First time grow - Brown spots early on

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LongboardStoned, May 15, 2012.

1. The plant is only around a week old, and some brown spots are showing up. After a day or two, the edges of the biggest leaves are all starting to decay. I'm sure it's some sort of nutrient deficiency, but I can't figure out which, or what to do about it.

Some pictures:

A few days into it:
    [​IMG]

Early stages of brown spots coming in:
    [​IMG]

More recent:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like burn to me, what kind of soil is that? Are you giving it nutrients? If it was a deficiency I think your cotyledons would be yellow, that's been my experience anyway.

I'd get them out of that dirt and into some good soil. :bongin:

3. I'm using Miracle Gro Seed Starting Potting Mix. Just something I picked up at wal mart, what would you recommend instead?

4. I'd use just about anything before using Miracle Gro. Foxfarm Light Warrior is great for starting plants, and Root Riot cubes work well. Check out nurseries if you can't find a hydro shop.

5. I heard somewhere that the Seed Starting one wasn't too bad. I really don't have any gardening experience, would it be okay for the plant if I switched soil this early on?

6. I've done it with plants that were given to me and they rebounded no problem. I checked out that soil and it says it has a little bit of MG nutes but tbh, I'm surprised to see your plants like that in any seed-starting soil, did you feed them anything?

7. Nope, I've watered it water that had been sitting out. However, not sure if it would matter, but when I first started growing, I was using a 100w floodlight. After a day or two I switched to a 100w CFL. I didn't think to mention because the brown spots only came after the CFL had been on for a while.

8. Doesnt look to bad. I'd watch for what the new growth looks like. New growth should be green and healthy looking. You will have new growth in 1-2 days

9. Just adjust the cfl to about 4" away from plant and it wouldn't hurt to have a small fan circulating the air. I wired up some PC fans I had kicking around, mounted then in the grow box and I can tell it has already strengthened them.

10. Alright little bit of an update here, following Jack's instructions on waiting. As you can see in the new pictures from today, I'm getting some growth, but the same two yellow-tipped leaves remain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Whats the Ph of your water going in and comming out and what are your temps? The small round leaves and single bladed leaves will naturaly fie off but your single bladed leaves should be diying off that quick.

12. Eh, I don't have anything to measure pH with :/. Are you saying they SHOULD be dying off, or..?

13. Your single bladed leaves are showing some damage and early. It could be a PH problem or heat or something else. But for for a healthy plant you need to controll the Ph of the water and or nutes going in but the most important PH reading is from the run off. The run off PH reading will tell you the PH of the soil and that will help you make any needed PH adjustments on the next water or feed cycle. In soil you want a PH run off reading around 6.3-6.8 with 6.5 being the safe zone. Like mentioned those single bladed leaves will naturaly die off but for your plant its way to soon. What are your grow area temps, humidity?

14. I don't have a pH/humidity/temp tool, this was just kind of an experiment that I honestly didn't think would go through, I don't normally get bag seed so this was rare for me. I still need to figure out a good way to hide it and smells before I start dishing out on those. I'm in a decently large house but I have family stay here every once in a while. Sorry to go off topic but would it be possible to conceal smells enough that someone in the same house wouldn't notice?

15. I just saw a commercial for miracle-gro on TV. @_@ Must be weed season.