First solo cup newbie grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Blair Project, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Hi there,
    I am a complete newbie to growing. Its something I've become very excited about and want to be able to do. It isn't as easy as I thought it would be, that's for sure. Anyways. I am attempting a solo cup grow. I have a very small space to be able to do this but since I've been reading up on Micro grows I'm stoked to know it can be done.
    My space I made is in a night stand actually and I converted it into a mini grow spot.
    I just picked up an LED light set. It's called a Tathl dual head LED light set up. It's nothing fancy but reviews on this little set up were good but I'm not so sure about it. It's a cheap lighting system. If anyone can give me any advice please chime in. Please I need some direction on this.

Attached Files:

2. Looking good. But remember to ph & not over water. What soil you using?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Hi
    The roots systems on my plants can fill a 5 gallon bucket in 45 days …………...
    What is the big deal about making your plants grow in a solo cup ?
    I want to grow my plants in what they will like the most ...
    Your expecting a plant to produce in a accelerated time rate and restricting the plants roots to grow in a normal amount of space .
    Sorry to me it seems like your making a problem by using solo cups .
    You cant grow three plants that close where the solo cups will be touching so why not use a bigger container ?
    Like a grow bag !

You need 48 actual watts per square foot minimum of the cheap led lighting .
    what ever wattage you light says it is , it is not it half to one third of advertised wattage .

Best of luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 GoldGrower, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Hi mate, growing in a cup is a challenge even for a seasoned grower, why on earth are you attempting this on your first go?
    I think you will have enough problems to overcome without having to deal with the restricted root space that a cup will cause.
    Make it easy on yourself and get a proper pot

That light is the kind of thing you put over a house plant through winter to keep it healthy, it won't grow you any bud. What can you afford to spend on a set up? And what country are you in? I can recommend some equipment if you want, starting off doesn't have to be expensive but there is no point spending 4 months growing a plant and getting 2 grams of low quality bud at the end, so it's worth buying equipment that works.

In my opinion everything you need to grow can be bought on the cheap except for your light, exhaust fan, and carbon filter

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thank you for the advice. Honestly I didn't realize growing out of a solo cup is more advanced. I can spend probably about $100 on a light. Im in the United States and the reason I picked solo cups is because I have a small space to work with. What kind of light would you recommend for me to get.

6. The reason I picked a cup is because of the small space I'm working with. Any recommendations with the small space I have?

7. I'm using Peat moss

8. how big of space are you growing in ?

9. The biggest I can make my space is 3'5'

10. I need the measurements so I can figure out square footage

11. The bigger the pot, the more stable things are so you don't have to get everything so exact. Nutrient concentration and watering times are the two most common problems beginners have.

Mars TS 1000 Quantum Board Led Grow Light - Mars Hydro for sale,buy Mars TS 1000 Quantum Board Led Grow Light - Mars Hydro - Mars Hydro
    This light is $130, if you can stretch to this it'll be worth it.

If you're ok doing some simple wiring there is another option that will be a little cheaper. But it involves ordering from China so it could take a few weeks

Is that 3'x5' floor space? The light I linked you to won't cover all that area. It's more suited to a 2.5'x2.5' area. But that light could give you 5 or 6 ounces so you may not need all that space anyway. Maybe even more if you don't make too many big mistakes

12. If your grow space is actually 3 ft by 5 foot that equals 15 square feet times 48 actual watts minimum using the Mars LED lights
    15 square feet times 48 equals 720 actual watts needed and that is the minimum amount of wattage required .

I have two 4x8 tents in operation which requires 896 watts minimum using Samsung and Cree/Cob quantum boards .
    I also mix in some of the first led lights I bought .
    Both tents I am running anywhere from 1200 to 1400 actual watts .
    In one tent I have 2200,00 dollars in LED lighting .
    But if you don't have lighting you will not get decent buds .
    If you don't buy the right lights right out of the gate you are going to be throwing some of your money away ,

Samsung Quantum boards are twice to 3 times more efficient then all other LED lighting .
    At a certain point the power bill has to be considered into your grow cost , which makes it tough to buy less efficient led grow lights .

In Lighting the lights that make the least amount of heat is the most efficient lighting ..
    In other words these lights force you into having better ventilation .

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. I would recomend a ph pen & root stim if your looking for good quality. If its your first time then u need the nutes and the enviroment to go with it.. its not just about the light, environment plays a big part!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

14. That's not true at all. I have a Mars SP-250 (250 watts) over 10 square feet and it gave me 14 ounces on both of the grows I have completed with it. That's just 25w/ft

Samsung lm301b are the most efficient diodes available at the moment but 2-3 times more efficient than "all" other LEDs is simply untrue

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1

15. Thanks for the red ..
    No Samsung clearly states that they're leds are at least twice as efficient as the leading Led grow lights '

16. 3 feet by 5 feet and the height is 9 feet

17. As far as lighting goes. If I chose a 300 watt light would that produce something decent?

18. Two of these and you will need to buy power suppliers and fans ..
    These are about the best bang for the buck .
    they have a great color spectrum .
    but your looking at 320.00 to 340.00 bucks to put two together .

If you decide to buy these lights I can help you make sure you got all the right supplies .
    Good luck

19. Well then they clearly lied. But I very much doubt they stated that anyway since Samsung lm301b diodes aren't even intended for plants in the first place. Lm301b produce 220lm/w and the Epistar diodes that are in the Mars SP & TS range produce 170lm/w. Nowhere near your stated 2 to 3 times.

LEDs vary a lot and many manufacturers state 300w when they actually use much less. But if you got a decent LED that actually uses 300 watts then yeah you could get a pound from that theoretically. But no way will you get one within your $100 budget