First time 400w Hps set up/3rd GO

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mr.53kg, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Started with CFL's, then outdoor, now HPS. 400w, 3x3 tent, 4 clones, 3 strains. 10gl bucket pots, FFOF soil. Now what I haven't bought yet is a fan. I'm leaning towards the booster fans/inline duct fan? Any advice on wich one is more efficient and not so loud. My light fixture has 4in flanges. Could I run one fan to exhaust and have an oscillating fan inside? As of now with only one 8" inside and one 10" desk fan outside, my temps are 36/82 Thanks guys. Happy grow!

2. First night in tent, temps stayed at 40/77. Here's the girls

Attached Files:

3. Your temps are extremely high to merit using an inline fan. If you are able to pipe some cool air in occasionally, it will keep the temp in the high 70s which most people consider to be optimal. Most inline fans create a fair amount of noise and vibration, not to mention increase your energy expenditure. If you can avoid large exhaust fans and stick to small ones for air exchange, I would.

Unless piping out odor is a concern of yours. If that's the case, ignore everything I said and look into an inline fan or a squirrel cage model to pull your exhaust out. :)

4. Thank you for the feedback, I went to check out some fans and the hydroponic rep told me basically the same thing. Plus my lights are running 9pm/3pm for veg. All night the temps have been 41/77 withone of the passive air flaps open. Imma rig the fan and mount it in the 10" vent holes. That way my flaps can stay closed.

Sent from my PH44100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I'm not sure what got autocorrected in my post, but it was most likely supposed to say "Your temps AREN'T extremely high to merit blah blah blah". Sorry for the confusion.

6. I figured ;)

7. I bought a $30 240 CFM booster fan and I'm not gonna lie its louder then I thought it would be.. but its the only one I've ever had so maybe it's not loud in comparison.. I bought a fan speed controller for $20 but haven't used it yet cause the temps are still borderline high, I just turn it off at night about 20 minutes after the light goes off

I'm pulling air through my 6" cool tube, out the top of the tent and venting out of my closet.. keeps my temps between 76-82ish in southern california... not using a filter tho..

8. oh yeah thats with a 600W metal hallide running at 75% so 450W, close to your 400

9. Nice setup 53kg,

I will be following starting today. I attempted to grow under a Philips 250w flood blue spectrum light..... (I know bad idea). My plant showed life and died 2 weeks after. Since then i've been researching on CFL and HPS. I think im ready again so sometime this week i would like to start.

I received my Fem auto seeds from "the tude" today. (bought a good amount in case i fail)

I heard starting off with CFL during Veg stage is ideal and then switch to HPS 12/12. Have anyone heard of this before? If so, does it work? Does if affect the yield? (not a big concern)

I want to start off with CFL to assure i will not harm my babies because of the lack to radiating heat.(reason for last one dying) And within a few weeks ill throw them (3) under a 400w HPS, Good idea? 

Thanks you guys,

-Here are a couple of pics from my last attempt-
    First week after showing
    View attachment 1296801
    This is soon after about 2 1/2weeks View attachment 1296803
    View attachment 1296809

10. Last post didnt add my pictures, sorry new to this.. This is a skunk seed i picked up off a friend

425201_10151502269371656_1890748619_n.jpg 1079363_10151597028346656_558576545_n.jpg
    1082387_10151597028351656_743987378_n.jpg

11. With the 400 I don't need to cool the bulb thankfully, but I still picked up an oscillating fan, for $20. Are you running your lights at night?

12. To be honest I will not go back to CFLs. If you run a 400w MH bulb, you won't kill them at all, just keep the light at least a foot away from the girls. With good ventilation and you set.

13. Thanks for the comment. I had no idea a MH wouldnt kill them. I'll be doing a 400w MH grow now, I will be keeping tabs on this thread  :smoking:

Na but only because winter is coming, if it was summer I definitely would.. yeah if you keep a breeze between the canopy and the light you should be alright

you can use CFL you just want to use a cool white spectrum for veg, mine were 5000K 23watt bulbs from walmart when I used CFLs, super cheap but just makes you wanna get MH

16. Thanks, im going to keep it in mind. I just want to complete something that should have been done already

17. The MH will make a difference compare to the CFLs, If I HAD to use cfls then I would, but as of now I recommend using a 400w mh if you can.

"What would you do if you knew you cannot fail?"

18. Here's a quick update guys. Temps still between 41-45h and 73-79 degrees. Just added another oscillating fan, pics will be up soon. This is day 3 after transplanting from the clone pots. They are about 17days old from cuttings.

"What would you do if you knew you cannot fail?"

19. This is how we're looking guys, they've responded well to the transplant so far, a little droopy from thirst but tommorow they get some H2O and a small dose of root soaker, a fox farm line nute. Any root nute you guys recommend?

"What would you do if you knew you cannot fail?" - Confucius

Attached Files:

20. Ok guys, so I wanted to update this yesterday but had to clean up a bit and didn't have time, actually I forgot after I was done cleaning lol. It's the end of week one and they have been growing steadily. A bit of nute. burn on a few girls but not too drastic, ph will be balanced today, so far I haven't ph'd. I did however supercropped. Was it too early? Too late?Please let me know guys, thank you for all your input, Happy grow.

"What would you do if you knew you cannot fail?" - Confucius

Attached Files: