first outdoor grow after a ton of research... need some help on specifics!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by clownin, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Hello GC,

After I had lurked this forum for many weeks I decided to start an AK-47 plant of my own. I got the plant when it was about 4 weeks into growth. It is potted in a pot a little bit smaller than a 5 gallon pot. It is in a good soil mixture as it was bought from a grower, however it is unknown what the exact mixture/pH/nutrients of the soil is.

I am using a 5-1-1 fertilizer (fish emulsion) and mixing it with a gallon of water when watering. I water around every week and I fertilize around every three weeks. It is in a position where it gets maybe 3-4 hours max of direct sunlight. I have put some mothballs on the ground in the area around the plant and the half-full box in the bushes by the plant to repel animals. I am using an organic insecticide which says its primary use is for ticks and mosquitos. Is this okay?

So far the plant looks fairly healthy, however there are some issues that I need some help on and some questions I need answered.

1) There are some holes in some of the lower leaves. It appears that these are insect bites but I'm not sure. Should I be spraying the organic insecticide on the leaves of the plant? Or just the air around the plant, or just around the plant? I've never really heard the specifics on this one, even though it's probably very obvious. I can't say I have much of a green thumb.

2) Compared to many of the photos I'm seeing on here of young plants, it seems the plant's leaves are significantly darker than most. I don't know if its because it is a different strain or if there is a problem with nutes/lighting/watering. What does this mean if anything?

3) This may go along with the last question, but should I move the plant to an area where it gets more direct sunlight?

4) I just checked the plant today and it appears that it has white pistils all around the base of the leaves. I may be completely wrong about this, but does this mean it is flowering and it is a female? If so, why is it flowering now at a height of about 10 inches? Does this have to do with not enough direct sunlight as well?

I'd like to use this thread as a bit of a journal and question/answer thread, so here goes nothing. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated, as I am a newbie to growing medicine. :smoking:

Thanks guys.

-clownin

2. 1. If its organic and it says you can use it on consumable plants than yeah go for it man. Maybe avoid spraying it onto the buds when they appear.

2. It's the strain, don't worry about it.

3. If you can easily move the plant to somewhere with more sunlight than yes, absolutely you should move it. 3-4 hours wont do you to good. Try for more like 5 or 6 if you can. I don't know anything about your site but if you can trim branches to make more sunlight try that. Sometimes one branch can buy you an hour of direct sunlight.

4. Yes, congrats it's a female. It could be flowering because the equinox was monday for the northern hem and the days are now getting shorter and that strain is touchy to light, or because it's an autoflower which means it produces buds regardless of light. hope this helps man

Ask any other questions you got. GOod luck man.

3. Thanks a lot for the response. However should I be concerned if the plant is already flowering when it is only like 10 inches tall?

4. Like I said man, it's all genetics. The thing about he Cannabis plant is that their is a strain that came from every single part of the world. Plants grow in their enviroment the best. Some strains can be more resiliant to mold because they came from a part of the world where the climate is good for mold growth, or plants that can take a lot of heat. Some plants that come from areas of the world with long growig seasons don't flower untill November. Some places have such short growing seasons autoflowers are grown there, that only have a lifespan of 2 to 4 months to produce flowers before the harsh cold comes. If your growing bag seed your plants could be any one of the above and a million more variables. (Height, yield, color, etc...)

So you could just have some autos, or if you stressed them out with light they could be flowering.

5. I would have to say its flowerin because ur prob not meetin it light requirements

6. Ahh that is a good point. I'm going to give it a few days in the full sunlight (I moved it) and see what happens.

7. ok your plant is female because the pistils. Yes, give it as much direct sunlight as possible(if its outdoors the max is about 14, so try to get as much as possible).
    If the leaves are dark thats okay. If they are dark and they dont point straight out, if they droop a little, then that means you definitely definitely should water it less than it is getting. if u arent sure i can show u pics of my plants leaves when they were drooping and u will know. just let me kno if u want to see
    and about the insecticide you can spray it with any organic insecticide but the only one i have experience with is neem oil/spray. if you use this, you can spray the leaves, the underside of the leaves, stems, soils, and even the container that the plant is in, so insects wont crawl up it.
    And depending on what type of soil its in, you may need or want to use nutrients if you arent using them so far. these are easy to understand and i would recommend nutrients made by company called foxfarm
    goodluck

8. ticks and mosquitos feed on animals, with blood. Try another. i recommend neem oil/spray but there r many

9. Yeah, then it is definitely overwatered. We've been getting a lot of rain unfortunately :(. But thanks a lot for the help. Where can you get neem oil? I went to home depot and could not find anything.

10. Bump. Where can I get neem oil?

11. I bought some neem oil at Lowes and the hydro shop