First time Grow, Follow my journey (CFL & Homemade grow box)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ChillyWilly5, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Hello all,

First time grower here. I have been soaking in research every day for about 4 hours a day the last two weeks. I can't get enough! You guys are so helpful on here!

I recently decided to start up a grow box, mostly because I find gardening to be a hobby of mine. I am constrcuting a grow box 42in H x 24 in W x 24 x D. If will be equipped with CFLs, computer exhaust fans, PVC passive intake valves, a third computer fan blowing on the plant, and one or two wonderful plants. Going to start with bagseed in case anything goes wrong!

I started constructing the grow box on Wednesday 2-29-12. All the wood was scrap (my friend frames houses). Used 1/2" Ply, 1x2s and 2x2s for the base frame.

Here is what I have so far!

The basic frame work!
    [​IMG]

The view from the front!

[​IMG]

2. Looks good so far I'll sub.

3. Just applied GE II, Paintable/Waterproof Silicone to all cracks and edges.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Looking like a solid start, man. Subbed for sure, best of luck!

5. Make sure you wear fall protection like it says on the front......lol

6. Today I made my last trip to Home Depot and finished purchasing the rest of my supplies. I will post the final cost after I add up all of my reciepts.

Today I applied outside paneling (I love the plain wood finish) and started to apply a reflective layer on the inside. I am using a reflective tape adhesive, Home Depot did not carry Mylar. I believe the tape will work fine, anyone think differently?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. [quote name='"ChillyWilly5"']Today I made my last trip to Home Depot and finished purchasing the rest of my supplies. I will post the final cost after I add up all of my reciepts.

Today I applied outside paneling (I love the plain wood finish) and started to apply a reflective layer on the inside. I am using a reflective tape adhesive, Home Depot did not carry Mylar. I believe the tape will work fine, anyone think differently?

[/quote]

Im not 100% sure about that tape, its aluminium tape the same as tin foil and tin foil is a big NO as far as iv read, it creates hotspots on your plants and doesnt reflect evenly. I may be wrong but thats what iv read bud

8. I used it at the beginning but it started falling off. It was an old roll so maybe the adhesive was getting old. I used white duct mud from a HVAC supplier. It is a water based adhesive/filler for ducting. You use a cheap paint brush and brush it on. It will seal your box completely and it drys flat white which is perfect. Great stuff used it for many years to seal ducting and its weather proof (get all weather version).

9. The seal seems very strong, I dont think it will come close to falling off. This stuff also does not feel like tin foil at all, it feels like a glossy finish on the outside.

10. There are two types aluminum foil tape and then there is venture tape that is a aluminized plastic. That has become more popular in the last 10 years. I used aluminum tap and mine stuck great but a few days later it started releasing.

11. Only time will tell!

12. Have been trying to get a lot done today, passive intakes, finish reflective coating, door on. All that is left is a few touch ups on the inside, weather stripping and the electrical. Hope to be all finished tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. its looking good!

14. Weather stripping the door so there were no light leaks was a pain in the ass! I have got it pretty much down, there might be a tiny SPEC of light, I dont think it would cause any problems because no light is going to get in.

15. Don't sweat the small light leaks. Remember the moon and the starts are out at night and the moon can shine some serious light.

16. Pretty much what I was thinking. Moon, stars, street light, etc...

17. So I have finally got my seedlings under some light! I have finished the box except for attaching the carbon filters and a few more acessories. Excited to see how they come along!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Interest light reflector.
    Those peat pots can be a problem later I would stay away in the future.

19. I used the peat pots bc it was all I had atm...Once they get to about 1-1.5" I will transplant. Should that be a problem? The light reflector is a turkey baking pan...is that ok or should I take it off?

UPDATE! Two of Five seedlings have risen above dirt. The soil seems to be drying out fast in my box. Too much perlite? Too low humidity? I turned the little computer fan off of the plants as maybe that would help them dry out less. Should these little guys be covered?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. P.S. add 5% to the rH monitor.