First time DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Thosestrangeclouds, Sep 9, 2013.

1. #1 Thosestrangeclouds, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
    Hello blades!So my recent soil grow is finished and I've been working on my next past few weeks.Been growing soil for awhile now so I want to try out the same strain in a hydro setting.400 watt mh for veg and 400 watt hps for flower.4 5 gallon buckets10" net pots & hydroton3 pumps8 air stones (two per bucket)1 cloner bucketNuits: pro-teKt 1/2 strengthLiquid plant food 1/2 strength Superthrive All for veg.Flower nuits:bud candyLiquid bloom.I'm doing then all two weeks apart.Got the first two in rotation.Their roots looks nice and white and the growth compared to my two soil clones is amazing. I've never seems some grow so fast on a day to day basis.I took about 10 clones from my last plant at around day 45.This is the first week before they started to play in the water :)Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. This is half way to week two.
    My question: I'm going to do two different rooms for my veg and flower.
    Veg in tent, flowers in 6x6x6 ft room.
    When do you guys think I should flower?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

3. Week 2 as of today. My root zone is becoming bigger everyday.
    Never seen a plant with so many tops so early in growth this is crazy.
    I feel like no training is really necessary because this thing is bushing itself out.

PH is sitting at 5.8
    Plant are eating up everything I feed em I can't wait to flower these babes out.
    Anyone got any tips or hints on when I should flower this out? I don't know how to compare this growth to soil so I'm unsure when would be a good time.

The strain is girl scout cookies.
    She didn't stretch that much so not sure what the end product is gonna be like

4. Good job so far! 

The best time to flower is relative.   It depends on how much room you have to flower them in.  If you're under a 400w light, you might want to flower about 4 plants under it, with the buckets almost touching, arranged in a square formation, under the light. 

Each strain reacts differently, and indica/sativa react different to flowering, too.   It looks like you have an indica dominant strain, which is good because it's easier to predict how much it will grow in flower.   Sativas grow a LOT in height once they start flowering.  Indicas don't move as much.

Roughly speaking expect your plant to triple in height, given the size of the largest one now.   This is just an estimate, and you'll be able to gauge this better the next time you grow this strain. 

I would recommend letting them grow for another couple weeks then let em flower.  Your yield is directly related to the size of your root mass and fan leaf maturity.   

I would suggest letting the plants get about 12" tall, then place in flower.    Next time you'll know if you want to start earlier, or let them go a bit longer.

5. #5 Thosestrangeclouds, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
    Thank you for the amazing tips!So all my clones are monster cropping like crazy.My biggest plant already has 14 tops at week 2 of veg I am super impressed with this system.Pics later tonight.Few questions tho;Can I comb out/ or trim the roots?I can't scrog the first few run and I've never monster cropped so how well will she grow unkempt? Will her roots continue to grow after veg?Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. So I'm coming up on week 4 of veg with my baby s. They have been doing pretty well and I've been making sure to keep check of the waters pH.

The bigger one is the 4 week old plant and the smaller one in the back is almost at 2 weeks.

How long do you blades think I should keep vegging?

Attached Files:

7. Niiiiice!
    Planning my first grow as a dwc... jumping right into into it
    thanks for the inspiration

8. You don't want to trim any roots.  Might as well just let the plant go rootbound, if it's going to go rootbound  -unless you can get it into a larger container. 

Yes, the roots absolutely grow in flower, big time!

9. Thank you OP your the shit :).

Gonna put the first babe in flower on Friday.
    Made some connections with some local growers I they threw me some super purp and kiwi seeds so I think I'll throw them in the mix next rotation.

10. #10 Deleted member 424398, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    How much did your set up cost you in total?

11. I didn't pat for any of the set up. Besides the light. Given to me by a friend who has seen me go through my years doing my soil grows.

But we bought it off Another buddy who got 2lights 400w, 6 5 gal buckets, nutes, pumps,tent and etc. It was only 1200. His first harvest he made twice that the first 3 months

12. Hello folks sorry its been a little bit since I posted.

The babies are doing great.
    I can tell by the tops she gonna give me some nice fat colas in the end.

One plant is at its 6th week of veg and the smaller one is now at 4 weeks. I plan on throwing them both in flower and comparing yields of both monster cropped clones. I've got a bunch of normal clones going so I wanna use this time to learn something new :)

With 2 400w bulbs in flower how much will you think I'll yield folks?

Attached Files:

13. So flipped my two plants into flower tonight.
    Doing duel spectrum hps & mph 400w.
    2 stones in each
    Fresh nute change tommrow with
    1/2 strength bud candy
    1/4 strength big bud powder
    And some pro-tek.

Anyone got any tips or know how much I'll yield?

Also grabbed a ppm meter but am not sure on how to use it. Its only showing me 212 ppm on my plant. Is that bad or good?

Attached Files:

14. What are you doing man, go buy $80 growtent

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I have one? Its for my veg

16. There's a lot of light wasted there man. If you had walls it will reflect light back on the plants. You would probably be giving those plants as much light as you have now with just one lamp in an enclosed space.

As for the ppm meter, that figure sounds very low, but only you know what it should be.

To use it correctly you need to test the solution every day and write it down. If the figure rises over the 24 hour period the solution is too strong. If the figure falls over the 24 hour period the solution is too weak.

keep adding nutes to raise the strength, or water to lower it so you get minimal fluctuation. If the figure hasn't moved at all in the 24 hours between testing you have it correct.

As the plants grow their needs change, they gradually require stronger and stronger solution. This then levels off when you switch to flower and then as growth slows the required strength will drop, but you will find this out yourself as time moves on. Just check every day around the same time per day is best and you will easily keep the nutrient solution to the strength the plant prefers

17. Word Ty Gg.
    I planned on doing 6-8 plants under both of those lights in that huge room. But some things got messed up to I could only do 2 this first run.
    Will that effect there growth?

18. Will what effect their growth?

19. #19 Thosestrangeclouds, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
    Sorry its been awhile since last update been getting busy at work so I've been slackin.But anyhow the ladies are doing very good :). Still learning more about ppm by checking each day.Just topped up both plants today.Both have beautiful huge white root balls I can't wait to see them in full bloom. Its a few days away from week 3 and the girls are showing some beautiful small flowers already.Randomly found a lady bug today on one of my smaller plants. I'm going to take it as good luck to keep the pest away :).Also I had some beans pop while I've been gone for the next grow.1 white widow 1 purple erkel 1 random super purple strain2 kiwi kush.Here's some love shots enjoy :DSent from my Nexus S 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

20. More pics :) enjoy

The two smaller are some of my soil clones I had like 9 months ago. They revegged like little champs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files: