first post: guerrilla grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by farmerone, Aug 21, 2012.

1. So, farmer two and I have been very busy this summer.

Our latitude shouldn't be in 12/12 for another month, but our location has started flowering one of the strains. All are bag seed of two different strains, mostly headband. The picture is of the second strain though, which is the one that has started flowering as it was started so much earlier. We don't think that the strain is an auto-flower. Our only guess is that being on the western slope of a mountain is shortening the window of sunlight on the location.

Attached Files:

2. looks pretty good. i also have a unknown strain that is now about 6ft and starting to flower. id say about the 1st week of real flowering. i also wont be into 12/12 until around the end of sept. do you think they may be flowering because of the time you planted? i planted in early May. it gets mostly southern sun

3. We actually didn't even plan our grow, it just seemed to happen. We started the plants indoors with crappy equipment in July. We have basically just been pulling our act together as we've gone along. We didn't have money for good equipment and our soil was quite lacking as well. Since we have been immersing ourselves in the vast world of gardening our plants have gotten better, but the earlier plants were definitely suffering. We have been able to speed up our growing process at least three fold simply by giving them the best soil we can, letting them get some good old sunlight and our general organics fertilizers. We are just hoping for a warm fall.

4. here is a bigger pic of our secret garden. there is still a bed that is not in frame.

Attached Files:

5. we still have two months hopefully to flower these babies out : P
    when you start late just throw numbers at it.

6. plants look good, only thing is they are to close in garden

7. [quote name='"lager88"']plants look good, only thing is they are to close in garden[/quote]

Agreed. I planted 3 feet apart and now they are over crowding. Yours won't get so big this late thou so maybe not a huge problem

8. #8 clodhopper, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    welcome farmerone. Ive been growing outdoors for 40 years so you and i represent both ends of the spectrum. HOWDY!

farmerone, the first thing you have to do with regaurds to outdoor is chuck everything you know about indoor. The 2 forms of growing have little in common beyond the grow medium, which can be similar. 12/12 is an artificial time assignment that has no applicable meaning outdoors.

Most indica containing strains of cannabis will begin to flower at 14.25-14.5 hrs of daylenth. I suppose you are about 37-40 lattitude as most outdoor growers growing indica containing cannabis should see flowering by now. I live at 38north and the daylength of 14.4 which comes along mid july, triggers most strains at my lattitude. Since it takes 2 weeks for flowers to appear once flowering has been triggered, i see flower pairs forming by Aug. 1. An outdoor grower should use some caution in choosing indoor strains to grow outdoors as some have been bred and grown indoors to the point that they have indeed acclimated to 12/12 and wont start flowering unil sept, which is really a little late given that outdoor finish times are at least 15 days LONGER than for indoor times. A 60 days strain indoors is an 80 day strain outdoors.

Here is a tool that will help you realize when 14.25 is reached at your lattitude and will give you some indication as to when your plants should begin to flower outdoors.

Good luck and happy harvesting. Ive grown headband indoors and youre a lucky dog!

Daylight Hours Explorer

9. [quote name='"clodhopper"']welcome farmerone. Ive been growing outdoors for 40 years so you and i represent both ends of the spectrum. HOWDY!

farmerone, the first thing you have to do with regaurds to outdoor is chuck everything you know about indoor. The 2 forms of growing have little in common beyond the grow medium, which can be similar. 12/12 is an artificial time assignment that has no applicable meaning outdoors.

Most indica containing strains of cannabis will begin to flower at 14.25-14.5 hrs of daylenth. I suppose you are about 37-40 lattitude as most outdoor growers growing indica containing cannabis should see flowering by now. I live at 38north and the daylength of 14.4 which comes along mid july, triggers most strains at my lattitude. Since it takes 2 weeks for flowers to appear once flowering has been triggered, i see flower pairs forming by Aug. 1. An outdoor grower should use some caution in choosing indoor strains to grow outdoors as some have been bred and grown indoors to the point that they have indeed acclimated to 12/12 and wont start flowering unil sept, which is really a little late given that outdoor finish times are at least 15 days LONGER than for indoor times. A 60 days strain indoors is an 80 day strain outdoors.

Here is a tool that will help you realize when 14.25 is reached at your lattitude and will give you some indication as to when your plants should begin to flower outdoors.

Good luck and happy harvesting. Ive grown headband indoors and youre a lucky dog!

Daylight Hours Explorer[/quote]

Clod, what strains are your favorite for outdoors?

10. #10 farmerone, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    @lager88. Yeah, we decided that since we started all the plants late though just to plant them all relatively close. All the smaller plants were planted in the last month or so. We know that nature controls nature and that is that, but we figured that since they were indoor strains they would wait for the 12/12 or at least a bit longer. I guess we shouldn't be surprised though, taking something from the earth and giving it back to the earth gives things a whole new set of rules.

We know that with the next grow though conditions will have to be way different. We were just brought about 100 more seeds than we were expecting so we had to figure stuff out quick.

85% survival so far for the seedlings. We had a big slug problem, but found an organic slug killer that does exactly what it is supposed to. The only bug problem we are having now is aphids and it's really a minor problem. We have been using neem oil and a second type of organic insecticide which is composed of fish oil, sesame oil and lecithin.

11. Some more pictures =)

Attached Files:

12. #12 farmerone, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    ALOT! around 20 cubic feet. In each of the two larger beds. Those beds are dug at least 18 inches into the mountain. Keep in mind that these plants have only been outside for like two weeks for the large bed on the right and one week in the bed on the left. the growth is explosive once they are outside. Around 10 inches of growth a week. And the stalks are super thick way earlier than before so these girls are about to explode.

13. #13 farmerone, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
    The total number of males pulled this week = 6

I thought farmer one was literally going to cry as he pulled the plants from the ground.

Found two sets of bear tracks, mother and cub. Our biggest female plant in a pot was on her side laying in one of the in-ground beds. She didn't dig in the soil at all, just flipped big rocks around the pot. Guess she was trying to get to something under the pot. Maybe worms? Needless to say, the lady gets panicky when she can't hear her dog out there (as her dog is over-friendly with basically anything that moves).

Pictures tomorrow. Forgot the camera.

14. Well said, Hope it helps farmerone.

15. sweet garden dude

16. i did the same mistake this year and planted 3 feet and they are holding fans

17. @smokintoke thank you man. this is all my hard work and determination really starting to show some results. wait till you see the growth in just a weeks time.
    @lager88 I knew that their time would be short outside so I will just tie them down when they start stealing their neighbors light window. which will be beneficial anyways. buit next year nothing will be planted this close!

18. SLUGS! and rain, much rain. Plants look unhappy because it has been raining for about 3 days. Back to the slugs, they are obviously government slugs hell bent on herbal destruction. Makes sense. We are sending in some of our own little mercenaries, iron phosphate. =)

Attached Files:

19. Beer traps scattered around the garden and/or crushed eggshells around the main stems should keep the slugs away from the ladies. That or some thin copper wire wrapped and kinda "frayed" around the base of the main stem keeps them from climbing up to that fresh new growth(which they looove to munch on). Slugs can't cross copper, it zaps 'em!