First Time Grow Journal

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by iBenWise, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Hello Grasscity Forums!

I am a first timer who has done a lot of research and is hoping to make this first time (at least, a small) success. Knowledge is power, and i would love to learn as much as possible from anyone who is willing to share! I will be updating later today with pictures of the seedlings and my grow room (any feedback would be appreciated). I planted them about 2 days ago and they are looking good so far! Here are all the items used for my grow :D

Seeds: Planted 4 (3 white russian, 1 diesel)
    Soil: MG Organic
    Lighting: 1 MH 250w for veg, 1 HPS 250w for flowering
    Nutes: Fox Farm Grow Big, Tiger Bloom & Big Bloom

2. Congrats on your first grow. You will find it highly addicting.

I would suggest start off by reading all of the stickies on the forums...there at the top of each forum. Then Google some grow guides. After reading about 2-3 you will discover that there all very similar. Reading is about 80% battle the other 20% you get from the actual grow. Every grow will have its own challenges and differences to so each grow is a learning experience.

If I were you I would ditch the MG Soil and get Fox Farm Ocean soil. MG soil is nothing but trouble you might not have any issues but more apt to and the cool thing about MG soil is when its over a few weeks later the issue comes right back. Its the gift that never stops giving.

MG Soil itself is not bad its the pre nuted orbs they put in it. There time/water released and they rupture and release nutes in the soil. The issue is you never know when there going to release or where there at. You can have a bunch clusted around the roots and they go off and your root is toasted. Its much better to have non nuted soil and you add your own nutes...it puts the control into your hand. The reason why everyone thinks its great is its found at every stinking place you can think of, but at least for MJ is probably one of the biggest problem causers.

3. Thanks for the reply rhapsodyrcks!

It's definitely a highly addictive proceeds; I find myself checking on the ladies any chance I get and I'm only 2 days in! I'm excited for what lies ahead though, I'm looking to learn as much as possible with this grow.

I considered getting Fox Farm Ocean Soil, but like you said, I went with the organic because it was easy to get (picked it up from home depot) haha. Do you think I should switch to Fox Farm Soil immediately? Or could I wait for when I up pot?

-Ben

4. When you pot up is fine. For future grows shy away from MG you will be very happier even if you do not know it.

5. Great. Thanks for the tips!

So here is my grow closet along with some pics of the seedlings ( I'm very happy that 4/4 sprouted!). It's a little small, but I'm only going to have 4 plants so it shouldn't be an issue. Any feedback is appreciated! I plan on updating every couple days or so.

One of them is looking much stronger then the others and has a long thin stem. Should I be concerned about stretching this early on? I lowered the light a little in hopes to prevent this...

Attached Files:

6. #6 Ratch33, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
    Hey buddy, congratz on the first grow! You wil see in time how fun and easy growing actually is..I'm a noob at indoor growing aswell but almost done with my first,
    Advice I would give is that:
    * It looks like aluminium foil you have as reflecting material, never use aluminium as it traps heat, and unevenly spread aluminium (like with bumps and folds) the HID light intensity will be reflected on one spot/s causing leaf and bud burn..(Very Bad man, haha:p)
    *The little fellow seems to be stretching towards the light which is a indicator to bring the light closer, if you cant move the light try stacking some books,bricks,small table or whatever you can do to bring them a little closer..

(My box is only 3.11ft high and I keep them about 30cm, 1ft I think from the girls) Maby move the light 1.5-2ft from plants..
    Good way to determine if the light is too close, put your hand at the top of the plants with your palm facing the plants, if the light burns the backside of your hand it's too hot, if it doesn't start to burn after a while it's super fine my friend..

Excuse my spelling, Wish you luck, and hope I could have been of some help..

PEACE

7. Thank you Ratch 33... much appreciated. Good luck with finishing up your first grow:smoke:

Do you have any suggestions on what I could replace the aluminum foil with? I'm on a pretty tight budget at this point, so something that's cheap but effective would be best! If anyone has further advice, I'd be glad to listen!

I raised up the pots on a box, so they are about 1.5-2 ft from the light and it looks like it helped a lot. Looked at the ladies this morning, all four have sprouted through and are up to 4 leaves :) very exciting. I will update with picks once they make some more substantial progress!

-Ben

8. Hope you understand me on this one...

*Get some thick plastic sheet's, normally painters use them to cover floor's so paint doesn't spill.. The sheet's are white or black, don't know if your hardware store's keep them in stock but the're awsome working as a cheap alternative reflecting material..I personally think the white would do better.

Your space is bigg, so painting cardboard wouldn't be clever, as you're going to need alot of paint and cardboard..

Hope it helps, remember white paint also does the job good enough..

And thanx, im so anxious..we're day 6 flower now.. haha PEACE

9. Thanks for the input Ratch! I appreciate the help man. I actually decided to spend a little extra (about $20) and get some mylar foil off amazon. It'll be here by next week along with some fox farm ocean Forrest soil, so I'm excited for that. I took a look at your thread and those plants are lookin nice and healthy! +karma to your grow man :smoke:

Here's some new pics to keep everyone updated on the progress. They're all about 4 days old now and are looking great! Looking ahead, Im going to be getting some 3 gallon pots for when I pot up... Does anyone have any suggestions on when is the best time to pot up? Any input is appreciated!

Peace, B

Edit: Just took a look at the pics on the thread, sorry for the quality! I've been using my iPhone but i'll deff use a digital camera for the next update..

Attached Files:

10. Unfortunately mylar does the exact same thing as tin foil. Mylar is used in emergency blankets, which is designed to reflect 100% heat but less than 100% of light. I'm learning this myself, because I'm having a really hard time keeping the temps low in my cfl grow. I'm gonna have to go through and tear up all my mylar :(

11. What's up anonymous91! Thanks for the reply man... I decided to with Hydrofarm Reflective Material and it actually just got here today. I tore down the aluminum foil and put some of this stuff up and it looks 100x better. That sucks you're gonna have to tear down that mylar! I'm actually a little surprised because I've read quite a few times that mylar works really well. Here is the grow room plus a pic of the strongest plant.

Lata

Attached Files:

12. #12 Ratch33, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
    Any material (doesn't matter how much light it reflects) it will trap heat, mylar works awsome for me..
    Buddy I would recomend to move the pots up closer to the light, you'l see more rapid growth..And less streching
    You'l see in my grow im runnin 400w hps and plants less than 1ft from the light..You should check it out

13. Hey all!

So I think I've run into a big problem here with the plants... They all look very green and healthy (one of the steams is purple at the top), but over the past 4 or 5 days I have not seen ANY growth. I'm afraid that the plants have locked up but I'm not sure why...

My initial though was that maybe the pH in the soil is off. I used the MG organic but was planning on switching to FOx Farm once I pot up.. I've had them on a good watering schedule, every 1.5-2 days, checking the dryness of the soil and what not. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

14. Give it some more time buddy, unless they're rootbound which i doubt at this stage, what's your temps at the moment my friend??

15. My temp in the grow closet is roughly 75 degrees... It seems like they've been growing a little bit, but not as much as they did in the first week. Some of the leaves are twisting slightly and one plant has yellowish spots on the end of the leaves. It could be over watering but idk at this point..