first thrips infestation

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Laucass83, Oct 18, 2022.

1. This is the first time I find myself with these tiny bastards. I brought a hot pepper plant from outside in my tent. I quarentined it before. It looked ok.. Looking closely with a jewelers lope, I found a few larvea and juveniles munching on botom leaves of my cannabis.
    I need to take care of the problem ASAP. This tent is a 4 plant grow. 2 plants seems affected. I don't care (well...) about chopping everything down, discarding all the soil, and spray all my equipement with bleach if I need to. I have 2 tents and I am almost sure my other tent is still untouched. Feels like I need to do everything possible to eradicate hem all..
    What would you advise?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. here are some pics of the most affected leaves and crop, to show you the state of the infestation.

I have on hands this Doctor Doom spider mites knockout. I used it outside for aphids before, but it burnt the plants to death.
    IMG_3026.JPG IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3030.JPG

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Spinosad will control them or even Dr.Bronners soap. Spray the entire plant top and bottoms of leaves and stems just before lights out. Re-apply every 3 days to break their life cycle. I'd suggest 5 applications to play it safe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You're ok as you are still in veg cycle. I've fought these guys plenty, here's how.
    I use Safer's EndAll Concentrated solution as a base. I make up the solution as directed but also add about a tablespoon of Neem Oil. This solution will provide potassium fatty acids (ie. insecticidal soap), some pyrethrin (an insecticide; its safe to use during veg), and I also add some Mosquito Bits (which provide some B.T israelis bacteria). I like to place the mosquito bits in a (reusable) tea bag and let it soak in the feeding solution overnight. I spray the Safers/Neem on the plant just before the lights go out. You need to repeat this about every four days for a couple weeks, because the thrips lay their eggs inside the plant, so you need to kill their larva when they hatch and before they lay eggs again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The elephant in the room wonders why you would bring any outside plant inside you tent? just dont do it again pests are the enemy i suggest some organic spray with all the oils good luck the plants look nice otherwise

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks everyone for helping! Plants are in early bloom has light where switched 10 days ago, and pre-flowers are here. This is a run wih free seeds: 2 BF Critical Kush, and 2 ACE PCKxKC.
    I am very surprised that no body suggests to scrap everything. Plants are in the dark atm, I'll go to work and think about the outcome during the day. Cheere!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ill be bringing mine in on Sept 22nd from now on, and let them finish for a month inside . I started doing it for the crazy wet weather ,pm,bud rot, plus, they got too big ,7-8 ft tall.
    Gonna be a good Halloween , I got my candy! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have the one Raspberry cough mother I brought in last night. We'll have near freezing night time temps tonight. I checked her out with my digital microscope and she looks good. I did keep up on her IPM outdoors. I'm not worried about things. I purchase houseplants occasionally and they pose a much higher risk of having insects on them than my plants do.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I got 2 ww hanging and this one's next, think it's ready ?
    KIMG7412.JPG

IPC_2022-10-14.19.08.45.1820.jpg

IPC_2022-10-14.19.08.56.4069.jpg

IPC_2022-03-02.20.25.22.9030.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Back from work, my mind was set, infested plants just got chopped.
    Thrips seemed like a never winning fight when talking to other growers. More ressources and time to battle them than it took to grow these 4 small plants, from free seeds.
    Since I've been growing I had the luxury to be pest free. I am always learning and I am ready to pay the cost right now, and move on.
    My priority is in the tent just beside, 2 huge wild Thai that are entering mid-flowering.
    IMG_3031.JPG IMG_3032.JPG IMG_3025.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  11. I’m doing the same thing with fukin spider mites. I bought a dwarf cherry tomato plant. Inspected for bugs, sprayed with Mercanary (essential oil based) and isolated for a week. Then Dunked the entire plant in Spinosad, twice, three days apart. Lil fuckers bloomed two months later. This is week five of IPM, alternating the treatment types (Mercenary + Neem Oil/ Spinosad/ alcohol + vinegar + soap). Mites are all gone from the tomato but jumped to another plant, so basically starting over with IPM. When I get spider mites on outside plants, they are easier to kill, go figure…..

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I would not have killed those plants. I find thrips the easiest of all pests to control. As for spider mites peppermint essential oil as part of your IMP rotation will keep them at bay. IPM is important during your entire grow. It will help minimize most issues.
    Practice Integrated Pest Management (IPM).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Im with ya. I worry way more about anything that comes from a nursery than anything I grow and bring in the house.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. You killed her over thrips?
    They are one of the easiest to manage, and the ones that do the least damage IMO. I don’t really even try to manage them, the same protocol for all the other nasties keep them down to a dull roar. All you lose at harvest is some fan leaves.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. If bugs were that big a deal nobody would be able to grow outside ;)

I see you already chopped them... oh well. Next time get some cucumeris from your local nursery. They'll eat the thrips. they're a predatory mite that loves em. I get them in little 'tea bags' for $2 each, you hang on the plant and they gradually climb out and make their way over the whole plant. Do a plain water dunk/rinse when you harvest and they'll all wash off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Guys, I am happy with the removal of those plants! Yesterday, I've put seeds from just arrived order to germinate, and I am already excited about the future.
    My grow are water only, opening the tents every 2-3 days, giving them tap water and that's it that's all, no trouble no worries no issues.
    Like I said, I was pest free, and chopping 4 small plants from free seeds, does not really bother me if I can stay pests free. I know growers who have been stock with thrips for more than a year. Last thing I want is having to *control* an infestation.
    For some strange reasons, we have very little nurseries around Montreal, Canada. Traveling by bus would take me half a day to do the travel. But thanks for the suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
  17. IPM mean Integrated Pest MANAGEMENT.
    I wish it was IPE.
    Integrated Pest Eradication ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2