First Set Of Babies

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by sircoughalot, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Just got done throwing this together. I'm gonna trim it tomorrow, add the lights, hook up the power supply, make a front cover for it, throw the babies in it lol

With the starters, I'm testing three kinds. Jiffy peat pellets, a seed starting medium mixed with soil, and a organic tree bark compost thingy.

Box is:
    H 23"
    L 28.25"
    W 16"

Attached Files:

2. What type of reflective material did you use?

3. Some cheap mylar from the local pet store.

4. Looking good bro, whats the strain? or is it just bagseed?

5. Thanks bro. Just some bag seed. The bud was pretty good. smelled like caramel lol. Here are some updated pics of it now in my closet. 5* 100w CFL 5000k soon to add one more. 2* Exhaust fans 2* Intake fans 1* fan inside for circulation [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nice little setup u got there im planning a first grow and this looks exactly what im gonna be aiming for, are u planning on using this box for the whole growing process? If so how much yield do u think is possible? Again grow box looks great.

7. Thanks bro. Yea I'm gonna let em grow out in that set up. Gonna aim for a Scrog grow. Temps were around 81 F today. They seem to be staying around there now too. Gonna have to do something about that tomorrow. I've had enough of it today lol.

Also I'm not sure about the yield. This is my first grow and have only been learning for the past couple of months from these forums and a book my father gave me, The Cannabis Grow Bible

8. I got a plant LSTed in a three-gallon pot that total height, with pot, is less than 20 inches high (it was my first grow, so while I have tons of headroom left, I over-anticipated the stretch). She grows taller, I pull her out farther allowing the lower buds to get more light. Canopy wise, she's about 15" square inches (you saw the pics in my grow journal) and I expect to get at least an ounce dry... I don't imagine an ounce and a quarter is too far fetched either (I do flower with an hps though).

If you could mount your bulbs sideways, you could easily fit two of those LST'ed plants in your box. You could get smaller powerstrips and mount them on the sidewalls and have the bulbs run parallel to the top lengthwise...

What nutes are you using?

Definitely interested in the various mediums you are using... Can't wait to see how they grow!!!

9. Yeah man you have about the same exsperience as me. I've seen alot of poeple use chicken wire for there SCROG setup pretty cool IMO. Good luck man and i'll be watching your grow to get ideas for my grow. Cant wait to see ur bud shots:smoking:...

10. Right now I'm not using any nutes. I had some Miracle Grow nutes for the tobacco and basil but I was told that Miracle Grow is a no no lol so gonna get some new nutes this weekend.

I was wondering if a section of chain link fence would work ok for the screen? Any ideas?

Also I had a major issue this morning. Woke up, kinda late actually, and checked my babies. The temp was at 92 F :eek: and two of the middle plants were knocked over. Now I've smoked two fat ass bowls of some trainwreck trying to figure out how the hell they fell over, makes no sense.

But I added a bigger fan in there for more circulation but I just cant seem to get the temp down under 84 F. Any ideas what I could do to help? My room is around 78 F and closet door is open.

11. Regarding a Chain Link fence for your screen... The openings might be a bit big, especially since you'll be needing to really keep those tops down. I've seen other people use those drain-screen things you put in the sink... something like this...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Chrome-Twin-Sink-Dish/dp/B00182R6Z6]Amazon.com: Rubbermaid Chrome Twin Sink Dish Rack: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

If your room is 78, then it's going to be hard to keep the temps down, especially in such a tight space (the same issues I've been having). To help with this I started running my lights at night (for flower... couldn't do anything for veg). I noticed your fans are all on the same side, pretty close together. Perhaps the intake fans aren't getting as cool of air as they should, assuming the exhaust fans are right above? Maybe?

You could also trying to fit a piece of glass in there, creating a shelf between the lights and the plants. It'll keep the plant area cooler, and since you already have the fans in there, the exahust would pull out all the hot air trapped by the lights. Basically you'd be using your box to create a cooltube. I think this may actually be my next step to keeping my temps cool.

12. #12 sircoughalot, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
    Yea that was the only thing I was doubting about the fence, it being too big of openings. Those sink things look like a good idea. Maybe something like that but the big ones that you use to set cookies on after they come out of the oven ya know?

The two fans on the left are the exhaust and the two on the right are intake. There is only about six inches from the back of the box to the wall in my closet. I was thinking that if I put a divider on the outside of the box in between the two sets of fans that it will help not to suck back in the hot air it's pushing out? I'm gonna try to find a piece of glass that will fit in there snug. Thanks for the ideas man.

EDIT* was wondering if too much wind/breeze/air blown from a fan, lolol, could be harmful to my babies?

13. Before that separating piece of wood, try switching the fans up. Have all the exhaust fans on the top openings (since hot air rises anyway, putting the fans at the top will help pull out hot, rising air). Then have all the intake fans on the bottom, where they can pull in air from the outside that's the coolest. When you put any exhaust fans on the bottom, you are basically pulling out the coldest air in the tent. Try switching up those fans and see how that goes... It should help at least a tiny bit. That way if/when you get a piece of glass in there, it will trap (even more so) the hot air up top where those exhaust fans will be pulling nothing but hot air. Also, have your strongest fans working the exhaust. OR... You could also just tip the thing on it's side so that the exhaust fans are on top. This would give you more headroom too.

I have heat issues when I run a bunch of CFLs as well, and was wondering if maybe one big CFL would actually be hotter, or cooler... Like, what would be hotter... Four 25 watt CFLs, or a single 100 watt CFL.

I've been told that too much direct wind can stress the plants a bit... The leaves should slightly wiggle when looking close, but don't need anything more than that... I'm sure if you faced your fan against the side of the cabinet it would be perfect. BUT, I've also heard that wind on them makes them stronger... Like working out kind of. So, who knows?!?!?!

14. It def seems to be a tightrope act with MJ in certain areas... I was also curious about the same thing as far as 4 25watters opposed to 1 100 watter... I'd like to cut down on the sheer number of bulbs in my cab lmao...

15. I've been able to keep temps down a few degrees by putting a fan on top of the box aiming down behind it towards the intake fans. Tomorrow I'm gonna go to home depot and get some dryer duct for the exhaust fans. I figure I'm gonna need that when I start flowing and it will probably help temps out alot IMO.Have them running straight up and out of the roof. I'll tie in anoter fan from above the box for my tobacco and basil. That will help make it look like the duct is there just for tobacco. More stealth so to speak.

GroBoston; you still mean CFL right? Like use a 100 actual watt bulb instead of a 25w energy efficient one that equals 100w? something like that?

16. Yeah Im talkin CFL... yeah 1x 100w [actual] opposed to 4x 26w [actual]... as far as heat goes that is... would the single bulb generate less heat even though its the same wattage? [4w less]

17. Hmmm good question lol. I need to grab a couple more lights tomorrow anyway so I'll try to find a 100 actual watt CFL and when I get home I'll set it up in the same setup as one of the 26w bulbs and do a little heat test.

18. That would be awesome Id love to know your results... 2x 100w CFLs would be alot easier to manage than 8x 26w CFLs lmao

19. Very true. I didn't know there was a difference in the 26 actual watt and the 100 actual w. Cause I thought that the 26w bulb was only using 26watts of electricity but producing 100watts of light and spectrum? If that makes any sense, lol I'm a bit rocked.

20. Yeah, its as bright as a 100w incandescent but only uses 26 actual watts... but since only actual watts apply to us growers thats what we need to go by...