First Time DWC/Coco/LED Tent Grow - Hawaiian Headband

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by calikevin87, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Do you think I should raise the ppm back up a little at least or should I just let the plant get used to the lower numbers? I'll probably be flowering end of this month if that matters

Sent from my HTC U11 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. I don't reduce the nitro until about 4-5 weeks in flower. It needs the nitro for stretch. I would bump it back up a little if it's responded negatively to the cut in ppm. The plant will tell if it's happy and liking the changes by it's posture and color.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Is your ppm dropping over the course of a day or increasing? If it's increasing then the plant wants it weaker. If the ppm drops as the water level drops then it wants a stronger solution.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'll check this tonight

Sent from my HTC U11 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Day 43:

Looking pretty damn bushy again!
    [​IMG]

Main top almost vertical again-
    [​IMG]

View of the rear/main top-
    [​IMG]

Right side-[​IMG]

Front-[​IMG]

Some yellowing/burn-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side-
    [​IMG]

Aaaannnndd here we are after adding some water to the res and LSTing all the tops down again and taking off like 5 leaves:

Left-
    [​IMG]

Front-
    [​IMG]

Right-[​IMG]

Main Top-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pH is staying around 5.8 and ppm for the nutrient mixture is going from about 650ppm in the bottle to around 1000 once it's in the res and bubbling, but I'll get another reading tomorrow once the plant gets a chance to drink some.

Question, do you think I'm at a point where I can be lollipopping the fan leaves from the smaller "top" chutes? There are so many small tops that are emerging and most of them are growing small fans as well, and it is getting pretty crowded in some of the lower canopy areas. I've been really refraining from pulling too many leaves off, but I still feel like I could remove quite a few without hurting the plant. Also, do you guys prefer pulling the leaves off or using scissors/shears?

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Excellent plant!!!!! cut em off with clean scissors/shears either work good

• Like Like x 2
  7. I've been snapping them off, I will cut them off from now on, thank you.

Day 44:

Main top almost vertical again-
    [​IMG]

Main top-
    [​IMG]

Right side-
    [​IMG]

Front-
    [​IMG]

A little closer-
    [​IMG]

Left side-
    [​IMG]

Still some yellowing, the ppm was up to 1000, so I added some nutrient mixture that was in the 400 range and it dropped to around 700 from what I could see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found a bucket- I was able to let the plant drain into that while I added the water.

[​IMG]

I checked the ppm of the runoff, and it was in the 900 range.

Here she is after adding some water and doing some LSTing

I bent the main top a little too aggressively, had to bend it farther back and tape it up a little bit-
    [​IMG]

Main top-
    [​IMG]

Right side-
    [​IMG]

Front-
    [​IMG]

Left side-
    [​IMG]

Left side a little closer-
    [​IMG]

It's so damn bushy, I'm fairly certain I'm going to do a defoliation tomorrow to reveal light to some more flourishing tops inside the plant. Do you guys think I'm at a place where I can lollipop the fan leaves off a good number of the smaller top chutes or should I wait a bit longer?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey bud just been thinking about your ppm issue. Are you emptying the resevoir regularly?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Once a week, but I prebuffered the coco that I'm using in a solution that was probably around 2000ppm, so I don't know if that matters but it seems to be getting used to the lower ppms, just very slowly.... I'm still not sure if I should stay with a higher ppm since that is what the plant had for the first few weeks, or try to get it used to a lower ppm.

Would there be some beneficial minerals in the tap water that I maybe am not giving the plant when I use the drinking water? There is a huge difference in the ppms, I'm just not entirely sure what all is in the tap water.

10. 2000! Im amazed she never fried lol. Wouldnt think it would still be fuckin with the strength tho. Hmm. Maybe just got your nutes not quite balanced right. A plant that size should be holding pretty steady at 700-800ppm. Shes pretty healthy anyway man. Little light on top but its obviously not bothering her

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Even as a seed she was drinking that ~1500 ppm water, never seemed to phase her until leaves started splitting open like your arms would if you worked out on steroids lol

It's postures seems great, plenty of new growth, it's just the yellowing and some spotting on leaves that has me concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yellowing would usually be a lack of something. N if its the bottoms, iron for the tops. Get a pic up of the spots when you get a chance. It might be cal or mag.
    Lack of iether of those can produce rust coloured spots.

13. The yellowing seems to be on the newest growth which according to your post would mean it's low on iron. Maybe that's what my tap water is heavy in, and it's gone down since I'm using drinking water? Is there a way to test that in water or no?

Here's the yellowing-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeah your tap water would have iron, cal and a few other things in it. I can see some yellow looking spots but they dont look like cal/mag def to me. I could be wrong but from my experience they usually appear dark brown or rusty. Whenever ive had yellow spots its been from the plant sweating and the water burning onto the leaves.
    The yellowing definately looks like iron def but it could be caused by too much of something else. Not neccesarily lack of iron. Gotta go back to work now but ill pop back in later and see if anyone else has chimed in

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nah no way to test that i know of anyway. Ive just been to google and apparently scottish tap water doesnt contain iron. Ours is only 50ppm. Not sure about where you live though. I use calmag with added N and iron so that i dont need to add it individually. Not sure what your options are tho as im not familiar with your nutes

16. Yes and no yes its possible to see.

The water you have now if from a tap the water company should give you a breakdown of water quality i can see whats in my tap water as my water company gives an analaysis the only other way possibly is a drop test some fish tests can test for all sorts.

If its bottled again there should be a wayto get a break down of metals.

Tho if ya worried buy a small carbon filter for water or even a lil air pump filter and put activated carbon in this will remove iron as well as other things from water.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  17. All water will contain some iron if its ground water..
    If you wanna add iron then molassas imhas iron in

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Could be iron is locked out, if you foliar feed a few times with iron and it don't clear up it may be light bleaching......I had a problem of yellowing new growth and thought iron deficiency, caused by a pH problem...waited for my pH meter to arrive and pH was fine through the 4 days for it to get to me I foliar fed njt it didn't recover, that was when I realized it was light bleaching

• Like Like x 1
  19. Light bleaching, as in the lights are turning the leaves yellow? My first thought would be the iron deficiency, but the lights have been getting closer as the plants been bushing up and out the last few days.

20. Yeah like I said foliar feed and see if it helps if not it's the lights bleaching the plant
    If it's light bleaching you could leave the light lower but would need to supplement co^2 plants can utilize 1300 ppm at 85° F