First Outdoor grow, soil question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Nate489, Mar 7, 2014.

1. #1 Nate489, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    Im trying my first ever grow and im trying to do it all organically. Its going to be in an area thats sort of marsh like. Its not always under water but it will be wet for a week after rain.

What i plan on for a mix is pete moss, ewc, granite dust, lime, perlite, horse manure, bone, blood, kelp and alfalfa meal and a little of the native soil.

Strains are gonna be 2 Biomass Diesel autos and the freebie Mazar x Great White Shark i got.

My question is should i add or remove anything because of where im gonna be at? I also plan on adding mulch as well.

2. #2 StackOfSmoke, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    Personally I wouldnt use mulch. And unless you have fencing I wouldnt reccomend blood or bone meal. You could replace both of those with an organic fertilizer such as epsoma.
    Edit: oh yea neem meal too!
    Lift. Smoke.

3. If it's marsh-like and stays wet for a week after raining, you gotta raise the soil level up or your plants will definitely die or be shit.  Either make a big ass mound of soil at least 2 feet high and plant in that, or use something like a garbage can with the bottom cut out filled with soil.  You can also get giant fabric pots for this type of grow location that come in a range of sizes.  I reckomend at least 50 gallon pots or bigger.  The bigger the better!  These marshy type locations can be great spots because animals like deer don't go into them as often, and people don't generally like to venture into places that get there feet wet!  Good luck.

4. hi
    I wouldn't use the same soil mix for seedlings and bigger plant (3 + weeks)
    for seedlings: peat lime perlite ewc is all they need
    for older: what you want in proportion of about 1/4 nutes to 3/4 peat/perlite/lime.  Blood and bone are good but may attract animals (place early if you use them) or use the manure, kelp and alfalfa you have. High p bat gunao or fish bone meal (fish skeletons) or bone meal are good for Phosphorous. Your nutes will cover the N (horse, alfalfa) and the K (kelp) but i'd add something for P.

5. I've been thinking about using big trash bags burried

That was my plan for starting them, was gonna use coffee tins. I have bone meal already, should i add something else for P on top of that?

6. this post just showed up in here wtf lol.

I can add fencing if i need to its area that gets no foot traffic whatsoever. I already have the bone and blood meal but if the budget allows it ill try something new. Neem cakes and rosemary were gonna be my bug stuff as well as maybe some ladybugs since the local garden store has them

7. no bone meal will be enough just place it early so it doesn't attract critters or use high p bat guano
    elevating the soil is good advice for those locations, add lime under to raise the marsh's acidity
    skip the protection against insects
    your best friend is the sun will make them healthy and have a high brix level taht won't attract bugs
    I use 15 gallon pots but aim at max sun and enough nutes at bottom (upper half is for veg, lower half for flowering) proportions are 1/4 nutes 3/4 peat perlite lime

8. #8 Nate489, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
    Im hoping to get the soil in the ground within the next 2 weeks and than i hope to have the plants in them by mid-late may. The ground still being snow covered and frozen isn't helping my cause, i wanted to dig the holes and such today

Ill keep that in mind for pots as well

9. #9 Corto Malteze, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
    ok man

10. Not sure what you mean by burrying them.. honestly you should keep all of the soil you bring in above the natural soil.. just make a mound or use something to make a raised bed, or use fabric pots.  You really want ur soil to be able to drain after raining.. and if u have the plants at the same level as the marsh, they can't drain.