First time DWC grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 13lumes, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Well then how are you?
    I'm pretty new here and to growing but I'd like to consider myself an experienced smoker (I'm glad I'm not a veteran, yet) that being one of the reasons I didn't burst with joy on my last, the first, grow I did. It sure helped me learn and change from soil to water so here's what I'm going to do:

Equipement:

Well, I've got the 1.5\1.5m tent but I've got a whole room for it so I can organize everything and who knows? add some more :D

I have six 30 Litre buckets but being DWC I'd say only 25\27 - i still have to measure accurately - will be water.

I'm not using RO or distilled water, I'll run it from the tap, let it sit for 24h and then use it.

Plants are all from seed and are 5x Shiva Skunk and 1x Kaya47. Shiva Shanti 1 was pretty decent I'm trying the Shiva Skunk now.

As I'm going for DWC I need a pretty badass air pump so I have my eyes on one that's for 600-800L I just can't remember the specific values :( but i'll post them here once I buy it.

VEG:

250W MH

AN Grow A+B
    AN Piranha
    AN Voodoo Juice
    AN B-52

FLOW

AN Flow A+B
    AN Big Bud
    AN Overdrive
    AN Bud Candy
    AN Pirinha
    AN Sesizym
    AN Tarantula
    AN Final Phase

I really hope this gives me above all a sweet smelling good tasting potent weed so that I can really enjoy myself for the time that takes me to grow another one :D

Any help, tips comments very much appreciated! I'm still new to growing and DWC so I'd sure like some experience handling ;)

Stay high! :D

2. I think your lighting may be a problem. Not so much vegging where you have a 250 W MH, I think that would probably be great, although you might consider fluorescent lighting instead since its less expensive. But if you're going to use that same light for flowering you may run into problems. You have 6 HUGE buckets. Why so big? Big buckets like that are generally used for big plants. With 250 Watts of light you will have trouble covering those buckets if the plants are of any size at all. The light is not strong enough to penetrate much depth through a large plant. If it was me, I would use fluorescent lights for the vegging to save some money, and then get a 600W HPS for flowering.

keylime

3. I'm sorry! My bad! Yes 250MH for vegetative and 600 HPS Super red for Flowering ;) I want big buds and I cannot lie... :hello:

And btw! Flourescents for the veg was something I tried before but honestly I saw better formation with MH specially relating internodal length...

4. Nice setup, I've had 2 mildly successful runs DWC-ing. I would highly recommend using RO water or justing buying a few gallons of purified water from the grocery store. Unless you're water is relatively cleaner than the norm and it's not a big deal.

AN nutrients are supposed to be auto ph/ppm balanced so perhaps it won't make a difference. I would be interested to know if your tap water + AN nutes works out alright; then I could save money on water from the grocery store and avoid looking like I'm about to cross the border.

5. #5 13lumes, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks gardenofease!

Yes yes I went for the PH perfect formula.. I've been wondering the same thing... I didn't want to go for RO or much worse buying distilled water because I'd prefer buying the RO machine (it would be cheaper on the long run). Thing is, honestly I think that if AN delivers - and I've heard wonders about them - I think I'll stick to tap water and I'll tell you how it goes but only some time from now as I'm going to use purified water for the germination phase.

6. gettin ready to start my own bubbler bucket.. dont have rockwool.. how can i start my plants without dirt.. i get the paper towel thing.. but then what? do i just put the sprout in the hydrotron???

7. No rockwool? You should consider buying some then or maybe a jiffie? They are also pretty good, on a friends opinion even better dunno the specific reason why and won't vouch for the info.
    What you are asking for is the germination process and I'm sure there must be somewhere around here where you can correctly make the question and get all the right answers but since you've posted here anyway what you should do is:

-Wrap the seeds in moist paper
    -Keep them in a dark average temperature place for 3\4 days

Start checking once a day or day yes day no until you see a small white "sprout" which is the root.
    Take the seed with the small root and place it root down on the rockwool\jiffie and voilá that's all.
    If you are using dwc once you want to transfer to the buckets you have to make sure the roots are touching the water!

Oh btw surrounding the jiffie or rockwool will be jesus don't know the name some small balls... someone will type the name soon enough.

8. hydrotron..yea i know how to germ it.. but was wondering if maybe i could use some shredded paper towel or something instead to the rockwool

9. To serve as a filler to your container? Well... no. Because firstly the paper will dissolve itself and also your plant just won't hold itself up and will most likely fall pretty fast. Those two are reasons enough to justify the answer I think xD
    An btw I don't know if you know how to properly set up the dwc because you will have:

[​IMG]

As you can see surrounding the plant in the rockwool cube or jiffie there's the - jesus - i can't remember the name of those balls xD but they are needed instead of the paper to at least hold your plant in place..

10. ive already said it twice! and im very capable and know how a DWC works.. click my sig its all there.. was simply asking if i could cut corners on the rockwool but it seems your easily confused. click the sig and check out my set up...

11. #11 13lumes, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011
    Do you mean literally cut the corners of the rockwoll? Or replace it with paper?
    And btw dude you are an unlucky guy!There are some motion detection alarms that can be made by you by under 30$... Should work wonders ;)

12. lmao.. cutting cost my friend.. not a big deal.. my cheap ass spent the $10 on 45 rockwool cubes.. thanks for your time though!