First time grow, absolute beginner.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Michaelllll, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Hey everyone I hope you're all having a good day / night, so I've decided that my life's pretty empty right now and I want to put my mind to something with a bit of a challenge, so I'm planning to grow 1 or maybe 2 plants for personal use ;), when I say I'm an absolute beginner I really mean it so describing things in detail can really help me. So currently I don't have a perfect spot but it's going to have to be outdoors as I do still live with my parents, so I live in a bit of a suburban area so it makes things difficult as I only have my bmx bike as transportation. I took some photos of an area that is extremely close to me and could potentially be a grow spot, although it's very close to houses. An advantage I have is living not far at all from Bunnings warehouse, basically somewhere that I can purchase anything necessary for growing. I'm still having a look irl / on Google maps for some grow areas but this is all I have for now (inserting pictures below here)

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440503435.951866.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440503602.194215.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440503623.522915.jpg

This path has maybe 15 people who walk past it a day, the more I think about it the sillier it seems to use this as a spot, either way I'm definitely still gonna be looking for better spots. A few more details is that it's currently winter and has a few months until we're gonna be getting warmer weather.

I'm gonna read up a lot on growing outdoors on here but anyway thanks for reading and any advice the community can offer will be of great help :)

2. #2 Agter, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    During vegging they don't smell, so that's ok. Those pics look nice enough to keep curious people seeing them by accident. Check the area for animals, specially during the veg period. Also, get a small bag of good soil and compare it to the current soil provided by your spot. If needed, manually add some basic components to the ground (like perlite)!
    If you're going to use pots, go for a big ones so that you don't need to do transplants.
    Also, for maximimum protection, grow some sorts of plants around the pot. When they grow, you can use it like a bush, conceiling the pot from a simple sight.
    Go for dark colors on the pot.

That's all I can think about atm [​IMG]

Edit: during flower the smell is big, but not THAT big. Check for wind directions, going through the already existing plants. See if they can provide enough shelter, as in "wind blockers".

3. [quote name="Agter" post="21958281" timestamp="1440512800"]

Thanks for the advice :), in Australia animals aren't really a big problem in these sorts of areas, but the problems are more so insects and snakes, although I shouldn't need to worry about snakes until summer.
    Also, another question, saying everything went through well and everything grew perfectly how would I dry it out seeing as I can't bring it inside?

And also if it rains does it necessarily matter if it wets buds?

4. For the drying part, you can just make a DIY improv. Put them at least 1ft above ground, hanging in line threads, just like you hang wet clothes.
    For the wet part.. DON'T let them get wet. Mold can easily grow on them! Also, water washes off the potency.. so yeah, try to find a safe place where there's some sort of ceiling covering water.
    Is it moist where you live, or dry air? Moist can also be a problem for buds.

5. For the area I'm planning to grow in, it's dry but currently we're getting random spurts of rain. Although it is coming up to spring soon so that could mostly eliminate that problem

6. I just finished some autoflowers over the northern summer, and they worked out well. I grew Short Rider from Nirvana and it's exactly as described on their website. My plants started to bud a month after they sprouted, and the whole process was about 3 months from seed to harvest.

I always grow in black plastic nursery containers. That way the plants don't get huge, and I can move them around. For my autos I used 2-gallon containers. The plants only got to be about 2 feet tall. I netted about 120 grams/4 oz. of dried bud from 3 of them, but I was growing under close to ideal conditions.

I live in a climate with mild temperatures. In a warmer climate, the black nursery containers would get too hot. You might be better off with cloth bags ("Smart Pots"). But then you'll have to water more.

For soil, I use good commercial potting soil mixed with 1/3 perlite.

Once they start to bud, you definitely want to keep rain off them.

The trick with stealth growing is to maximize sunlight while keeping the plants inconspicuous. If you can tuck plants into the brush in 2 or 3 locations, you might at least get something for your trouble. I know a lot of people who have tried this. They always end up with a good story. Once in awhile, they end up with good weed. If you keep your costs and expectations to a minimum, it's worth a try. Good luck!

7. Thanks for the help Charlie, very clear instructions too :), In the mean time of the plant still sprouting rain doesn't really matter though, right? Also I'm thinking of changing locations to what's called a "wetland" area, it's basically like a small lake that is a community attraction I guess, so near that should be some good bush land I can consider growing in.

A question I have is can I prepare a hole with soil and perlite, then just plant a seed? Or is the seedling growing in a cup/small pot thing mandatory?

