First Outdoor Grow In Maine

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by darren reefnugs, Jun 24, 2014.

1. hello all. i started a thread in the outdoor section but figured id move over here since my other topic was basically a journal in the wrong section.

ive had a rough time so far, being new and all. i tried to over think it and make the "super soil" that's going around in the organic and outdoor thread. bad idea for a 1st timer. i had way too much in the soil. blood/bone meal, lobster compost and moo cow compost. needless to say i burned my plants. 

i transplanted today into just happy frog/perlite. about a 60/40 mix. i also have JUST potting soil and a "block" of peat moss...the smaller block. ill use those to even out the hot soil in the ground. kinda try to cool it off by adding plain stuff. 

i have some photos from the other day that i can post later, or you can check out my gallery. i couldnt tell you which ones are which anymore as i dug them all out. they are all the same strain anyways so its not a biggie. the only 2 i left in the ground were the 2 that were planted earlier in only happy frog. they seem to be doing well. i did move one up to have a "mound", and thought about doing it to the other one but ive already tried lst training it and didnt think moving it owuld be any good. might be better to just leave it be and as it gets taller just add more soil around the base.

i do have some ferts already..as mentioned above some bone/blood meal. ive also got kelp meal, and a 6 yr old bottles of floranova grow and bloom and a 6 yr old bottle of 5-1-1 alaskan fish emulsion. im not sure if they are any good tho. the fish is a light brown and the FN grow is a darker brown. never even opened the bloom. failed attempt at growing that was cut short because of a baby.

i hope youve made it this far. i try to get on this site daily and read read read! i do have a semi decent camera and will take plenty of pics as the year goes on. im starting a new job this week too. im hoping the good vibes form finding a new job can roll over to the garden. im going to guess i wont see much for improvement for a week or so, some of the side roots ripped when i dug them out, so shock should set in. im hoping they make it....i need to grow enough to last all year (about 8 oz and i have 8 plants right now, will cull to 6 for the legal amount when time to flower, if there is more than 6 growing)

this is the baby thats doing good
    View attachment 141557
    View attachment 141556
    View attachment 141555
    View attachment 141554

2. its been nothing but cloudy or rain lately. all plants look alot better in the happy frog though. too wet to go today.

3. finally some sun today. went out and snapped a few shots. they look to be loving the new pots. i even tied one over it was so tall. the one i staked down(pic 2 and 4) needs more stakes! so many new tops growing

Attached Files:

4. no pics today but plants looking good. had a grower buddy stop by my spot to check them out. he said they were a bit small and that i need to start getting nutes into my water mix. guess i need to find something. prolly gonna go with the simple gh starter kit or the general organics kit...havent decided which would be better

5. ordered my gh starter kit tonight...finally. i did give them a shot of the floranova grow that i have, but its 6 years old so i dont know how well it has held up.

the plant with the green zip ties and stakes in the above pics is really taking off. i wish they all were doing that haha. ill post pics when i can, ive been real busy lately with a new job and all...havent had as much garden time as id like.

6. heres some photos. im seeing the fruits of my lst labor with the bushy ass plant! :) ive tied them all down hoping they can bush out some too. 

i have 1 that is yellowing up at the bottom. i gave it a small dose (1/2 tablespoon per gallon) of floranova grow, but im not sure if its any good anymore. i did order some new nutes and they will be here on monday/teusday. 

i noticed today that the roots are at the bottom...does that mean its time to transplant? 

Attached Files:

7. i feel like im talking to myself here haha

8. They are looking great... I suped I can't answer most questions, I still am a noob myself, but I would think if your seeing roots at the bottom then it might be time to transplant, or wait untill you are not seeing much growth, but like I said I am a noob so take my advice with a grain of salt....

Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. thanks for the reply...nice to know im not talking to myself anymore hehe. ill prolly give them another week in the pots, then transplant and prepare for flowering. we have a good week of sun coming so im hoping for some good results

10. so since my nutes arrived early...and ill be working during next week...i decided to transplant today. they were ready! tons of roots on the bottoms and a few on the sides. was hard to see the sides as the soil was so dry it was breaking up. only had 1 that "fell apart". it was in a huge pot and i just couldnt manage it with the soil so dry. the rootball broke up real bad but i was quick with 2 buckets of soil to spread around it. now they all have nice mounds, minus 2 that just had to bottom of the pot cut off and place on top of a 10 gallon rubbermaid tub and the other went o top of a 6.5? gallon bucket. its like a 5 gallon but taller. was hard to water the soil in the big bucket since the pot only leaves about 1 in on each sides til it hits bucket. 

gave them all the "week 3 veg stage" feed from the gh feeding schedule. will let them dry out good again then it should rain on monday. if i can remember ill snap some photos later when the sun isnt so bright..makes the pics look too shiny

