First Time DWC/Coco/LED Tent Grow - Hawaiian Headband

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by calikevin87, Apr 24, 2018.

1. The plant grows some calyxes then they don't get pollinated so the plant grows more calyxes trying to reproduce

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Update for Day 37:

Seems to be doing well, I raised the light up another few inches but I'm pretty much out of space now, I might have to start dialing down the juice to the lights...
    Here's a video from last night-

And a few pics from tonight;

Noticed one bud that has almost completely dried up white hairs-

IMG_20180706_231354.jpg

And a couple spots on one leaf-

IMG_20180706_231308.jpg

Other than that things are looking and smelling pretty good I think, still a little burn on the tips but it doesn't seem to be getting worse with me watching the pH a little closer.

IMG_20180706_232009.jpg

And a quick little fly-by from tonight-

Just realized I did that one in portrait mode, it was for Snapchat lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. Day 39:

We've been having a heatwave lately but as far as I know temps in the tent haven't been going over 90... It's at 87 right now which is higher than preferred but still okay.
    Definitely noticing a few things tonight that are worrying me though.

First I noticed that the overall color has faded from the very top canopy, the leaves are a pale yellow-
    IMG_20180708_213745.jpg

Second there's some brownish-purple color coming in on some of the leaves right now-

IMG_20180708_213724.jpg

IMG_20180708_213705.jpg

It also looks like a lot more of the white hairs are starting to turn orange and dry out, still normal or is this due to the heat? pH also dropped pretty bad, down to 5.1 right now so I'm hoping correcting this will fix the plant but we'll see. Anyone got any ideas?

IMG_20180708_214503.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh wow that came on fast didnt it.
    First though is iron/calamag def.
    My tops go like that if i dont keep up with demand. 3 in 1 bottle though so not sure which one causes it lol. Never been that bad though and not sure what the purple commin throug means. Ill go have a look about and see if i can suss it.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hmm just done some double checking and it would usually be accompanied by some rusty bits and other symptoms.
    In theory calmag should be pretty locked out at ph5 though so might just be the ph.
    Need to start studying again like. My problem solving skills are fading fast lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. With the tips going brown would suggest nutrient burn which looks like it has caused a nutrient lockout of some kind

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

7. Looked a little better last night so I turned the lights back up, but it might have been too much.. the leaves near the top seem to be a little more pale than before, and most of the growth lower down is a much darker green.

From last night, Day 42 of flower-

IMG_20180711_005205.jpg

IMG_20180711_005228.jpg

IMG_20180711_005236.jpg

Lots of orange hairs showing up but still new white hairs growing out sooooo I guess she's doing okay depsite the lockout or whatever is going on..

IMG_20180711_005213.jpg

And from tonight, Day 43 of flower-

IMG_20180711_221857.jpg

IMG_20180711_221942.jpg

Definitely seems more pale than yesterday so I'm going to dial the lights back down a little bit. Still seeing new white hairs emerging which is a good sign, hopefully it stays that way-

IMG_20180711_222521.jpg

I've also been considering removing a small number of lower tops, like these ones... There's no harm in that, right, and will only divert energy to the larger tops? I basically want to go around the plant and remove anything more than about a foot below the top canopy.

IMG_20180711_222109.jpg

As always suggestions and tips are always welcome

• Like Like x 2
  8. Awsome plant man, looks like an iron deficiency or light bleaching...........this far into flowering tho shouldn't make much of a difference, unless it bleaches the buds........

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thank you, so far so good, the pale color hasn't gotten any wore since turning the lights down a bit.

Update for the last couple days-

Last night I ended up giving her a pretty generous trim job, removing most of the growth that was barely reaching the top half of the plant, hoping to divert more energy to the top colas. Here's what was removed-

IMG_20180712_231034.jpg

IMG_20180712_232058.jpg

Is there anything I can do with all the buds that were on any stems I removed? Are they too young to let dry out and smoke? I hate to just throw them away with the beautiful flowers that they have right now.

