First sprout

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Deleted member 1006459, May 10, 2019.

1. So first time growing very low end setup but I just want to see what happens with the $50 setup for my seedlings. One sprouted but it's bent over. Is this how they sprout or is my light too close? It's a t5 light made specifically for seedlings and clones. I actually have the light box under the seedlings so it would be closer to the light. The picture was before I actually put the box underneath. IMG_20190510_134624.jpg IMG_20190509_175341.jpg IMG_20190509_201417.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yup, that's normal for the seedling to raise up like that.
    Might wan to add some perlite to the promix when you transplant them later on.
    And yes, I still use T5s for seedlings; works great.
    *edit: and if you plan on using promix for the entire grow, I suggest adding about a tablespoon / gallon (of Promix) of Dolomite (time released) lime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks for the response. I guess I was just being impatient because I just checked now and it has straightened up. Had just bought the promix because it said it was for starting seedlings. Anything I could buy from the store that I could use for later on that I wouldn't have to add anything into it? Or could I continue using this mix even though it says for seedlings.

4. Mostly growers always add perlite and dolomite to promix, not all do. It depends on how long you use it, as it becomes acidic later on, but promix with perlite is good. Lots of perlite I would add so to increase flow through, and then feed it each day. When using promix (or coco) I start in small containers and let the roots ball up; if u start too large a container, then it takes longer for the root ball to form and then longer veg times. The dolomite like is Ca/Mg salts that help bring the pH up; later in the game its important, but at first it can be a pain when feeding. I normally try to maintain a pH of 5-9-6.2 in peat; that doesn't mean feed it that pH; you will need to collect runoff and determine from there, but feeding solution/water at 6.0 is a good start; feed to ~30% runoff (later, not when its young, just a lil water) when its larger to clear away residual salts.

I'm not an organic/dirt farmer, and mostly soiless/hydro, but lately I been wondering about that lol.

5. Thanks man appreciate the feedback.