First stealth grow

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Cyclops-hammer, Aug 12, 2016.

1. So ive just recently got in to the whole cultivation thing and decided to give it a try, but it being my first time i feel i need some help.
    I started with this 25-3/4"L x 19"W x 35-3/4"H cabinet (Sterilite 2-Shelf Storage Cabinet - Walmart.com) and added some aluminum foil and lights. [​IMG]
    Then i added a 6" inline dict fan to the top and a vent to the bottom.[​IMG][​IMG]
    Ive got a 50 watt l.e.d., this grow light (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0119CTE2C/ref=oh_aui_i_d_rec_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and a blue l.e.d ill switch to red when flowering.
    Once my plants start to grow up i will be adding a carbon scrubber to my fan.
    I guess what im looking for is some advice and knowledge to help make my grow better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. hi.
    Your set up looks good. I think when you add a filter though you wil need a more powerful fan. The carbon filter will restrict the airflow and the booster fan won't be able to keep up with the heat.

Those lights might work ok to start a few seeds...you will definitely need more light though once they get more then a few inches high. With an area that size you'll probably need around 150-200 watts. Maybe you could throw a cheap led panel in there?
    What is your 50w light...you linked a 9w? Is it 50w real watts or equivalent? Always go by the real wattage (it will say on the bulb)

make sure to use some quality soil from the start, that's super important.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The 50 watt is an led. The 9w i linked is suplimentry. I am going to get another 50 or 100 watt led to go with it. Will it really slow it down that much? Even if i just do a pencil holder filter?

4. The pencil holder style filters work great, but it would slow down the airflow quite a bit and probably only be able to cool 50-75w or so at most. So either a much larger filter, stronger fan, or multiple small filters. It's probably best to just get a 4" fan/filter combo online...hopefully something adjustable.

Not too sure on soil from those places. Don't get any kind of soil with time release ferts like miraclegrow or soil designed for flowers with lots of bark in it cuz it will be too acidic. Check out the organics section here and see what kinda things you can find locally. I think I saw little bags of earthworm castings in an isle at walmart the other day(in the garden area). That would be a great start with maybe some perlite (not MG perlite, it has extra nutes in it) and maybe mix in some coco or peat to lighten it up. I'm sure you'll find alot better info in the organics area of the forums...I'm no expert.

5. Also is it that important? Ill have a fan inside and its just a cabinet. Itll get air when i open it right?

6. those style fans are pretty weak. They're more meant to boost a larger fan in a ducting system. Try to base your fan size off of how much wattage you need to cool (there's a chart on the first page of my thread about cfm vs. wattage). Even a very small 20w growbox still needs airflow to exhaust both heat and to get the plants fresh air and reduce humidity. You'd be hard pressed to find a successful grow around here that doesn't have any significant airflow.

You can get away with a weak fan on a small grow...I just don't want you to run into problems later....like in the middle of flowering. I wouldn't add an intake fan..just leave the intake nice and open...most people run without an intake fan. Generally if someone wants to add an intake fan it's because they're exhaust fan isn't strong enough. A single strong exhaust fan should run the whole cabinet.

7. Hey just wondering how the cab turned out? I'm interested in starting this same size grow myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Ill keep this thread updated. Im currently still in germination phase, but it seems pretty steady. Temps are fine and everything.

9. could you post another finished pic of your grow cab.
    im currently getting all the supplies together.
    do you think in the size cab. that a single 24w led grow light will be enough?

10. Ill post more pics when i get home. I would think for one plant it cooould be enough.

11. i was thinking of having two plants what lighting do you think would be best...i am working on a smaller budget hence the sigular led light

12. For the money i would go cfl, but they are harder to find now. Like a bongsauce said you need more watts. Its just not enough

13. So possibly 2-3 of those o will be using a bathroom 3 light fixture

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Yeah, and with l.e.ds ive learned they run cold so they wont provide your heat. You may need to think about warming your grow box if using only l.e.d.s

15. ok so on a semi low budget and keeping electric cost in mind what lights should i use to grow 2 plants

16. I use l.e.d it may be a little more upfront but the electricity cost will be lower

17. ok what wattage and how many? also as i will be doing my first grow ever will i be able to use these lights thru the entire process

18. I honestly have no clue this is my forst grow, but i believe l.e.ds give of red and blue so can be used for both.