First real grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bruins142, Sep 5, 2013.

1. I am about to get roughly $500 from my paycheck but can't spend all of it

I want to start up a decent grow and i need to find a good place to buy seeds and the strain i should get. I have insomnia so i would like a good Indica but if i could do more then one plant i would like a strong sativa as well..

Where should i pick up my seeds?

Also i want to spend no more then $150 for lights nutes and ext preferably if i could get them all of one site like Amazon or something. Any links would be great i want to stay away from a CFL grow but if i have to i will...

2. #2 QuadSportz06, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
    [quote name="Bruins142" post="18632376" timestamp="1378412645"]I am about to get roughly $500 from my paycheck but can't spend all of itI want to start up a decent grow and i need to find a good place to buy seeds and the strain i should get. I have insomnia so i would like a good Indica but if i could do more then one plant i would like a strong sativa as well..Where should i pick up my seeds?Also i want to spend no more then $150 for lights nutes and ext preferably if i could get them all of one site like Amazon or something. Any links would be great i want to stay away from a CFL grow but if i have to i will...[/quote]Use bagseeds man. My plants are pretty much hybrids from bags.. I popped 12 beans and kept 5, and 4 were female. Don't waste your money on fancy feminized autoflowers and all that jazz.If its your first grow you will be more less performing a science experiment. Trust me, ive seen me do it. Make sure you LST and top, or you'll have bean poles like me lolBuy your nutes by the OZ on eBay. Very cost effective. No need to buy a gallon jug when you might use less than a quart of itRemember, you are what you smokeSimple minds grow kindsSent from my LGL86C

3. #3 Bruins142, Sep 5, 2013
    Yeah i plan to pretty much not go to hard for this because it is my first and i know things will go wrong.

This is my Amazon cart right now i know there is more that i need and there will be lower prices but best i got right now

[​IMG]
    Also where did you get your bag seeds?

4. #4 QuadSportz06, Sep 5, 2013
    Got my seeds from my bags of dank over the past 14-16 months, some dank is primo but sometimes has a seed or two in it...You could use mids seeds, its all in how you grow and harvest/process them. I would try to have at least 8-10 germinated so you'll be sure to produce 30-50% femalesAlmost $50 for the fox farms is sickening dude! Use eBay! I got my ff tiger bloom that I speculate I'll need for $8.00 and my quart of fish fertilizer was like under $10 at Lowes. All I've bought. Under $20 and that's all the nutes I'm using.. Growing outdoors. Not sure on what bulbs you need but I'd say your on the right track.FFOF is wonderful stuff. And using a "program" of nutes is a good way to keep it simpleI again stress to check eBay for all of your stuff your wanting. Also, you could hock off some random items you have around the house that you could re-up your cash flow with. It's a cycle for me, I sell stuff and use the money to buy things i need wehter it be from eBay or using my PayPal card at the storeSent from my LGL86C

5. Here's my immediate thoughts and comments.

Don't get the 5500k bulbs, they're not ideal at all, more for photography and stuff, get a 6400k bulb if you're going for 'daylight' veg lights.  The other type you might want is 2700k "warm white" bulbs that are preferred for flowering.

If you're using CFL lights, you want to have at least 100 watts of actual power, not equivalent power, i.e. if you got only those 30-watt "125w equivalent" bulbs, you want 3-4 of them because they are only 30 watts.  If you grow two plants, you can get away with 150ish watts because they will share it, but generally speaking more is always better.  If you have two different kinds of light, you can mix them up no worries.

If you're buying a bunch of bulbs, remember that you need things to plug them in to - light sockets and power sockets.  You can get some nice little adapters that basically plug bulbs right into a 4-way multi socket, people just use that as their light fitting sometimes.

If you want to stay away from CFLs, you could get a 150-watt HPS, there are some around.  Or something stronger.  Or a couple of 125-watt CFL growbulbs (actually 125watt, again not like the ones you have in your basket that are only 30w)

Bagseed is fine, but you don't necessarily know what you're going to get.  Just because the weed you smoked was good, doesn't mean the seeds you found in it will be good.  Also you need to germinate a bunch, because some won't grow well, and some will be males.  Some websites allow you to buy individual seeds, you don't need something fancy but you could choose an indica strain that's feminized, then you know what you're getting, for a few dollars.

Although people love foxfarm, you can probably get cheaper, especially the soil, if you're adding nutes anyway I don't really see the need to have some expensive soil mix when you can pick up a massive bag of compost and some perlite at the garden centre for probably less than 15 bucks.  That's $20 you could spend on more light bulbs and a small fan.

If it makes any different, you don't need nutes for a soil grow until a few weeks in at least.  You could wait until your next paycheck to buy those.  A lot of new growers try to put loads of nutrients on their seedlings and consequently kill them.  Don't make this mistake!

Try eBay.  Use Amazon to find things you want, and then check out eBay for a better price or alternatives.  If you've got a local hydro store or even a garden centre, check out their stock too, they might have what you want on sale, and of not you can always order it online when you get home anyway.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  6. [​IMG]

Lights are confusing when you don't have them in your hands...

7. Another thing to look into is once your flowering you could possibly clone and start another regime of growing, and they'll be females for sure. That's a whole ball game I don't know anything about. I'm a low budget outdoor guerilla grower that is highly educated from GC

Sent from my LGL86C

8. I think i am going to have to make a trip to a hydro store for my lights...

9. If you go into a store, get someone to give you some advice then make sure you ask them about a discount!

10. What should i say im growing....? 

11. Er, you love peppers and chillies, and you want to grow your own super special ones?  Or you live in an apartment but you want to grow your own organic carrots and tomatoes and stuff in the spare room?  Whatever man, they just want to make a sale!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dang that FF soil is some expensive dirt!! The Black Gold organic soil i use is basically the same product, same size bag, and it cost only $4!!!!! Go to a mom n pop type farn/garden center and shop around. Get your bulbs at Ace or TruValu hardware or whatever you have similar in your area. Shop around, find cheaper prices, support your local bussinessess not just some no face internet site. You can do it much cheaper, faster, and easier.
    Best of luck to you on your grow ;)

13. #13 tk86high, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
    If the seeds u r using was found in some kush that u got then it should be 100% female not male . If ur conditions are perfect for growing it will be a female , every seed ive ever used from a kush bud turned out to be female , actually ive not bought seeds in over a year as any seeds i find in my buds from previous grows i just plant and they always turn out female !
    But like i said good growing conditions are what usually makes the plant a male or female . (high temps , odd flowering hours , light leaks during the flowering period) if u baby ur plant during its switch to flowering give it 2-3 days of complete darkness when u switch to flowering and make sure temps r low light is strong enough low humidity complete darkness during its down time ,  ur success rate will be at 99.9% female . with the 15-20 ive tried all have been females so with me its been 100% rate !

14. Okay i didnt read this before i posted my above statement  now it makes sense to me, that rule only applies to indoor growers that use a controlled area , meaning no way of pollination , in ur case there is a chance for pollination to become a male because well its outside need i say more :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. Monday i am going shopping :)

let us know, keep us informed

17. I might head over to home depot and build myself a box

• Like Like x 1