Here she is after the trim-

IMG_20180712_231045.jpg

IMG_20180712_231144.jpg

IMG_20180712_231128.jpg

And here she is from tonight, Day 44 of Flower-

IMG_20180714_011526.jpg

IMG_20180714_011552.jpg

IMG_20180714_011540.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. And the winner of the best first grow ever award goes to.......
    Fuckin smashin it mate!
    You shouldve got into this a long time ago man.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. #291 calikevin87, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Thank you! I wish I could have started a long time ago, but I'm also glad I waited to gather some knowledge and do research before jumping into it. I am really really hoping to go larger-scale, maybe even commercial sometime soon. If there's anything I'll be happy doing and passionate about, it's growing this beautiful plant. Just hoping whatever deficiency or lockout issue I'm having clears itself up. The pH didn't drop last night at all, maybe one point, it was at 6.1 which is the least I've seen it fluctuate in a long while.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah its an addictive hobby like. I started out 2 years ago with 250w and a square metre tent. I now have my whole attic floored and another grow at my mates which im getting back soon so will have 2100w pumping through my attic thatll smash out nearly a kilo a month.
    Gonna have to get a sparky round to hook me up with some more sockets before i burn my house down lol.
    Oh aye, deficiency, im sober just now so ill go have a look before i forget. Your nearly done anyway so wouldnt worry too much.

13. Hmm thats a wee thinker like.
    Burnt tips im sure is too much P.
    The red stems (if they havent always been there?) is lack of P.
    Yellowing could be lack of iron or N or both. Depending on if it started at the top, bottom or both.
    Hmm... nah i have to say im officially beat on that one mate.
    Its confusing the hell outa me lol.
    The roots ok yeah? No wierd gunk or anything?
    What ppm you putting in? Should be around 700ish about now imo as they stop feeding as heavily the last month or so.

14. Or did you see them burn so dropped the feed by a big chunk?
    Thatd make sense.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. @Spanish@rcher Roots look good, stems for the most part have always had some purple. Some of the burnt tips seem to have started towards the bottom of the plant, but it's also not all over the entire plant. I haven't been able to find a good iron supplement so I've never used one. As for the other deficiencies, shouldn't the Lucas formula more or less provide everything I should need?

Honestly, I was feeding at ~2000ppm from sprout, and never saw a burn like this until I tried dropping the ppm to under 1000.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soooooooooo...

Not sure what's going on exactly, but I was recently able to sample a bit of this Headband @calikevin87's growing...

Some nugs had to go, but they're too good looking to let go, he let them dry under a ceiling fan for a few days... And then we smoked a bit..

I know its not fully ready but, I knocked out for most of Saturday.. I woke up to use the bathroom and eat but I hardly even remember doing that too lol, I slept a lot.. That fresh nug refreshed me lol

17. #297 calikevin87, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Ooooookkaayyyyy you guys, big update since my last post, I think we are almost ready to harvest...??? Today marks day 64 of flower. I'd say around 60% of the hairs are turned orange, and I THINK the tricomes are cloudy but I do not have a microscope or magnifying glass good enough to see clearly. I do have a jewelers loupe and tried using that to take a few pics to see what you guys think. Here we go, first a few without the loupe-

Here's the whole girl-
    IMG_20180802_232730.jpg

One of the many tops struggling to stand up straight-
    IMG_20180802_232739.jpg

And here are the nugs (without loupe)!

IMG_20180802_232854_1.jpg

IMG_20180802_232937_1.jpg

IMG_20180802_232959_1.jpg

IMG_20180802_233021_1.jpg

IMG_20180802_233109_1.jpg

IMG_20180802_233120_1.jpg

IMG_20180802_233156_1.jpg

And here are a few with the loupe on my camera lens-

IMG_20180802_233820.jpg

IMG_20180802_234015.jpg

IMG_20180802_234033_1.jpg

As @Tammm mentioned, we smoked some of the buds that were taken off during some of the later trimming where I removed some stragglers, they definitely work even though they weren't completely cured properly. Dried under a cieling fan for almost a week until the stems snapped instead of bent, now some of is curing inside a glass jar... Here's some of that stuff-

IMG_20180803_012551.jpg

These are definitely some airy hairy nugs, but that was to be expected after taking them from the bottom half of the plant.

So what do you guys think?? Am I almost ready to flush and harvest? What should my next step be and when? @Spanish@rcher @Tbone Shuffle @Aquakush I'm excited for your thoughts!

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Yeah man shes lookin awesome
    Personally id say another 5-7 days then a week on flush. I try to push as much weight as possible. Wait untill the little calyx look like sugar puffs ready to explode before finishing them off.
    Has she stopped growing white hairs yet?

• Like Like x 1
  19. For the most part yes, I don't see as many new green hairs popping out as I have the past few weeks, maybe 2 or 3 per cola if that. I was thinking maybe a few more weeks before I went upstairs and took a closer look at her, I really think your estimate is closer though, it's coming along quicker than I thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeah 2 weeks tops id say. Fuckin belter of a plant though like. Bet you wont go back to growin in pots in a hurry now eh

• Funny Funny x 1