first outdoor grow - new zealand

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Ripsta, Oct 27, 2009.

1. hey guys !

so ive been smoking for about 6 years now but I havnt grown before so I thought id give it a shot. im on a strict time frame of 2 or 2.5 months so I have chosen the auto strain easyryder (AK47xlowryder) feminised.

im growing somwhere on a 20acre farm which is situated on a large hill in New Zealand. It gets alot of sun.

my main questions are:

will growing with no nutrients be a problem? I will be growing in dug out holes filled with soil. also what should I look for when choosing a bag of soil? my reasoning is I cant afford nutrients, although I do like the idea of growing them how mother nature intended lol

also ive been researching and I have come to think jiffy pellets would be a good idea as I can have them on a windowsill in jiffy pots until I feel they are ready to be transferd outdoors. is this a good idea? would a windowsill be sufficient for the first week or whatever? also should I germinate in paper towel first or put seeds straight into the jiffys?

thanks guys I know its a lot of questions but I want to start growing them and I dont want to screw it up!

cheers :D

2. Hello!
    This is gonna be my first season growing in NZ!
    Can I suggest you skip the jiffy pots? It's way easier to germ in paper towels, then put it in soil in some small plastic pots (10cm or bigger).

Dig those holes DEEP and fill it with good, rich, dark, moist soil, before your plants actually need the transplant.

I know it sucks spending money on nutrients, but i picked up a bottle of Yate's Organic Nitrosol for 8 bucks at the Warehouse. Nutrients WILL be needed if you want a decent crop, but they don't have to be expensive or unnatural.

When your seedlings pop through the soil, give them as much light as possible, stick them outside away from anything that creates shade, and let them get FULL sun. Window sills are ok, but not great. Put a plastic bag over the top of the pot, and put an elastic around it to hold it on, it'll help hold the moisture in so you don't have to water the seedling for a long time.

I've been growing for a while, but never in NZ, so it's a learning experience for me too!
    Hope I answered some of your questions!

3. hey im growing for te first time in australia
    not to far from you New Zeelanders
    id suggest germinating in paper towel and transporting to soil once sprouted
    when your looking at soil look for a good mix of potting mix with blood and bone
    pretty much learn from your mistakes and keep growing :)

4. #4 Ripsta, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
    would this $8 'Yate's Organic Nitrosol' be enough for 6 lowryder? also i have heard when it comes to lowryders less nutes is more.

do you have any experience growing lowryders?

also are you saying put each germinated seed into a small pot or cup of soil until they are bigger and then transplant them into soil? how do i transplant them from the cup without causing damage?

cheers :D

5. A bottle should be enough for a half dozen low riders, IMO.
    I haven't grown any, but i know quite a few people who have, and they used very little nutes.

Yeah, put the germinated seeds into a small pot/cup until they're bigger and can handle the weather outside (it's windy as here, and the rain it definitely too strong for them today).
    Then you can cut the pot/cup open for the transplant, or tap the bottom of it to get the whole cup of dirt to come out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. awesome thanks for the great advice mate :D

im going to germinate them in about 2 weeks so hopefully the wind will have died down a bit and the sun will be out even more by then. how long do you suspect I will need to keep them in cups before I transplant?

and should I put the cups out in the sun during the day and bring them inside at night?

cheers

7. also one other question I forgot to mention...

getting bags of soil to the area that im growing in will be a bit of a problem. I have access to alot of horse and cow manure at the location.

could I grow them in manure or a mixture of manure and the natural soil in the earth or somthing?

8. haha sorry got one more question to add:

ive found a bottle of yates thrive concentrate flower and fruit. there is about 250ML left which apparently makes up 100litres of plant food.

here is a link: Thrive Concentrate Flower & Fruit Plant Food - Yates products

would this be a good product to use as a nutrient? and would 250ml of concentrate be enough?

also how do I add nutrients lol? do I mix the concentrate into the water before I water them? how often should I water them and should I add nutrient every time i water ?

sorry its alot of questions but once they are all answerd I think im ready to go :D

cheers mate

9. keep them in the cups until they're strong enough to go in ground. 3 weeks is usually long enough for mine.
    yeah, bring them in at night at 1st, but make sure they're out for as many daylight hours as possible! start to leave them out when you feel they can handle it.
    That Thrive is the wrong NPK ratio. They'll want high N and low PK during veg.
    hope this helps!
    keep me updated m8

10. would the thrive fruit and flower be good for the flowering stage? as auto strains basically skip the vegitation stage dont they?

and should I make use of the unlimited supply of horse and cow manure that I have available? how should I use this?

cheers

11. If it rains a lot where you live, then i suggest after every time it rains shake all your plants or they will mold..and mold is bad!:smoking:

12. If your going to use manure, then let it sit in a masive pile to breakdown. Once the Earthworms move into it, you know its ready for your plants, this is especially important with Chicken shit, wich will straight out kill your plants if you apply it fresh.

My Personal faviorite fertilizer combo, which ive used on half dozen grows now, is Seasol and Powerfeed, its made here in Australia, but you might be able to get it in NZ too. Its organic and not expensive (plus you mix it down in buckets of water, so it gos along way)

13. my cousin lives in NZ! you mite sell to him! lol

14. I would recommend well composted sheep manure over cow or horse shit. Finding sheep manure compost should not be a problem in Kiwiland. Mix a good amount in with your soil and this should take your plants through veg and help them in the flowering stage. An application or two of department store nutrients to help build buds should be all you need for a decent crop.

15. chur bro ,
    id suggest taking a sample of the soil you'll be growing in to check the ph reading first .
    its important
    you need it around/between 5.5 PH - 6.0 PH ( no lower , no higher )
    depending where your growing you might have a problem with early morning frost
    even in summer !
    but honestly bro id do a indoor grow first
    just to get your females organised first
    simple step , take cuttings number your cuttings from what mother it came from then flower your cuttings , easy as aye
    G/LUCK

16. Check out this watering solution! There is an NZ distributor, who sells it by the metre and all fittings, CHEAP, and it doesn't need any pressure to water (well, very little)!
    I can't wait for it to come in the mail!

http://www.leeakyhose.com.au/index.php

17. What kind of critters do you have around that hill? You may need to fence it off or all your time and effort will be for nothing when you find your plants are but a lonely chewed up stem.

18. hey guys im from da south island, gr8 weather, jst chucked mine out lookin gr8

19. Hey guys im down south and uh my seeds arent growin ive tryed germing 2 seeds, nothing worked and planted 2 into some pots, and nuthing has hapend and suggestions on what ta do

20. Google "paper towel germination", follow the method.

I believe you can give your plant alittle more of a boost if you do the follwoing before transfering it to your growspot....

Once your beans have germinated, move them into tiny pots, 500ml pots are fine. After 2 weeks, move them to a 750ml pot... then 2 weeks after than, move them to a 1 litre pot...

This process developes a compact root ball, by allowing very slight "rootbound". The roots grow out from the seed, hit the pots walls, double back and start heading back towards the centre of the pot.

Repotting the plant allows for a new growth of roots outward, and then when they hit the new limits, they double back inward again. (just add a small handful of soil into the new larger pot each time, and try not to break up the old rootball)

This process doesnt stop the developement of large "tap roots" later on in the plants life (i've dug up rootballs before to check them out at end of grows)

This has to be the best way to establish a new plant imho, and get it ready for life as a big sturdy tree when you eventually plant it (in 25 litres of awsome soil) in your faviourite Guerilla growspot.
    A solid foundation of rootball, allowing more survivability in breezes, and eventualy "heavy loads".

I've used this method for my Outdoor for the last few years, and I think its great.