First Time DWC/Coco/LED Tent Grow - Hawaiian Headband

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by calikevin87, Apr 24, 2018.

1. #221 calikevin87, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Update for Day 58:

So my first attempt at some lollipopping since I'm switching to flower in two days. It may not look like much was taken off, and that's because I only removed leaves and not the smaller tops because I wasn't sure if I should or not. Essentially what I did was remove all leaves below the first two-three levels of leaves, so that all that is left on the majority of the tops is the top two levels of leaves. Also, remember that the plant is about 1.5 feet tall, so there's not much vertical distance between the bottom and the tops.

Here's the end result.

Left side-
    IMAG0924.jpg

Front-
    IMAG0925.jpg

Right side-
    IMAG0926.jpg

Rear-
    IMAG0927.jpg

Main top-
    IMAG0929.jpg

Inside the beast-
    IMAG0928.jpg

Here's what was removed-
    IMAG0930.jpg

Not a lot but it was much easier not having to be so selective about what to remove. If I ended up not removing as much as I should have, I will finish it up tomorrow. Right now it seems like airflow circulation was greatly improved.

Here's a shot from my wireless cam-
    Screenshot_20180529-021455.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Your definately onto a winner there mate .
    I leave most of the little shoots on and dont entirely lollipopnthe bottom. Pretty similar to how your doig it. The pathetic shoots come off but if you look at the one in my profile pic, even the shitty little ones hanging off the sides still produced pretty well.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  3. I would remove the tops from the interior of the bottom at least to open it up for air. Those ones near the base on those thick branches will never get enough light to make good buds. You don't have to take it too far but just removing the leaves is only half the job. You want some bare stems down at least near the base.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. It's going to be fun to watch that thing flower.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Kind of what I was thinking, I think I'll go back up and remove everything that doesn't look like it has any chance of reaching the top canopy, that should clear out a lot of little larfy tops. I'll still be keeping most of the mid size ones at least for now but yea, I can't wait for the switch. I'll probably be raising the lights up again soon as well.

6. If you leave them it ends up blocking good airflow from the underside of the canopy IMO. They'll get larger for sure if you leave them. They'll also sprout new leaves right in the inside of the plant where it's the darkest.

The point of removing them is to divert the grow energy they consume to parts of the plant in a better area to produce.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lower leaves yellowing are signs of nitrogen deficiency, the tops yellowing are signs of iron deficiency or light bleaching

8. So about 10 hours after I did the "lollipopping" and gave a foliar feed with a little FloraBlend, I've got some curling going on with some of the leaves. Do I do anything about it or let it be?

IMAG0932.jpg
    IMAG0935.jpg

9. Looks fine. The upcurling "taco" leaves are usually heat/light stress. You can raise your light up but most times my very upper leaves have some of that going on if you want your light close.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Update for day 59:

Took a cutting before I did more extensive lollipopping, my first attempt at a clone. I really like this plant and would love to be able to keep it around, so I cut off a smaller top from the lower level, stuck it right into some peat moss soaking in a nutrient solution, and put it into my stealth PC box. We'll see how she's doing in a day or two-
    IMAG0940.jpg

Annnnd here's big momma after a much more extensive lollipopping.

Left side-
    IMAG0941.jpg

Front-
    IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

Right side-
    IMAG0944.jpg

IMAG0945.jpg

Rear-
    IMAG0947.jpg

Main top-
    IMAG0948.jpg

I think it definitely looks much better, and there are definitely still some weaker tops that could be removed but I wanted to give them a chance to stretch for the lights before being removed. Look okay so far?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Looking way better!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. the clone looks like it's going to survive as well, it's starting to stand straight up and the leaves look pretty healthy.
    IMAG0949.jpg

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Day 60:

Switched the lights from 6/2 to 12/12 tonight. Still quite a few younger tops reaching for the upper canopy. Can't wait to see the crystals and flowers forming.

Left side-
    IMAG0951.jpg

IMAG0952.jpg

Front-
    IMAG0953.jpg

IMAG0954.jpg

Right side-
    IMAG0955.jpg

IMAG0956.jpg

Rear-
    IMAG0957.jpg

IMAG0958.jpg

Main top-
    IMAG0959.jpg

IMAG0960.jpg

IMAG0961.jpg

The clone looks fantastic so far too, doing great in my little PC box-
    IMAG0965.jpg

The only issue I may be having with the plant is some discoloration towards the tips of a few leaves and a whitish-yellow burn on a couple leaves, hopefully it's nothing serious-
    IMAG0963.jpg

IMAG0964.jpg

So what does everyone think so far, looking good? Anything I should be doing during this switch to flower?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Lookin awesome as always bud. You planning to keep training through the stretch or you just gonna let her do her thing?
    Not sure what the official consensus is on that. I tie them down again about a week into it but only cos my blurples wont penetrate. Makes trimming a fuckin nightmare but it works.
    Definately reckon you could pull a pounder here if it all goes well.
    Cant wait to see her in a couple weeks. This is the best bit of the grow for me. Seeing what shes gonna turn into. The difference these 2 weeks make is wicked :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Daaaamnnn, a pound, really?? I would absolutely love for that, I'd be set for half the year. As for training I hadn't really thought about, but was probably just going to leave all the paperclips where they are and let it just stretch for the lights now. If I let it get much wider my tent won't be big enough, so I'm going for vertical now. My tent is only 5'8 tall, the lights are 18" from the plant and I have maybe 3 more feet til I hit the top of the tent, but with the exhaust fan up there it's more like two feet.

17. If you fill the 3x3 before she grows vertical then its doable like. From my experience it takes about 500w at that size for a pounder. Sure youve got about that do you not? Checked the link to them on page one but couldnt see the wattage.

18. Total wattage is around 280W if I remember correctly, it's an HLG-320 but couldn't get it to output it's max. So I'm probably looking at closer to a half pound then unless I add some lighting... I've been considering getting 4 QB boards and putting them on the side walls of the tent, but I'd be well beyond my budget at that point

19. Ahh yeah probably actually but theyre pretty efficient lights so it is just about doable. Id definately be expecting a gram per watt from them as long as you fill the footprint of the light. Shes about the same size my auto was before bloom so youll do well like.

20. Well if my stoner math is correct I should be expecting about 280 grams or 10 ounces, which isn't much less and I'd still be pretty happy with. Considering I have some auto seeds coming thanks to the comparative grow, I should have a nice perpetual grow/harvest going this year.

• Like Like x 2