Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

first time going to dispensary

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by abstractworld, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, I'm a noobie when it comes to cannabis. I smoke it once in a while with friends but i dont know much about 8ths, grams and stuff.

I got my mmj for my chronic back pain and im about to go to the dispensary for the first time.

I'm totally unsure how to purchase cannabis from them. I kind of know what strains work for what but I dont know how to get how much grams and the routines and stuff

anyone want to guide me on the procedures?

i live in california

2. tell the budtender everything you just told us, if they arent helpful then dont feel pressure to buy something there, if they dont help you out, leave and find some place that will.

what i would suggest is buying an 8th....which is 3.5 grams. and i would split it up however many ways the dispensary will let you. that way you can try at least 2 or 3 different strains and see what you like best.

3. Congrats on the MMJ Card I'm glad you can get the medicine you deserve now. I too recently(2months) got my MMJ card and had my first dispensary experience... Since then I've been too about 6 others and can proudly say I've never had a bad experience.. I Definently suggest reading some reviews online and looking at their menus to get an idea of what to expect when it comes to prices and what strains they might have in stock.. Have fun!

4. Thanks for the replies guys

@ yellow bic
    I was planning on buying an 8th which is around $50
    What do you mean split it up though?
    I thought buying an 8th meant you buy an 8th of like purple diesel

5. I think he means like buy an oz but see if you can get 8 different strains

6. Or you could get:
    1 gram of X strain
    1 gram of Y strain
    1.5 (Some dispens won't do .5s) of Z strain.

Equaling an eighth.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. They are there to help. Sometimes you will find a worthless "budtender", though.

7. 1st your mind will = blown the first time you walk in to one
    &
    Most places will be more than happy to help you out with any questions you might have

As for splitting it up
    Say they sell for $20 a gram / $50 an 8th {3.5 gram}
    You're getting a break in price

Not all but some places will let you mix it up
    Like 1 gram of this 1 gram of that & 1 1/2 gram of another & will still charge you the going price for an 8th instead of charging you for 3 separate grams

8. #8 HBmonster, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
    The only things you will need will be your card or paper, your CA drivers license or ID and $$$.

When you walk in they will ask you if your returning or a new patient and if your new they will have you fill out a form and run you through their system to validate you and you might get a stamp or sticker on the back of your card. They then will let you in to where the bud and goodies are kept and a budtender should be attending you as soon as you walk in.

Chances are they will have first time patient deals (you usually get a free gram with a donation of +$40 or maybe a free joint or something, it varies place to place) feel free to ask them ANYTHING about weed.

Say you have back pain so they can direct you at something good. Also, feel free to just talk to them. It's not like a smoke shop where you can't see weed or bong and all that shit. It's a clinic and they will treat you nice hopefully.

I tend to go to new clinics about every 3rd for 4th time just because they're so many around me and so I can get that new patient deal every time :p

ALSO, check ø Medical Marijuana Dispensary & Marijuana Doctors Directory ø to find clinics around you. If you feel lazy and don't want to drive or you don't have the time to go somewhere, call a delivery and they should get to you under an hour depending on how near of far they are. They sometimes will give you something free if they are over an hour.

Welcome to the medical world :) I live in California too by the way.. You might also want to read up on what laws protect you and what laws you think might but actually don't (ex: you can still be fired for failing a drug test).

9. ya thats what i meant