11. i expected rain today....got full on sun. so i took some pics. 

i think they are still hundry for the nutes, heres hoping it rains so that it can water them. i noticed 2 looked "droopy" but it may be overwatering. i wanted to make sure they were plenty wet when i transplanted, and then we got a light rain last night. thankfully its dried up today. gonna be a rough week for weather. 

ill start with the 2 best plants that have been out there since 6-3. i did "transplant" one to give it more soil and mounded it up a few weeks ago. its starting to resume growth. 

pic 1 is the lsted girl all beasted out. pic 2 is right next to it...the one i added more soil too.

pic 3 and 4 are just other plants. nothign great or bad about them

pic 5 has a slight yellowing issue, but i already gave it nutes the other day so hopefully it turns around by the end of the week.

pic 6 is one that looks droopy...but its green

pic 7 is another droopy one and pic 8 is that yellowing polant from last update. the yellowing has stopped but its still super light green. i will prolly battle the whole way with this one. prolly shouldnt have fimmed it when it was hungry for N.

im gonna let them all dry out today. i let them get SUPER dry before i transplanted. im hoping thats why those 2 are so droopy. i gave them a big watering not knowing the rain was coming. didnt amount to much rain but it still got watered too quickly.

i need to make some kind of roof for my area for when it rains and i dont want them to get watered.

Attached Files:

12. #12 darren reefnugs, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
    the droopy ones came around after we had a good rain. sadly the rain was super hard so it washed out some of my perlite from my mounds. next year i will find a bit better way to cover the top. i dont need anything to help keep the soil moist, we get rain almost weekly here, but itd be nice to not have to waste 5$ worth of perlite every time it gets real nasty out.

will also be trying to build a greenhouse roof to put over my fence to stop the rain

i think im going to remove the cinder blocks from under the big bushy plant. give it more airflow underneath, plus i can better check the soil. ive tried to keep then all tied down as best as i can. i used milk jugs and tied the string to them to help with the bigger branches, the stakes dont hold for crap on anything with a meaty stem.

on a personal note, ive aquired a 1/4 of master kush. im hoping to get in contact with the person i recieved my kush and critical clone from to see what the full name is. not sure if all "kush" varieties are the same or just very similar, but if i can grow some of this or something as potent ill be happy

13. if your interested you should swing by in true north and free and post your stuff

14. since ive noticed the pistils forming on all the plants when i gave them their nute does it was the transition dose this time. they are all looking real good. the big one had some P def showing so i gave that one a bit more bloom.

15. #15 darren reefnugs, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    pics taken yesterday. i have some minor bug issues. they are snacking on my leaves a bit. ill have to spray later tongiht. things are going mostly smooth. some signs of N def still...but they did go 10 days between feedings.  i did put up chicken wire between the 2 in cinder blocks. they were growing into each other. now they can at least stay apart. looking back i dont think i should have put them so close. too late now, lesson learned

dont mind the leg shot either haha. you can even see my mint plant next to the big bushy one. its actually helpong keep most bugs away, minus slugs/snails

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      511.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      571.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      512.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      555.4 KB
      Views:
    • beast 2.jpg
      beast 2.jpg
      File size:
      526.4 KB
      Views:
    • beasty.jpg
      beasty.jpg
      File size:
      552.4 KB
      Views:
  16. #16 EmeraldBUDZ, Jul 25, 2014
    Nice!! It looks like pic 6 has nutrient burn going on you should flush it with a few gallons of water but the rest look wicked awesome ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406248044.935524.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406248007.639628.jpg

These are my little ones
    The Meaning of Life......Is To Give Life Meaning......

17. #17 darren reefnugs, Jul 25, 2014
    and here i was thinking it was still hungry for more...it has some lower leaves yellowing and falling off. a leaf or two showed a P def as well. 

the flash on my camera and the lightning make the photos super bright

haha didnt realize you were talking about the older picture. yes it was burnt to hell. had too much of a super soil and i didnt give it time to cook down. plus i sprayed them with some too strong neem oil spray. they have recovered tho 

18. They look good bro, you should try some really good blooming nutes. Ive grown a few plants literally not but 6inches away from each other in a group.. Nutrient wise ur going to be feeding them and its not going to ever be a problem.. Are you going to make hash with the trimmings? If you use great flowering nutrients you should be able to pull 3-4oz's off each bitch

19. this run im using the GH 3 part starter pack. it comes with all the extras as well. the last feeding i gave them the transitional phase feed. next ill prolly start the bloom phase. they all have the pistils on them and a few look like they are starting to gather at the tops, but isnt july too early to start budding?

20. Plants are looking great man I'm subbed, What strain are they?