First Plant...some photos

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by shalla, Nov 8, 2009.

1. She's looking A LOT BETTER!!!

1. You answered this question with question #4

2. You definitely want her as dark as POSSIBLE during her dark time. If you can put a towel down to stop the light, I suggest it. It probably wont stop her from flowering, but it could stress her.

3. I'm not really seeing anything unhealthy. I wouldn't worry too much about her drooping.

4. If those are white "antennae" then YES! Those are Pistils! GIRLIE GIRL!!!
    Budslinger wrote a sticky HERE that has a photo for you to compare to.
    BTW, where you see those "antennae" is where your bud sites are.

Congratulations and Good Luck with the rest! :smoke:

2. Technically that's a 5 liquid gallon bucket. It's more like an 8 gallon planter, and it's plenty deep, so those plants have the potential to get pretty tall (4+).

I have the same light issue with my closet I tried to resolve with a little homemade room that just doesn't work. There are really only two options because that light will cause your plants to grow both boy and girl parts. Either get a light tight tent or go to target and spend $15 on a curtain and adjustable curtain rod. Hang the curtain just behind the door and when the lights go off for the night just pull the curtain so that the light that does get in gets stopped before it does more damage.

3. Oh wow. And I thought because I didnt have the bucket filled that I only had about 4 gallons of soil. Hmmmm she might be larger than I expected. That great! I just feel a greater responsibility now.

Well, it's good to know its a female. I just used bagseed. Guess I got lucky!
    I had 3 growing in the beginning but 2 didnt work out.
    I came to find out it was because the soil (Miracle Grow Organic) had lots of little mites in it.

I put a sheet up on the outside of the door. I couldnt get in because the lights are already out for the night. So tonight I did a temporary cover outside. Tomorrow I shall.... go.....inside.......

A last thought/concern I am having is going away for 4 days.
    I did post this in another section, but I only got a response from someone who has the same worry...not really an answer. So I thought i'd see if anyone has a suggestion. 4 days....i have timers for the lights. Its one plant, in a tall closet. Will she be fine?

Thanks everyone, you guys have been a big help.

4. She should be fine on water in that 5gal bucket. My girls are in 12" pots (Which is about 2 1/2 gals.) and they go about 5 to 6 days between watering. As long as you water them right before you go and you aren't afraid of the risk of fire while you're gone, she should be fine!
    Good Luck! :smoke:

5. just raise the lights ALOT! they will stretch a lil but they shouldnt grow enough to hit the lights. maybe stick a water globe or 2 in it too?

6. Great news. She finally is starting to show her little white antennas!
    I couldnt, for the life of me, imagine how the flowers started to appear.
    And although you guys were telling me from the pistils...i didnt get it.
    Now I get it!

I have some new pictures. None of them show the buds starting. My camera's
    resolution isnt that great. But you can see what she looks like over all.

So if you can remember I started flowering her about 9-10 days ago. This was
    after a long, slow veg. period....two months. Since just over a week ago,
    she went from 11.5 inches, to 22 inches. WHAT THE HECK!
    Every day when I wake up I have to lift the lights.
    But I guess its because I have her in that huge bucket.
    I am using Bloom Booster from miracle grow. I wont use their soil again, but
    I think the plant food is working well. Its 15-30-15

Ok...so here are the photos. BTW...are the leaves suppose to be this big?
    :ey:

Attached Files:

7. bloody sexxy beasty plants.

8. wow dude your girl is looking VERY healthy.

send her some good vibes from me.

9. Here she is...only two and a half weeks into flowering....well, about 20 days.
    She is getting huge!
    She looks pretty, but getting out of hand. I added some light, and she slowed down just a little. Do I need even more light?

I hope I can halt her vertical growth because i'm going to run out of room. Why did I ever transplant her in a huge bucket. ahhhhh

Attached Files:

10. Mas light. Looking stretched. CFLs need to be within 3 inches of the plant.

11. Shes lookin good as hell keep doin what ur doin.
    and look into how to top your plant that should help if height is a prob

12. There are actually 4 CFL's right above the plant...usually between 1-3 inches. Usually start out between 2-3 and when I get home its closer to 1. Just grows everyday.
    Maybe not enough light around the bottom? And middle?
    Im just afraid I wont be able to go the long haul and complete the flowering. I wanted to flower for 9 weeks because I think the flowering is slow.
    It seems like the plant grows (height) faster than its flowering.
    Should I get rid of the other lights? the 6500K and the 4700K? And replace them with 2700K? so that there are 6 of them? Right now its 4 2700k at 23 watts. and then the other 2.

Also, is it typically for the buds to grow at an exponential rate? In other words, is the growth slow now (flowers) and will increase at a faster rate down the road?
    I am hoping this is the case.

13. Nice plant.

I've read its not unusual for plants to double/tripple in height during flowering.

14. Thank you.

But what is interested is that it creeping up on the tripled size. Its very close.
    And its only about 3 weeks into flowering.

15. Question about flowering.
    Ill start out though by saying the buds are forming nicely. It seems to be a slow process, but its probably because I check on them all the time. I dont really notice growth of the buds until I think back about the week before and try to remember what she looked like.
    Anyway, although the buds look nice, for flowering 3 weeks I feel like they are still small.
    Because the plant is tall and has stretched for light over light (really stretched) there are many bud location spread out all over. So they really arent connecting to make those fat looking buds.

Here comes the question:
    The calyxes seem to be getting larger. I dont know if this swelling is natural or not.
    Or should I be worried about it turning hermie on me.
    Ok, I got this quote from user Medical Marijuana on 420 magazine website. Dont know if he/she is the actual author:

"Another indication of plant maturity is the color of the pistils, the little hairs that grow from inside the calyxes. Their purpose is to collect male pollen to fertilize the ovum inside the calyx, creating a seed. When no male pollen exists calyxes grow dense without any seeds, resulting in sinsemilla cannabis. ...."

So it sounds like it should be getting denser. And this is what I am hoping for. If all is well...then maybe I should be expected the buds to start poppin and lockin! (whatever that means)

Ill post pics again in the next couple days. I REALLY need a better camera. Anyone try taking a photo through a magnifying glass?

16. Here are some photos.
    Flowering for 24 days. Should I be expecting more bud than this for that amount of time?

Also, in the flowering stage, should I follow the same rule as in the veg. stage of letting the soil dry out first?
    I would say the soil is still damp, but its been 8 days since I watered last. Im getting anxious and want to water.

Attached Files:

17. Being that you don't know the strain, and your plant is significantly stunted and stretched, I don't think you should be expecting much of anything at all... But yeah, your plant doesn't look like where I think it should be, but it could just be some shwag for all you know.

18. well, it doesnt look like the yield is going to be great. but i learned a lot. this was only my first grow..and I used bag seed. i was lucky enough to get a female ... and i still think she's pretty =)

I dont think she'll be finished for another 4 weeks, so i think the amount will be doubled from what the photos show. but still....not much

19. Here are some new photos.
    The flowers are growing. But its still just a slow process.
    But by the color of them, it looks like they will be going for a few weeks.
    Im optimistic now. The are still swelling up and look like they are going to explode
    with more pistils.

Which brings me to my next question.
    Some of the pistils are turning color. Only a few, and the rest of the flowers look like they wanna keep growing.
    Can I harvest in sections? In other words, can I harvest only the buds with the half the pistils turned and keep letting the other ones grow?
    This is probably typical and common sense. I wasnt sure if others had to due this because of parts of the plant flowering at different rates.

photos:

Attached Files: