First Time Attempt, Looking For Some Advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dionysos803, May 29, 2014.

1. OK, I'm just about ready to get going for my first time. My setup is a 27"X27"x5'5" tent, with 2 240 full spectrum led grow lights. There is a 4" inline fan with a carbon filter attached. I intend on growing 1 plant inside this space at a time. What I'm looking for is advice on my planter situation. Since i have limited room going up (between lights and fan system that knocks off about 10 to 12 inches at the top), I want to use a 5g planter, but i'm afraid the space will not allow a traditional planter.

I'm curious, can I use a planter that is wider rather than deep?
    Should I place some type of top, with a cutout for the plant to grow through over the planter and line the outside with foil?
    Can I start my germinated seed right in this planter? I'd rather not transplant down the road.

2. You are running 2 lights but only 1 plant? 

3. ive never used led grow lights but i dont think you should need more then one?

4. #4 lFourTwenty, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    The way I read your post it said 2 240 LED full spectrum lights..so 2 240w LEDs? You aren't talking about CFLs right

Are you going to make 1 big scrogged plant?

5. Yeah, I only have enough room to do 1 plant. So i am going to do everything i can to get the absolute most i can from the 1 in that area. And yes it is LED not CFL. Go big and enjoy life!
    But back on track, does the plant need length in depth in the soil, or can it still do well with a little bit shorter but wider planter?
    Should I place some type of top, with a cutout for the plant to grow through over the planter and line the outside with foil?
    Can I start my germinated seed right in this planter? I'd rather not transplant down the road.

6. #6 lFourTwenty, May 29, 2014

What size pot are you using? I would go for a big pot like 7-10 gallons and make it one big scrog plant..start it in a solo cup or small pot then transplant..it's the best way and transplanting is very easy. Placing a foil thing isn't necessary it would get in the way

You definitely should look up the scrog technique and see if it's something you wanna try, especially if you are only doing 1 plant with that much light. Make it a monster plant with alot of tops, because that is alot of light for one plant and you should be able to harvest a good bit

7. #7 dionysos803, May 29, 2014
    LOL, sorry..yes I intend on growing in that style....Humm you say 7 to 10 gallon planter? in lets keep in mind I can build or construct just about anything to make this work. So I ultimately have a foot of room to take into account for the lights to the ceiling. A 7 gallon planter is only 1 cubic foot. Which leaves me with 3.5" total room between planter and lights, I need about 8" of space between the LEDs and the tops, So I need to make mass amounts off of 1 plant in basically 1 cubic yard.
    However, could you point me to some good advice on the SCROG method. I've seen a few videos, but want to have a better understanding of it.

8. #8 lFourTwenty, May 29, 2014

It's pretty easy to understand once you get it going..basically when the plant has a 4-5 nodes on it you will top/FIM (giving you more tops), let it grow and top/FIM again, you can top alot so you get alot of tops. Just train the branches in the direction that they are already growing, .when a shoot grows up through the screen just bend it over and keep it growing in the same direction using the screen, keep vegging until you get about 80% of the screen filled, then switch to 12/12 to start flowering. Just read as much as you can about it..it will all come back to you once you are actually growing. Whatever you run into you will already know the answer.

THC Bomb scrogged 20 days flowering

024.JPG

9. Damn! Nice grow! Thanks for the advice. About how high up do I place the mesh? And I bend the plant to keep running along the bottom of the mesh correct so that stems and buds grow up through that area?

10. @[member="lFourTwenty"] is right on the money. for your small space you will get the biggest harvest.

OP:The only thing id do different is sell the toy LED and put a 600 watt HPS/MH grow light.

Scrog is perfect for LED though.

the only growers who impress me with an LED are the kind of people who could kick ass with anything.

good luck.

When the top of the plant is about 2 feet from the soil is when I would add the screen and start training it..you would already have topped it a few times by then.

Here's a scrog example..you just want a bigger plant with more tops. The purpose of the scrog is to make the canopy even so all the tops get light, with that in mind it's simple.

13765.jpg

12. Perfect thank you so much for the advice.

Actually, I will be starting a second one about a month after I start the first one, in a 4X4 tent at a separate location. There I have access to better ventilation, and will be using a 600W HPS/MH setup for the first grow in that tent and expanding to 2 600W for the second and proceeding ones.

LOL already planning an expansion? LMAO

My woman was a bit funny when I hung the 3rd 1,000W LOL

When you get a few more lights and need to upgrade your house wiring to a power cable and extra breaker panel the there are a few of us who can give you good advice on doing it right and economically.

Beware growing is addictive. so is seed shopping and buying grow supplies. :D

14. Lol awesome! I can't wait till I get through my first grow! I'm so excited to have a hobby among my hobby!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app