8. Nothing in my suggestions is mandatory. I have grown a lot of weed, but only in one location. I never go beyond the most basic techniques that work for me, so I am not an expert. But I have heard the hair-raising tales of people who try to grow on public land. I have helped them smoke what they managed to harvest. Usually it was leafy bud that didn't get enough sunlight and was cut way too soon. But we smoked it and it worked.

For what you're doing, yes, you could prepare holes and plant seeds. I suggest containers because you can move them around if you have to. You can hide them in the deep dark woods if there is a big event at the lake, and put them back at the edge of the clearing when the people have gone away.

Containers also get your young plants off the ground, so they are less likely to be eaten by rodents and bugs.

Containers limit the size of your plants, which is good or bad depending on what you want. Marijuana plants can get HUGE.

The seedlings are a bit touchy when they are young. The most common mistake people seem to make is that they over-water their poor seedlings. Then the leaves droop and turn yellow, and people think they have a nutrient deficiency, so they pour on plant food and make matters worse.

What I do is boil some water so it is sterile, let it cool down, and use it to moisten a clean paper towel. I wring it out so it's not dripping wet but still moist. Then I fold my seeds into the towel, and put it in a plastic tub with the lid on but not tight, and put that in a warm place for a couple of days. Once a root pops out, I plant my seeds in soil that I have pre-watered. I don't water again until my starts are up and the soil is dry down to about an inch.

In your case, if you want to grow directly in the ground, you might get some starts going in small containers and transplant them.

Rain will not damage plants when they are vegging, but once they start to bud, you want to keep the rain off those buds or they are apt to mold.

9. Okay thanks for clearing up some things, rain shouldn't be trouble since we're getting into spring soon so it's actually good timing. The only reason why I wouldn't grow in pots is that it's hard to get a large pot out where it needs to be with a bag and a bike hahaha. I do want to go for quantity over quality but still maintain a decent amount of quality. I'm gonna continue to read up on this and by mid next month hopefully I can get the grow on the way, when I do get around to that I will be updating this thread with pictures and what not day by day to make sure I'm doing everything possible to keep my plant/s healthy, also I don't have 100% guarantee on finding seeds but I'm pretty sure I know where to look for them. As for watering I can get about 1.2 litres of water out to the plants whenever needed, how often should I water the plant/s?

10. In a hot summer your plants will want a lot more than 1.2 liters of water a day, especially if they are growing directly in the ground with nothing to hold in the moisture.

You'll figure it out as you go along. I love hearing the stories of people who have done this kind of thing.

11. Ah okay, I might invest in some 1 litre bottles if they fit in my bag hahaha

12. A quick update: turns out I might be able to get seeds for free!

13. Semi an update, looking long and hard to find a nice spot, meanwhile enjoy the scenery :) ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440661748.468806.jpg

14. Currently at a cheap as chips and having a squiz at gardening supplies

15. UPDATE: SITE HAS BEEN FOUND! going to try to grab some soil and a shovel and start getting site ready! In the mean time the current natural soil is feeling pretty moist and generally good, leaving a pic below :). ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440738692.368311.jpg

16. #16 Michaelllll, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
    This thread doesn't seem very alive but regardless I hope I can still acquire some help from fellow growers and maybe even help some new comers.

So, today I got the soil in and mixed with the grounds soil, there's a few problems still, though, insects are very alive in the area as with kangaroos as I had a very close encounter with a few while working on my site hahaha, so I'm just wondering how much will the insects effect my plant? How many does it really take to completely ruin a crop?

Anyway, the soil / plot is about 3-4 by 3-4 ft so I wanna know how many seeds can I cram into this plot? Plus I plan on cloning the fems to make up for the males, I was personally hoping for 4 plants in the spot but what do you's all think? Gonna post pictures from today now so thanks for reading :).

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440925199.316245.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440925234.717199.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440925282.174158.jpg

17. Hey mate, its cool that you found a spot, but its looks really open.

You should find a spot that is dense and still has enough room for sunlight.

18. #18 Michaelllll, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
    It is sorta open but it's surrounded by small hills and very little people come around it, I'm trying to say this without sounding ignorant or like a prick but it's the spot wether it's a good or bad spot

19. yeah that's all good, just make sure no one is watching you or following to your sight and don't tell anyone about your grow sight, not even your friends or family. I will be viewing this thread often.