First Real Grow, Feedback Please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Michael J Fox, May 25, 2013.

1. #1 Michael J Fox, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
    Planted on May 15.

First pic is the setup from the outside. Second showing lights. Third all 3 plants. Fourth same. Fifth and sixth are my favorite lil sprout. Got that seed from some dank ass purple nugs I had lol. Seventh pic is the one I'm most concerned about. A little bit of yellowing there.. I just now moved my lights around so it's better, my setup before was so much more ghetto than this, it was horrible.

So tell me.. How bad am I doing, haha.

Right now is in dollar Walmart soil. Planning to transplant into 5 gallon buckets after they show sex with Miracle Grow Organic and perlite and some Walmart dollar soil so it's not too hot. I know, I know.. But the nearest store that sells fox farm is 25 miles away and I couldn't afford it if I could get there. Got 10 dollars to my name right now and I gotta eat! Lol

I think total watts is about 120. Planning on getting some more as soon as I can afford them.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Reverb using Grasscity Forum App

Attached Files:

2. Here's how they started so I'd say I've improved a little lol

Attached Files:

Miracle gro, perlite, and walmart soil, right? That's about $15-$20.

Miracle gro organic choice potting mix is not the same as the kind that "feeds for 6 months" and you will eventually need to add nutrients. In fact, the Organic Choice lineup (bone, blood, soil, perlite) are meant to be used in conjunction with each other. It's the company's way of offering an alternative to gardeners who want to customize the amount of nutrients in their soil, instead of using the pre-nuted all-in-one soil that you can't really adjust. So, that bag of soil is just a base, and will only get you through a few weeks (regardless of what the company claims)

You will be much better off mixing your own soil from scratch than using the organic choice lineup (or any other store-bought soil) My feedback is this, go to home depot and get a $10 bale of peat, a $3 bag of composted cow manure, 22 quart bag of perlite (5 gal) and a small bag of organic fertilizer (espoma, dr earths, organic traditions are good brands) ... maybe $20-$25 total and it will cover all your nutrients for the entire grow. You'll also have enough peat and fertilizer leftover so that next time you only have to buy the perlite and manure. It's the cheapest way to get the most bang for your buck, most store bought soils (especially the cheap ones) are completely inadequate for growing mj.

There's a lot more you can add to your soil, but that's the minimum you'd need for a successful harvest IMO. Here's my soil mix if you want to check it out http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1187429-1200w-4x8-og-royal-kush-250w-scrog-pe.html?p=17723397

Cheers!! :bongin:

4. Miracle gro, perlite, and walmart soil, right? That's about $15-$20.

Miracle gro organic choice potting mix is not the same as the kind that "feeds for 6 months" and you will eventually need to add nutrients. In fact, the Organic Choice lineup (bone, blood, soil, perlite) are meant to be used in conjunction with each other. It's the company's way of offering an alternative to gardeners who want to customize the amount of nutrients in their soil, instead of using the pre-nuted all-in-one soil that you can't really adjust. So, that bag of soil is just a base, and will only get you through a few weeks (regardless of what the company claims)

You will be much better off mixing your own soil from scratch than using the organic choice lineup (or any other store-bought soil) My feedback is this, go to home depot and get a $10 bale of peat, a $3 bag of composted cow manure, 22 quart bag of perlite (5 gal) and a small bag of organic fertilizer (espoma, dr earths, organic traditions are good brands) ... maybe $20-$25 total and it will cover all your nutrients for the entire grow. You'll also have enough peat and fertilizer leftover so that next time you only have to buy the perlite and manure. It's the cheapest way to get the most bang for your buck, most store bought soils (especially the cheap ones) are completely inadequate for growing mj.

There's a lot more you can add to your soil, but that's the minimum you'd need for a successful harvest IMO. Here's my soil mix if you want to check it out http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1187429-1200w-4x8-og-royal-kush-250w-scrog-pe.html?p=17723397

Cheers!! :bongin:
    </blockquote>
    It was about $8 total.

I'll try and save up some money and get a better soil mix. I was also planning on already either buying a manure based fertilizer I saw at Walmart (2-2-2 I believe) or some chickety doo doo.

I wish the job market was better around here, seems like I've been all over town, I hate being broke. :(

But thanks for the feedback! Anyone else have any tips?

5. Bump! Please tell me some things that would help me out

Sent from device_name using Grasscity Forum App

6. #6 ArnoldShortman, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013