First outdoor grow! 5 seedlings

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by skyler8675, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Hi guys, im new to this site, hope to be a regular. Just planted 5 germed seeds from a sack of great dro we had, 4 sprouted 6/7/10 so there now 4 days old. Ill have pictures and videos up soon.

2. Looks good to me so far. Did they go directly in the ground? And if it becomes a problem, you might want to clear out some of those stones and larger pieces of mulch, but if not, no worries.

3. Thanks! yes they were planted directly into the ground after germed. but one question, i see white spots and i read there bugs, i have released many lady bugs two days ago but its seeming not to help and there not sticking around.

I made a garlic spray with a pot full of water, one big scoop of minced garlic, and two cigarette butts. should i use it and does that sound safe, its all i had around the house for ingredients.

4. I wouldn't worry about the spots yet to be honest. I wouldn't spray anything around / on the plants until you've gotten them a bit bigger. Organic matter is a bit more resilient than I think many of us realize.

Definitely avoid cigarettes though. There's way too many acidic / poisonous compounds in cigs to make that a safe decision, especially since your plants are so young.

5. ok thank you, it seems like im battling with many pest outdoors around me. I see small flys everyonce in awhile and i have seen a spider in my garden, but i was told that spiders are good.

should i worry about this? Also, should my plants recover soon and do i need to do somthing when ever they become stronger and how long is that?

6. I would look at the foliage around your site. If you notice specific leaf damage, research it and find the cure. If there's only flies and spiders, I wouldn't be too worried. Other pests like mites and leaf miners can be an issue.

As for when to treat the potential problem, it's up in the air. Growing outdoors has tons of variables, and some things you simply can't control completely. You can get rid of smaller animals by taking a piss around the perimeter (maybe 500ft-.5mi), but insects are tricky. Specialized organic mulches, lady bugs, urea, soap? Tons of solutions exist, but I think 60-65% of them either don't work or can be replaced by an industrial insecticide. Just be careful, because you're going to be smoking a small portion of whatever you put into your plants.

7. true, is not much around my site ill try the piss thing i have been drinking ever since i got off work today lol Do you think they could get better just letting nature take its course?

Heres my garden. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

8. I just got off work and checked on my plants all is looking good. I planted some more seeds of a diffrent stran on the right side of my garden, wonder what they will turn out like.

Will sun be a problem, they dont get anylight on the backside of the house till about 2pm. so they get light from 2pm-7pm. Is that a problem?

9. My biggest plant is starting to have small burnt tips on the biggest leaves. I have a feeling it will get worse.. any ideas???? ill get a pic up soon

10. Will your plants get enough sun with that fence there? And did you dig fairly deep so their roots have a chance to expand in some decent soil?

11. I left my hose on last night and flooded the entire backyard and garden, i transplanted all 4 of them to 5 gallon buckets, each one is in one bucket with good soil mix so this should be better and they will get more sun.

12. I flooded the garden last night. I should have never went out to water while i was high lol
    I left the hose on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I transplanted them into 4 buckets, two died. The two buckets on the left i replanted two seeds in each one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My biggest one did survive though..

13. okay i dont know how to post a pick on a forum, help please

14. click "Go Advanced" then you will have more iptions. Click the one that looks like a paper clip. It will paper clip a picture/sound/anytihng to your msg

15. They look pretty good so far.. just keep checking to see if they get real tall and skinny then they arent getting enough sun. the stem will keep growing to get more sun. They probly arent doing that tho, i cant tell.
    that picture of the flood is hilarious tho

16. Not so funny lol

Question: the tips of my plants leaves are turning brown. my other plant did the same thing...
    It looks like there burning somehow..

17. May just be me and my personal preference, but have you considered smaller pots, you dont need those 5gals till at-least a month in, smaller pots will heat the soil inside of them faster, warm soil essentially will grow your (lady)'s roots which you should have before you transplant to the soil(garden). and with smaller pots you can get a much better feel of the plant as to when it needs to be watered and such, go smaller and just before you can see the roots through the bottom holes of the pot thats when you should transplant.

and be on the lookout for those slugs

18. first week grow.jpg
    these are my babies they are about a week in a half old

19. Where the ladys are i get the most sun but i dont like the look of the 5 gallon buckets so in that case and the fact that it could help them to grow if i switched, im going to get new pots.

Also my leaves look like there burning take a look. the smaller plant seems to be dieing, chould this be from transplanting from the flood?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]