still mix perlite with the soil if i'm going to be switching to this organic stuff?

• Like Like x 1
  11. You're welcome.
    Perlite is used for keeping air(oxygen) in your medium. Regardless of (the brand and type of)your soil mix, it's good to have at least 20% perlite mixed in it so it will have a good balance of water/air.
    Also listen to @The Widow White advices and you'll be good.(he knows what he's talking about ;)

12. Awesome, thanks for the explanation! I just transplanted the plant into a 2gal pot with a lot more drainage holes at the bottom. I filled it with Organic soil I found at Home Depot and followed the instructions on how to transplant from the grow weed easy forums. Let hope for the best!

I did notice in the old pot...there was atleast an inch of moist soil...i think this was probably because the pot i was using only had 4 small drainage holes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dunno how y'all can see that from one shady image. Those Blades know their stuff and the advice is sound.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14. You're welcome. Let us know about how it's going on. Also, did you add perlite? Any pics from your new pot would be great.

15. Not a pro but i think it might be too cold for it.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

16. Ahh, you think maybe the fan i'm using is too big? I am using a regular sized desk fan. I have it about 5 ft away from the plant.

17. Hi Guys!

To update everyone, I did the transplant I believe on Thursday or Friday...was a little nervous when I found out that I messed up some of the roots towards the very bottom of my previous pot.

First day after transplant...I was a bit down to find out that most of the leaves appeared to droop a little more than usual and the plant seemed to struggle to keep itself balanced. I turned my fan off, gave the plant a few extra hours of light...and hoped for the best.

Second day after transplant, I decided to take pictures and upload because to me, it looks like my plant is making a recovery? I see new growth coming out and the existing growth looks to be getting healthier? I could be wrong, but let me know what you guys think. I took some close-ups of the leaves for a better idea.

I will let you guys know how the plant looks tonight, but until then...does it look like my little one will make a recovery? What's going on with the leaves i took close-ups of, were they sick and are now making a recovery...or were they sick and are now inching towards death?

20170205_185137.jpg 20170205_185201.jpg 20170205_185202.jpg 20170205_185213.jpg 20170205_185248.jpg 20170205_185258.jpg

18. Just posted some new pictures and updated info!

19. Any insight on the above pictures I posted?