First outdoor grow, any advice?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KushKapn1991, Jun 21, 2016.

1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just looking for a few tips, or constructive criticism, or just general input. I know I have pest problems, one of which is fungus gnats from tons of rain in the mornings last week followed by hot humid afternoons. I am letting the soil completely dry out then will be watering it using neem oil and insecticidal soap in the water to hopefully kill what larvae are left after it dries out really good. I have sprayed the plants with insecticidal soap and it has killed off all the pests other than the gnats from what I can tell....no more new holes or damage. Im assuming the yellowing of the new growth is caused by the gnat larvae in the soil? Btw this is just some bagseed from some pretty great mid I had a while back. I want to actually know what I'm doing outdoors before I chance fucking up good genetics! Lol

Thanks in advance!

2. Hey homie, as far as constructive criticism goes, the only thing I see is your plants are super close together. With them being that close the roots may fight over the soil and could choke each other out. It's not the end of the world or even a prominent issue but the chance is there. What kind of soil are you using? I used ff tree frog with microchoze to make sure the base nutrients were available. If your using native soil or regular hardware store dirt you may have to cater some nutes for your girls. Yellowing is normally indicative to a lack of nitrogen, not due to bugs in the soil. One of my first grows I read somewhere that agave nectar would help, so I made a solution and sprayed my plants. The next day I had a plethora of gnats swarming in my grow room. They got on the leaves, in the soil and in the buds!! But, my leaves stayed green. Have you ever used molasses?
    All and all man, imo your doing a fine job. Don't get too caught up worrying or your going to create an issue trying to fix one and you could go down hill quick.
    Kiss (keep it simple stupid) is an acronym that I've lived by since I've started growing. If this is your first grow, just try and keep it alive and next time add something new and so forth. I'm what you would consider a novice myself so all I'm telling you is what I've learned first hand. I hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the advice! And yeah I know they are too close but it was my only option, it was my only spot I could find that was discreet while still on my property. Even though all the property around me is very rural its still not mine and I'm a man of morals. But I am just using a mixture of some organic soil I got at the local feed store mixed 50/50 with natural soil I dug up from the forest floor that was jet black from years and years of natural composting lol I added some blood meal, bone meal, dried cow patties, a couple handfuls of pea gravel from a local creek (to kind of act like perlite and allow better drainage and avoid clumping), and some wood ash from a buddies wood stove. That's all I had to ammend with atm. Then I let that concoction sit for about a month before I planted in it. And Nitrogen Def is initially what I thought too, but I didnt want to do exactly what you were talking about and try to fix something I wasnt sure of and make it worse (have done that numerous times on a few indoor grows) so I went and bought a soil ph and nutrient test kit for like $20 and ran the little tests and it came back saying my N was "high" my P was "medium-high" and my K was "high". So I checked ph to rule out lockout and it came back ~6.5 so that was fine....only reason I assumed the gnats was reading how fungus gnat larvae will eat away at roots, and the resulting damage can cause "phantom deficiences". But I went ahead and whipped up a foliar feed at 1/2 strength just in case with the best nutes I could get locally. Didnt want to feed them directly into soil because of said gnat issue and wanting the soil to completely dry out. Its been a couple days since the foliar feed with no noticeable change yet, but as soon as the soil dries out I will feed with nutes in my watering at 1/2 strength and see what happens. Really dont want to have the "phantom deficiency" thing to be right and burn them while they are trying to recover from the pests and stress them too much. Sorry for writing a book. Just like to put all facts out there maybe it will assist you more on advice! Thanks buddy!

Sent from my LGL33L using Grasscity Forum mobile app