First Time Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Richard50, Jun 15, 2015.

1. #1 Richard50, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
    This is my first time growing. I started 3 bag seed but they all germed at different times so some are lagging behind. I'll try and get pics up ASAP. I really need help with lighting and ventilation, hope some wise growers can give me pointers!!

:edit: this is the dimensions of my grow box 12.8"W x 12.8"D x 15"H (32.5cm x 32.5cm x 38cm)

2. Thats a small growbox looking at your dimensions, I'm very curious to see it!  [​IMG]
    You still germinated 3 from the 3 bagseeds, thats a good score so far haha [​IMG]

3. It is very small to start out but it can be doubled in size when needed. Pictures soon!

4. #4 Richard50, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434394208.671884.jpg

The grow box is on bottom but as you can see it could be doubled or even tripled in size by taking out the middle planks

5. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434401341.498248.jpg

Finished putting ventilation in but not sure how I'm going to cut down on that light... Any suggestions??

6. Where is the light seeping out from?

7. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434402314.036280.jpg

The babies the biggest is 4 days old. The middle one put on quite the stretch as I could only get my hands on 1 13w cfl but I'm possibly getting another 13 today. I'm not sure what color temperature the bulb I have is. I currently have the light REALLY REALLY close to try and make up for such a low wattage but I haven't had light burn yet thank goodness

8. The light is seeping through the fan, the light is in the front right corner and the fan is on the left so the light shines right through it

9. Ohh i see now ... but srry to say now that ik its a fan i have no clue on how to cut down the light

10. Could I possibly put up a aluminum foil "wall" in between my light and box? There's enough space that I don't think it would interfere with air flow

Yes you need a light trap. I would say make a diy carbon filter and attach it: it well kill odor and makes your fan lightproof at the same time.

12. I was planning on making one but not this soon. I'm worried my little fan won't push air through the filter. It's only a 4" fan I think it's a Lakewood HV-4 mini desk fan.

I think most desk fans are pushing more air then most PC fans, and a lot of people here are using PC fans without problems (me too) [​IMG]

14. Ok sweet. I'll start the carbon filter that's on the DIY thread that uses pencil holders soon. For now I got my light down but just but moving things in my room around my box. It's only a temp fix till I get the filter
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434410239.305718.jpg

You can use nylon stocking, it will not stop all the lightning, but if you have one laying around its a nice fast upgrade.
    Otherwise go for a light trap:
    https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135524
    Or attach a 90 degree angled duct.

16. Put the stocking over the fan? I'll look but I don't think I have one laying around. I'll look into the other stuff. This has to remain somewhat "stealth"

17. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434413656.369786.jpg

Another quick question. Will this stuff be suitable for my babies? I don't plan on doing any nutes till I get a few more sets of leaves. It's 1-1-1 so I thought it would be ok to start. Also when would be a good time to transplant

18. Update

I had to do a quick transplant on my second largest plant after she got tipped over my a light. Progress pics when I get home!

19. #19 Richard50, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    Picture time!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434514311.311254.jpg my big girl, does she look like she's getting too hot? She looks a little wilty but I'm not sure

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434514390.515737.jpg my baby girl looking better after the emergency transplant

Edit: after checking on her a couple hours later I noticed a little purple under her leaves and she's dropping pretty good. Overwatering or underwatering? Really need some help!!

Yes put the stocking on the fan, it will keep the air flowing but pretend the carbon from falling through. 

Not sure, but the first picture looks a little bit heat stressed. Try to add some ventilation :) Did you check the temps already?